• Hello everyone, we will rebooting the web server on Sunday February 17th 2019 at 1800 (6pm) GMT / 1300 (1pm) EST to apply some server updates.

We will also be applying some updates to the forums software.

This will result in approximately 30 minutes of downtime

The Unwhinge Thread

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Recipe? Wot's that then? ;)

(I'm supposed to be reading an important thread on the website post but I'll do this reply first). :)

Ingredients
1 tub of ricotta cheese
Bag of frozen spinach
Box of cannelloni tubes
2 x Coleman's cheddar cheese sauce mixes
1 x Norwegian Jarlsberg cheese wedge

We cooked some spinach from the bag in a pan, didn't know how much to use but when it was cooked we mixed it with the tub of ricotta cheese until it looked sort of the right proportions (maybe 45 % spinach to 55 % ricotta). (Rest of spinach saved in fridge for next time!)

Stuffed this mixture into the cannelloni tubes (these don't need to be pre-cooked) until all the mixture used up. Piled these into an oven dish.

Made the coleman's cheese sauce mix (making it slightly runnier than the instructions - a bit more milk) and poured it over the cannelloni tubes (it needs to be runnier so it will soak into the pasta).

Grated the Norwegian Jarlsberg cheese over the top.

Cooked in oven at 190 degrees for 45 minutes.

And it was delicious. :joyf:
Ta .. I'll give it a go X

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
Was it a 2 for 1 sale? What do they eat?
No idea if it was a 2 for one sale but I'm not complaining! The snails eat lettuce, apples, cucumbers, stuff like that and they need cuttlefish or a calcium supplement for their shells :)

You just reminded me of a batshit French scifi film from the 60s called Les Escargot. A farmer accidentally creates giant snails that go on to terrorise a city hahaha

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
I love TV so....

Doctor Who...episodes all over the place including the sparkling Jodie.

All episodes of Luther are on the BBC iPlayer.

All episodes of Inside No. 9 are on the BBC iPlayer (stay tuned for Dead Line, October 28)

The Office (the proper one) is on Netflix. The Office (US) is on Amazon Prime (and much more enjoyable than I expected).

Sherlock, Will & Grace, Hannibal, Friday Night Dinner, Episodes (one of these things is not like the others...)

Sometimes the streaming services are almost too much! But I sure as heck am not going to complain!!

escargot

Beloved of Ra
No idea if it was a 2 for one sale but I'm not complaining! The snails eat lettuce, apples, cucumbers, stuff like that and they need cuttlefish or a calcium supplement for their shells :)

When I kept regular snails they'd chew on a stick of chalk for their calcium.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
They sound like interesting pets.
I've never seen any for sale out here though and they might be prohibited for fear of them becoming feral. I wonder how many babies they produce a year?

escargot

Beloved of Ra
They sound like interesting pets.
I've never seen any for sale out here though and they might be prohibited for fear of them becoming feral. I wonder how many babies they produce a year?
They breed like rabbits. You have to keep finding their eggs and disposing of them or you end up with scores of big slimy relatives just turning up and eating ALL THE BLOODY HOSTAS.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I spilt an entire large mug of tea over my computer keyboard & mouse yesterday. Bugger, I thought. After mopping, I put it on it's side to drain which it had appeared to fully do by late last night. Plugged it in - not working at all. Oh well, I thought, have to get another.

Just tried it today & here it is back in action. Wahey!

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites
I spilt an entire large mug of tea over my computer keyboard & mouse yesterday. Bugger, I thought. After mopping, I put it on it's side to drain which it had appeared to fully do by late last night. Plugged it in - not working at all. Oh well, I thought, have to get another.

Yesterday I got:
Keyboard failure ... Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter set up, F5 to start ranting that you can't press F1 because of a f***ing keyboard failure.
As good as BT's phone message "why don't you visit our Website.." to report your Broadband being down

hunck

Justified & Ancient

I think I spoke too soon. It's very intermittent - it was dead when I tried it earlier today on but has currently resuscitated miraculously. Time to get a replacement after all. It's turned into a whinge.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Had a lucky break.

I've had an old friend staying with me for the week and we had to take her back to the airport. She said she didn't mind cutting it a bit finer and ignoring the 'three hours before' rule so we could eat together and I could join her and Mrs Yith on the drive to the airport.

After thirty minutes of driving I asked her which gate she was departing from and she said 255. That immediately made me pause--there isn't a 255 at Incheon Airport--so I asked her to check again.

255 she repeated--Terminal 2.

This was very sobering because as far as I knew Incheon only has one terminal.

At this point my wife pipes up to say a new terminal opened earlier in the year, but she'd never been there and very few airlines were yet using it. We were all in a bit of a panic, jabbing at our phones for a couple of minutes to find the way, but fortune was smiling: not only were we able to take the very next turn to get there, but when we arrived it was almost completely deserted. We were there for fifteen minutes saying farewell and I saw a total of two buses and about half a dozen cars. I seriously think we could have arrived 30 mins before and still got her through check-in and security in time--there were more staff than passengers!

The airport looked pretty amazing, pristine and very futuristic.

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
I'm quite stressed at the moment, struggling to know how to cope with elderly and infirm parents in their 80s (if you reach my age, 55, and your parents are still going, it's great - but it's not always easy) and I'm finding it easier to work in the office rather than at home. My office is a 16-mile bike ride away, and yesterday the ride home in the dark made it all worthwhile, one of those occasions when everything clicks into place.

Most of the ride is along the Bristol-Bath cyclepath, illuminated for the first few miles and then unlit (though I have two 'serious' front lights and about 1100 lumens available so I can still go at a decent pace; I usually use about 400-500 lumens at any one point).

A couple of miles out of Bristol I stopped and watched a fox cleaning itself from about 10 yards away totally unconcerned by my presence, a few miles further on I spent a couple of minutes watching a fox forage in the undergrowth from about three yards, unconcerned unless I tried to get closer. I was close enough to see the white fur around its cheeks; lovely; relaxing; life-affirming.

Later on another one dodged out of the way 'barking' like the Midsomer Murders fox. And then I stopped to watch a professional fireworks display. Closer to home I bumped into a couple of friends and chatted. And there's a slight Fortean angle to this, in that one of them took over from me in one of my previous jobs, while the other is applying for another one of my other, later, previous positions...

This morning I noticed one of next doors chickens had escaped and was nesting in the agapanthus' in my front yard. A few hours later, the chicken had returned home and there were two eggs left behind, which I now have in my fridge.
A friend's family had a pet goat which sometimes escaped from its enclosure and it used to sit outside the front door with the dog and cat.