The Unwhinge Thread

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I've been trying to remember the title of a Hitchcock fillum. Perhaps you know the answer:

There's a plot where a couple murder a man together. They don't find it easy and at one point, one is holding him round the neck from behind while the other belabours his legs with a shovel. It takes a while for them to subdue him. The point was to show how hard and messy murder can be. Does that ring any bells?
Torn Curtain, I think.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
For months since skyrail has been put in on our line the pedestrian traffic lights haven't been working.
This means that there have been 2 temporary pedestrian crossings with people running suddenly over them as cars have to stop for them.
But today oh joy the traffic lights are working again. Hooray!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I received a letter from HMRC yesterday telling me I paid too much tax last year so a sizeable cheque is on its way to me. A possible new job is also on the horizon and I've sourced some laser thermometers for our next ghost invest. :domo:

Ulalume

tart of darkness
This could be a legitimate whinge, because some thieves rammed a van through my husband's store and tried to steal the ATM at 5:00 this morning. They failed but it was a huge mess. Knocked out the front part of the building.

it's an unwhinge though, because when looking at the security video, they saw we had barely missed crossing paths with the thieves by just moments. Also, I was a few minutes late driving husband to work, so normally he would have been inside at that time. His assistant was a few minutes late, too.

This could have had a very different outcome so all in all, an unwhinge.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
This could be a legitimate whinge, because some thieves rammed a van through my husband's store and tried to steal the ATM at 5:00 this morning. They failed but it was a huge mess. Knocked out the front part of the building.

it's an unwhinge though, because when looking at the security video, they saw we had barely missed crossing paths with the thieves by just moments. Also, I was a few minutes late driving husband to work, so normally he would have been inside at that time. His assistant was a few minutes late, too.

I'm glad you can see the good side here! Everyone is safe, that's the most important thing.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Bought a snazzy little trolley case for work from the car boot sale. Sadly it was stolen by a customer yesterday.

However, after being comprehensively ransacked it was dumped and other on-the-ball staff spotted and retrieved it. There's nothing of value in it, just work stuff, so everything was recovered.

So there were two luggage-related unwhinges - a nice case for £6, which was stolen but soon reacquired.

It has a combination lock which the original owner must have changed as it wouldn't open with the default number that we found online for it.
Techy had a play with it but got nowhere. Today I spent a few minutes twiddling it and it opened! Totally random. Couldn't believe it. There's my third unwhinge.

After that I was offering people a shake of my lucky hand and considering buying a lottery ticket.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk

Not joking here, this was really lucky! Years ago I knew a man whose rather flashy car was totalled in a speeding incident. Y'know, he went too fast and rucked it. It ended up like a pancake. He walked away with a few bruises, and I said 'Wow, you were lucky!'
He said 'Are you MAD? Do you know how much that car was worth?'
I said 'Don't you feel lucky to have walked away from that?' but he just didn't get it.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Bought a snazzy little trolley case for work from the car boot sale. Sadly it was stolen by a customer yesterday.

However, after being comprehensively ransacked it was dumped and other on-the-ball staff spotted and retrieved it. There's nothing of value in it, just work stuff, so everything was recovered.

So there were two luggage-related unwhinges - a nice case for £6, which was stolen but soon reacquired.

It has a combination lock which the original owner must have changed as it wouldn't open with the default number that we found online for it.
Techy had a play with it but got nowhere. Today I spent a few minutes twiddling it and it opened! Totally random. Couldn't believe it. There's my third unwhinge.

After that I was offering people a shake of my lucky hand and considering buying a lottery ticket.
You were only. Supposed. To. Blow. The bloody door off.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
My wife and I--mainly my wife--has gone through a month of admin-hell, basically restructuring my entire work schedule to reduce the amount of time I waste and free-up weekly sessions for testing, marking and prep. The result, after much gnashing of teeth and passive non-cooperation from others, is that I am going to be doing slightly fewer hours per week for the same income.

Lots of consolidation and reorganisation, but it's coming up roses.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
My 0.1-1Hz noise canceller works so well, I can't tell exactly how well it's worked (at least -40dB on sub uV noise).
In what situation do you use this device & what does it look like? What is sub uV noise come to that..