• Hello everyone, we will rebooting the web server on Sunday February 17th 2019 at 1800 (6pm) GMT / 1300 (1pm) EST to apply some server updates.

We will also be applying some updates to the forums software.

This will result in approximately 30 minutes of downtime

The Unwhinge Thread

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
Awww, that's really nice. I know what it's like having a shy, nervous dog and although I don't know what happened with Sigi it sounds like he's on the right track :)

Thank you! Been a hell of a time, a year and one destroyed family relationship to get him back to me. He has all the signs of being beaten, and he was starved to the point I could get my thumbs and fingers to meet around his waist. So lots of patience and tlc needed

Schrodinger's Zebra

Increasingly unlikely
Thank you! Been a hell of a time, a year and one destroyed family relationship to get him back to me. He has all the signs of being beaten, and he was starved to the point I could get my thumbs and fingers to meet around his waist. So lots of patience and tlc needed
Oh goodness no! That's awful! :( I'm so glad he's back with you, at least we know you'll look after him right. Poor thing.

Give him a hug for me, won't you, and I'll give our two dogs a hug for Sigi.

:fire::mad::ranting:at people who mistreat animals.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
A new delivery company has started up in our area. I don't know the details of their model, but they have an agreement with scores of local restaurants and will take phone orders to deliver anything on those retaurants' menus to your home for, pretty much a few quid. Hence, tonight Miss Yith and I had veggie burgers, chips and onion rings delivered from a diner attached to a pool bar about 10mins drive from here. Food was at our door 30mins after ordering.

It's awesome!

Schrodinger's Zebra

Increasingly unlikely
Took the dogs to the local park earlier, then walked back via a different route home as Dog2 is now comfortable enough with the normal route that she keeps her tail up (and occasionally wagging) all the way home.

On the new route today her tail went down as soon as we turned onto the unfamiliar street (as we expected) but a bit of coaxing and 'silly voice' and she soon lost some of her fear.

This is good progress; a few months ago she would Not Have Enjoyed The New Route At All.

Gizmos Mama

Ephemeral Spectre
Take the mortgage you can afford to pay off early and ensure the terms of the mortgage allow this without penalty. If that means a smaller house or flat, live with it, you'll be far far better off in the long run.
This is exactly how I'm going to be paying my mortgage early. House is 650 sqft, built in 1912, which is pretty old, (not for UK), but it is for here.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Fabulous! I'm really jealous, especially as the weather was so nice for you.
Tuesday was awful, constant rain and strong winds, Wednesday was lovely, I cannot wait till November when I am back. (I must remember my emergency survival kit this time, it isn't much good left in london)

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
I swapped my battered old buckle weightlifting belt for a lever belt. Just need to break it in now. And I got my IPF membership sorted so I'm all good for getting my arse kicked at the Christmas meet

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
We had a great day today .. it started with a phone call telling me I've got the job I was going for .. wicked! .. so I called my Mum who's still in hospital with the good news and she's doing better as well .. my final hospital consultation this evening and I've been given a clean bill of health :cool: (my consultant had heard of the Disney Land Rocky Mountain roller coaster ignobel cure for kidney stones mentioned on this site, in fact, he's been including it as the final slide in his lectures to his students! .. apparently, the best cure is to hang patients upside down and thump them on the side but he say's his patients understandably don't go for that option) .. and we bought some cool crap for Halloween including an animatronic bird in a cage.

My diet will have to change to "meat free days" so the Mrs has got in a load of fruit and veg and been teasing me calling me a "veggy poof" .. I don't care, vegetables are tastier than most meat anyway :) .. my farts are going to become epic ..

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
My diet will have to change to "meat free days" so the Mrs has got in a load of fruit and veg and been teasing me calling me a "veggy poof" .. I don't care, vegetables are tastier than most meat anyway :) .. my farts are going to become epic ..
*opens front door and sniffs cautiously*

Tigerhawk

Resistance is futile!
*farts in hand and throws it at Coal*
*shuts door and bolts it*
Nobody smoke and please open a window!

(Glad you to are downwind from me!)

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
We had a great day today .. it started with a phone call telling me I've got the job I was going for .. wicked! .. so I called my Mum who's still in hospital with the good news and she's doing better as well .. my final hospital consultation this evening and I've been given a clean bill of health :cool: (my consultant had heard of the Disney Land Rocky Mountain roller coaster ignobel cure for kidney stones mentioned on this site, in fact, he's been including it as the final slide in his lectures to his students! .. apparently, the best cure is to hang patients upside down and thump them on the side but he say's his patients understandably don't go for that option) .. and we bought some cool crap for Halloween including an animatronic bird in a cage.

I think I might be unpleasant company in the office this afternoon - my lunch will consist of carrots, broccoli, beans and peas with... a lentil burger and a mushroom sausage. It's gonna blow!! Though at least I'll have a wind-assisted bike ride home.

escargot

Beloved of Ra

All great news! I'm glad for you all.

You might have a look at those huge displays of packet mixes in the supermarket. Often 4 sachets for £2.

I get the ones for titivating vegetables, like roast potato and sweet potato wedge seasonings and ratatouille etc. There are also meat-dish ones.

We both work full-time and I'm vegetarian. We eat different meals at different times so they're convenient.

Techy thinks I'm a MARVELLOUS cook! :evil:

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
One of the people I was lifting with yesterday got a vid of me block pull deadlifting and I just realised I look kind of like a goldfish or something breathing in between reps

Schrodinger's Zebra

Increasingly unlikely

Ooh that's excellent news all round, Swifty, I really am pleased for you (and your Mum). :joyf:

Congrats on the new job :)

I've never eaten meat in my life so I don't know what it will be like for you to go without... but I would recommend Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni as a new meal to try. We've bought it 'ready made' a few times and last night decided to try making it ourselves... really easy (I was even able to help!) and tasted just as good if not better. :nods:

Just to be extra fancy we topped it with Norwegian Jarlsberg cheese.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Ooh that's excellent news all round, Swifty, I really am pleased for you (and your Mum). :joyf:

Congrats on the new job :)

I've never eaten meat in my life so I don't know what it will be like for you to go without... but I would recommend Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni as a new meal to try. We've bought it 'ready made' a few times and last night decided to try making it ourselves... really easy (I was even able to help!) and tasted just as good if not better. :nods:

Just to be extra fancy we topped it with Norwegian Jarlsberg cheese.
Thanks and that sounds tasty, I like spinach .. would you mind sending me the recipe please?

(I tried some supermarket vegie soya burgers this morning and it was like eating cardboard)

Schrodinger's Zebra

Increasingly unlikely
Thanks and that sounds tasty, I like spinach .. would you mind sending me the recipe please?

(I tried some supermarket vegie soya burgers this morning and it was like eating cardboard)

Recipe? Wot's that then? ;)

(I'm supposed to be reading an important thread on the website post but I'll do this reply first). :)

Ingredients
1 tub of ricotta cheese
Bag of frozen spinach
Box of cannelloni tubes
2 x Coleman's cheddar cheese sauce mixes
1 x Norwegian Jarlsberg cheese wedge

We cooked some spinach from the bag in a pan, didn't know how much to use but when it was cooked we mixed it with the tub of ricotta cheese until it looked sort of the right proportions (maybe 45 % spinach to 55 % ricotta). (Rest of spinach saved in fridge for next time!)

Stuffed this mixture into the cannelloni tubes (these don't need to be pre-cooked) until all the mixture used up. Piled these into an oven dish.

Made the coleman's cheese sauce mix (making it slightly runnier than the instructions - a bit more milk) and poured it over the cannelloni tubes (it needs to be runnier so it will soak into the pasta).

Grated the Norwegian Jarlsberg cheese over the top.

Cooked in oven at 190 degrees for 45 minutes.

And it was delicious. :joyf: