The Unwhinge Thread

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
I'm back from the push pull meet. I went 3/3 on bench press with a 65kg bench press which coach is going to test tomorrow at the gym because it moved really easy. And I went 2/3 on deadlift with a 147.5kg pb, I failed on 152.5kg because I had the bar a little uneven. Coach also put my name down for a trophy, best performance, he told them about my weightloss, about how I've not missed a single training session in 4 months and how then I struggled deadlifting 50kg and bench pressing an empty bar. So, I've got my first ever powerlifting trophy

Edit: Coach is now encouraging me to sign up for the UK national qualifiers in February. So I've gone from first ever friendly local to meet to UK nationals...

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Well, that was fun! Techy's birthday treat:

First Class rail travel to Manchester, posh curry, War of the Worlds at the Arena and a couple of cheeky drinks in bed in a nearby hotel.*

This morning after breakfast we had a wander round the Arndale and a couple of hours at the Manchester Art Gallery, followed by coffee and cake at the Vienna Coffee House.

Then First Class home and now on t'sofa, feet up, recovering.

*The oldest continually-run hotel in Manchester. Not reputedly haunted although the staff admit to a little strangeness now and then.
The floors slope steeply upstairs so getting up in the night can be alarming.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Sure it was the slope. Right.
At one point I got up to close the rattly window but couldn't stand upright and thought 'Wow, that Co-Op lager is good value!' before realising I was trying to stagger uphill.

At least having the slope leading towards the door meant we wouldn't outstay our welcome.

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
I managed to standing over head press 40kg. First time I've attempted it in a couple of months when the empty bar was a challenge. Also I found some of the Missing 411 books in a charity shop, so they're now mine!

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/endangered_species/great_apes/gorillas/threats/
Of course the world would be a better and fairer place if it were guided by Ghandi or Martin Luther King Jr. or anyone who is not consumed by the need for power. If the UN was operating within a different framework, if countries in Africa did not have corrupt governments. If laws were passed and actually enforced, that would make a difference. It is despicable that laws are not enforced, that the weakest and most vulnerable are ignored in favour of the rich and powerful, but that is the way it is, for now. I'm not saying that the rest of the world, regular citizens of Planet Earth should be complacent and simply accept it (support the WWF, petition, lobby, protest for the things you believe will help change the situation), I am saying that as it stands today, I have the same amount of pity for the poachers as I do for the foot soldiers of the Islamic State; I'm sorry that they are so desperate to take the actions they do, and I am angry that their government/leaders, and the forces beyond the local government, are not doing enough to change for the better the situations their fellow countrymen face, but I am not currently in the emotional mindset to forgive them.

Desperate situations result in desperate actions: the Siege of Paris resulted in immensely civilised people eating zoo animals and clearly the fault lay elsewhere than just with the Parisians, so I can see that I should have more sympathy for what people feel they have to do to survive. But if it somehow boiled down to me having to choose whether a poacher lived or a gorilla lived, I would choose the gorilla. If an IS soldier lived or a Kurdish citizen, I'd choose the Kurd. I'm not right, it's not fair but it is how I respond. I have tried to make it clear that I am in a constant state of learning, what I think to be true one day may be changed the next after I have learned further information. I also happen to think that the responsibility for the planet and all of its inhabitants lies with everyone; there is no us and them, ultimately. We all (or at least most of us) have some power to change things, with our votes, with our support, with our demands upon our governments. Even with our money. But as private, emotional individuals we can still choose to condemn someone who kills a gorilla, or tiger, or homosexual, or poet, and also choose to not give a toss about their personal circumstances; I think that is wrong and I do try to overcome those thoughts but it's not exactly easy, certainly not for me as I am someone who actively identifies as a misanthrope (although again, I am making the effort to overcome that aspect of my personality.) Perhaps the important thing is to recognise that in spite of our personal loathing of some other human, we shouldn't let that stop us from trying in some way to get things changed. I personally at this point in time value the life of the gorilla and the park ranger more than I do the poacher but I also am aware that there are other forces at play and that I should be more widely sympathetic in my judgements. There are nuances and gradations of existence and responsibility that should be considered, but when I am in the black days and I think a meteor heading in the direction of the planet is something to be welcomed, that's when I need to look at a photograph of a human comforting a gorilla, so that I can remember there are good people being good, and that there are more people and creatures that need help, not obliteration. And finally, that I can be a part of that process of change, however small and however much I wouldn't invite some of the people being helped around for dinner, my version or interpretation of Hall's condensed explanation of Voltaire's beliefs: I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.

And so on and so forth, ad nauseum, but I now need to smooch Archie and get his dinner ready.
Ghandi statue to be removed from university of Ghana, following complaints about his racist attitude towards Africans:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/14/racist-gandhi-statue-removed-from-university-of-ghana

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
I had someone message me on Instagram, thinking I was some Norwegian powerlifter they met at a meet, and blood hell, after a snoop I found my double, we even have the same grown out hard undercut haircut, literally the only difference is I have tattoos! It was rather amusing (for me) because this poor bloke at first thought I was this lifter trying to make excuses to not talk to him

James_H

And I like to roam the land
In my last few days at this job, and about to go on a holiday. Still feel like there are a million things to do and it's stressful, but exhilarating.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
In my last few days at this job, and about to go on a holiday. Still feel like there are a million things to do and it's stressful, but exhilarating.
Are you at liberty to say where?

I'm trying to book a late trip somewhere for the Lunar New Year, but a lot of flights are full. It's looking like Singapore or the Philippines are likely.

James_H

Are you at liberty to say where?

I'm trying to book a late trip somewhere for the Lunar New Year, but a lot of flights are full. It's looking like Singapore or the Philippines are likely.
I'm going to Yunnan, in Southwestern China.

On the Lunar New Year I'll be going to Thailand. The one thing I've heard is don't go to China at that time – everything shuts down, like Christmas day in the west. I heard a story about somebody dying in a lift because everybody who worked in the building went home for a few days – probably one for a UL thread.

I'd love to go to Singapore (for a short visit), or the Philippines (a huge place and I think very different all over). One day!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I'm going to Yunnan, in Southwestern China.

On the Lunar New Year I'll be going to Thailand. The one thing I've heard is don't go to China at that time – everything shuts down, like Christmas day in the west. I heard a story about somebody dying in a lift because everybody who worked in the building went home for a few days – probably one for a UL thread.

I'd love to go to Singapore (for a short visit), or the Philippines (a huge place and I think very different all over). One day!
Korean New Year is similar. There are lots ot things going on, but most of it is for families and not public (although now days not everything shuts like it used to).

We were considering Hong Kong, but all three of us have been there already and I'm always pushing for new locations over revisits. As you say, the Philippines, like Malaysia and Indonesia, is very ethnically and culturally cosmopolitan, although I suspect it'll be more of a resort-beach-cocktail visit to Boracay for us.

I've never been to Thailand, although I've danced all around it with visits to Vietnam, Cambodia and (technically) Laos. Singapore is of interest to me as my grandfather passed through there on his way into and out of Malaya in the 50s. I'm quietly lobbying for that, but some time around palm trees with Miss Yith would hardly be a disappointment.

Edit: just realised that I read an article about Yunnan--about the incredible forests and wildlife there--I think I mentioned on your earlier enquiry about the place.

James_H

We were considering Hong Kong, but all three of us have been there already and I'm always pushing for new locations over revisits.
If you do come here again, give me a shout! We're actually in Hong Kong for the actual Chinese New Year, in Thailand for a bit before it.

I've been to Thailand twice but it's a popular holiday destination here: my gf seems to go all the time if she has a spare weekend. I've only ever been to Bangkok. By the way, I got an interesting booklet there about pre-buddhist wizards who still live and work in the forests in the north. Perhaps I can start a thread about it when I get the time.

Singapore I'm very interested in from a cultural and linguistic point of view but as it's very small and urban it might remind me of the bits I don't like about Hong Kong.

James_H

Singapore is of interest to me as my grandfather passed through there on his way into and out of Malaya in the 50s
Mine too, actually, and I imagine they were from a similar corner of the UK (if I recall correctly)

James_H

Mine was with the Royal Artillery (25 Fd Regt).
Living in London at the time.
Unfortunately I don't have much way of finding out which regiment my grandfather served with at the moment but he was living in East Kent at the time.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Unfortunately I don't have much way of finding out which regiment my grandfather served with at the moment but he was living in East Kent at the time.
Interesting.

Royal West Kent were in Malaya in the early-mid 50s...

If you ever want to look into his service history, drop me a line.