The Unwhinge Thread

Ringo

Sanitised for your protection
Ringo:

Congratulations on getting the gig, and good luck ...
Thanks for the well wishes. The gig went much better than expected but we did have a technical problem which meant that the sound quality suffered. We managed to sort if out though so the second half of the evening was saved. My voice held out and I played for about a total of 2 hours instead of just 1.

I'm doing it all again next Friday at the same place. It was fun to do it but I'm not that interested in making it a regular thing.

markrkingston1

Ephemeral Spectre
Thanks for the well wishes. The gig went much better than expected but we did have a technical problem which meant that the sound quality suffered. We managed to sort if out though so the second half of the evening was saved. My voice held out and I played for about a total of 2 hours instead of just 1.

I'm doing it all again next Friday at the same place. It was fun to do it but I'm not that interested in making it a regular thing.
Excellent. Well done. :)

I often wish I could sing. I discovered that I just couldn't pitch my voice consistently when I was at school and the choir guy wanted me to be in the choir.

onetwothree

Abominable Snowman
Same thing's happened to me recently, my best mate at school in the midlands. He's also nudged me into contacting other old friends and we've been catching up and looking at pictures of ourselves all older now and swapping photos .. it's strange because our 'gang' haven't seen each other for decades but their personality traits haven't changed :cool: .. I was chatting with the bloke who gave me my nickname in the mid 80s that some people still call me, he taught me breakdance moves back then and stuck up for me against bullies. He was hardcore in a way most people wouldn't understand unless I go into 'meaningless to everyone else' territory .. he was basically the character River Phoenix played in the film Stand By Me. 30 year absence for us onetwothree but it's a nice feeling isn't it. :)
Aww, Swifty! I'm so pleased for you!

Mine was just someone who I thought had gone for good, but he hasn't and we've just slipped right back into how we were. It's honestly one of the best things to ever, ever happen to me. Seems he thought I would have forgotten him; but he has been my best friend/soulmate/whatever in a way that no other friend ever has.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
For most people this would be a whinge, a virus has just taken my PC back to factory settings and wiped everything off. The good news is that I don't use it for anything serious at all so all I've lost is a load of puerile pics, I don't keep any music or games on it, the only thing that could have caused a problem is that my CV has also gone but that's backed up on the Mrs PC anyway so she can just send it back to me :cool:. My PC was becoming cluttered with programmes competing with each other anyway, it would have taken me ages to reorganise it all manually so this has done me a huge favour and I've been able to install a shit hot anti malware programme now .. I feel like I'm driving a new car.

Now to choose a new wallpaper.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
For most people this would be a whinge, a virus has just taken my PC back to factory settings and wiped everything off. The good news is that I don't use it for anything serious at all so all I've lost is a load of puerile pics, I don't keep any music or games on it, the only thing that could have caused a problem is that my CV has also gone but that's backed up on the Mrs PC anyway so she can just send it back to me :cool:. My PC was becoming cluttered with programmes competing with each other anyway, it would have taken me ages to reorganise it all manually so this has done me a huge favour and I've been able to install a shit hot anti malware programme now .. I feel like I'm driving a new car.

Now to choose a new wallpaper.
I've just nabbed the "SWReporter" program in the act and disabled it. PC now much faster...

Swifty

My Nephew's just become a Dad :thrash:.. the little nipper hasn't even got a name yet. If he becomes anything like his Dad and my Uncle, the world's just become a slightly better place.

ahurst.jpg

Here's Dad/my nephew (in the black shirt) jamming with his band in less stressful times, I've just sent him a message saying our Nan, Mary, would have been proud. Fucking hipsters ..

Last edited:

Swifty

aw Swifty!!!!!

So what is the relationship between you? grand uncle? great uncle? once removed?
The Father's my Mum's brother's son so you tell me?.. either way, I'm a bit happy about it, I haven't even seen the bloke since he was about 8 years old.

edit: the Mrs says he's my cousin (the Dad that is) .. my Mum thinks they're going to call the lad Alfie.

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Punning aside, Alfs are a bit thin on the ground lately.

Having seen a lot of mid-twentieth century nominal rolls, I have to say that no man's name has lost popularity so precipitously as Cyril. It was massively popular as both a christian and a middle name with those born in the 20s and 30s, but I can't recall ever meeting one of my generation or younger.

Having seen a lot of mid-twentieth century nominal rolls, I have to say that no man's name has lost popularity so precipitously as Cyril. It was massively popular as both a christian and a middle name with those born in the 20s and 30s, but I can't recall ever meeting one of my generation or younger.
Ever come across the name Thebert? How about Gladstone?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Ever come across the name Thebert? How about Gladstone?
I don't think I even knew 'Thebert' was a name.

Gladstone--not uncommon as a middle name.

There was a trend in the West Indies and other colonies of naming boys after great historical figures and family tradition means such names still crop up in immigrant communities here, but you probably knew that.

I don't think I even knew 'Thebert' was a name.

Gladstone--not uncommon as a middle name.

There was a trend in the West Indies and other colonies of naming boys after great historical figures and family tradition means such names still crop up in immigrant communities here, but you probably knew that.
My grandfather was a Cyril (b.1922) and his father and brother were both called Thebert, or Bert for short.
The 'Th' is like in 'fifth', follwed by 'ee'.
An aunt married a Gladstone and I have his First World War medals somewhere. Known as 'Gladdy'.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The Father's my Mum's brother's son so you tell me?.. either way, I'm a bit happy about it, I haven't even seen the bloke since he was about 8 years old.

edit: the Mrs says he's my cousin (the Dad that is) .. my Mum thinks they're going to call the lad Alfie.
My Grandad was an Alf too. Congrats all.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
One of my friends rang this morning. I thought :" hang on, I didn't give her the temporary number the provider gave me after I got nbn over 2 months ago."
I've been emailing and ringing ever since to get my own number back and they promised faithfully to send me a text when it happens but no texts.
Anyway seems to be working so I'm happy.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Double:

A) A girl I knew at university contacted me out of the blue. She has all of my essays and personal lecure notes in a box and wants to send them to me. She was a fresher when I was a third year and I decided to help her out, but I forgot all about it.

B) My brother-in-law gave me a new pair of Asics trainers because my old ones looked so grotty.

Last edited:

Swifty

I've been flirted with by a very handsome Englishman. However, since this was pretty much the only item on my bucket list, I'm now afraid I will soon die.
Why?.. has the cad attempted to poison you for your family's estate?. That would be a very English thing of him to do. The bounder.

Last edited:

Swifty

Coal is a sterling fellow Englishman of my acquaintance Ulalume, a true gentleman, I assure you no chaperone will be necessary and if you were to even accidently pass wind during a dinner engagement, he will pretend it was him who did it instead.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Coal is a sterling fellow Englishman of my acquaintance Ulalume, a true gentleman, I assure you no chaperone will be necessary and if you were to even accidently pass wind during a dinner engagement, he will pretend it was him who did it instead.
*hands Swifty bunch of five pound notes*