The Unwhinge Thread

Schrodinger's Zebra

Lost a few tiles on re-entry..
This time last week I was still in hospital, wondering when I'd be allowed home, and Mr Zebra had done his daily 1-hour drive up to see me, and would face another 1-hour drive back home after visiting time.

Now I'm back home, safe and sound with Mr Zebra and our dogs. There's a fire on in the hearth and we are together.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
This time last week I was still in hospital, wondering when I'd be allowed home, and Mr Zebra had done his daily 1-hour drive up to see me, and would face another 1-hour drive back home after visiting time.

Now I'm back home, safe and sound with Mr Zebra and our dogs. There's a fire on in the hearth and we are together.
That’s much to enjoy.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Woohoo, Techy's birthday present is sorted!

It's a surprise. I've been taunting him with it.

Edit: I dropped a few hints and he now thinks he's taking part in a Zombie Apocalypse event dressed in a kilt.

Last edited:

Krepostnoi

Crabbier than usual, Buster
We're currently experiencing torrential rains and strong winds here in Ho Chi Minh City, courtesy of Typhoon Usagi. My colleagues were delighted to be greeted as they arrived at work with the news that their afternoon shifts had been cancelled due to the bad weather. Apparently, it hadn't proven possible to ring, text, or email them prior to departure... Anyway, I got piss-wet through riding my twist-and-go scooter back from the morning shift, but my mood lightened enormously when, nearing home, I saw a couple riding towards me. He was scowling and peering gimlet-eyed through the downpour, but she was poised elegantly on the back, sheltered from the storm under the protection afforded by a bright green umbrella that must have been all of 18 inches across.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
We're currently experiencing torrential rains and strong winds here in Ho Chi Minh City, courtesy of Typhoon Usagi. My colleagues were delighted to be greeted as they arrived at work with the news that their afternoon shifts had been cancelled due to the bad weather. Apparently, it hadn't proven possible to ring, text, or email them prior to departure... Anyway, I got piss-wet through riding my twist-and-go scooter back from the morning shift, but my mood lightened enormously when, nearing home, I saw a couple riding towards me. He was scowling and peering gimlet-eyed through the downpour, but she was poised elegantly on the back, sheltered from the storm under the protection afforded by a bright green umbrella that must have been all of 18 inches across.
I presume that's 'rabbit'.

Seems a mite inoccuous as a name for a life-threatening meteorological event.

Tell me it isn't a little bit exciting, even for the soaking and inconvenience. ;)

Krepostnoi

Crabbier than usual, Buster
Tell me it isn't a little bit exciting, even for the soaking and inconvenience. ;)
Oh, it very much is, now that I am safely ensconced back home, fortified by hot soup and strong tea. My children are gleefully sporting jumpers! It does seem seasonably wintry, all things considered, and the little boy within me who never quite grew up is unreasonably excited to watch palm trees bending in the wind and rain. Bradford has seldom seemed so far away, and if that's not an unwhinge, then I don't know what is.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
First typhoon I experienced here we had guests around for dinner. On finding that I was not at home when they arrived, they expressed concern that I was out as the winds were picking up fast and cars were all being moved off the streets.

Wife explained with embarrassment that I wasn't 'out', I was up on the roof with a camera, watching the storm coming in on the horizon.

Mrs Yith said the standard reaction was received: look of bewilderment, inquiries as to whether it was really wise to allow me to be doing such a thing (it was thirty-five storeys up), then recollection that I was a foreigner and hence there was probably some kind weird explanation that they wouldn't really understand and would be slightly embarrassed to enquire about.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
My colleagues were delighted to be greeted as they arrived at work with the news that their afternoon shifts had been cancelled due to the bad weather. Apparently, it hadn't proven possible to ring, text, or email them prior to departure...
Is there a policy about this? For example in Hong Kong, we know work will be cancelled if it's typhoon signal 8.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Is there a policy about this? For example in Hong Kong, we know work will be cancelled if it's typhoon signal 8.
In my neck o' the woods it tends to be that you can stay at home if you have either been killed or your home completely destroyed.
Otherwise you dutifully make your way to the office to be told that you needn't have come and can now return home.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
In my neck o' the woods it tends to be that you can stay at home if you have either been killed or your home completely destroyed.
Otherwise you dutifully make your way to the office to be told that you needn't have come and can now return home.
I had a real pain the ass in the day following the big typhoon earlier this year: the rail line in my area was damaged and the buses were not running due to trees on the road, and it was essentially impossible for me to get to work. By the time I finally got there, it was time to leave.

As this is the unwhinge thread, I'll say: even though today has been a complete shitshow – I've been up all night trying to see dentists and have had to spend an ungodly amount of money, followed by a long and painful tooth extraction – I really do appreciate the better things. I got a lot of rest today after the morning and ate some good food, and my girlfriend has been incredibly supportive.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
First typhoon I experienced here we had guests around for dinner. On finding that I was not at home when they arrived, they expressed concern that I was out as the winds were picking up fast and cars were all being moved off the streets.

Wife explained with embarrassment that I wasn't 'out', I was up on the roof with a camera, watching the storm coming in on the horizon.

Mrs Yith said the standard reaction was received: look of bewilderment, inquiries as to whether it was really wise to allow me to be doing such a thing (it was thirty-five storeys up), then recollection that I was a foreigner and hence there was probably some kind weird explanation that they wouldn't really understand and would be slightly embarrassed to enquire about.
Mad dogs and Englishmen...