The Unwhinge Thread

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
I was coming down a main high street, going home when i let a car out, I noticed it had a New York plate, it was a beaut, a Shelby, stunning in black, I loved the rattlesnake badge

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Longish story, but here's the capsule version:

Friend of my wife's (not saying I dislike her, but I don't know her that well) recently moved home from one long-lease rental apartment to another. Having arranged everything months in advance (often not the case here), she'd already bought several new items of furniture and appliances for the new and slightly larger place. Part of the contract she signed was that the rather tired interior would be renovated during the few days between the old tenants moving out and her family moving in: so far so good.

Day one, they finally get the keys in the afternoon and start delivering boxes. Renovation had only been completed the night before and although the place looks good it reeks of glues, paints and adhesives. They decide that staying there is not an option and, leaving their crates unpacked, decamp to the friend's mother's place for the night. By the next evening the smell has partly abated and they decide to chance it. This is an error. The following morning, mother and two daughters wake up with significant rashes and bloodshot eyes and flee the place. Three days later mother cautiously returns, promptly displays same symptoms within and hour or two. At this point they realise something is seriously amiss and contact new landlord, estate agents and environmental officers of some (I'm not sure what) authority. They don't know what on earth has been used, but the air is declared not to be healthy and the experts advise against occupation.

Disaster. Lawyers consulted; investigation commences; family spends time staying in the spare rooms of family and friends (including ours).

After a fortnight, wife's friend and family find another apartment, sign a contract in hours and move in.

Unwhinge?

New apartment has a built-in dishwasher. Their brand-new one, now surplus to requirements, is given as a gift to one of the families that kindly helped out by putting them up: us!

We've never had a dishwasher--there's only three of us--but it's rather swish and shiny and sits on the worktop in the kitchen like a cybernetic bread bin.

And it's alway nice to get something for nothing.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Nearly three months in, and I love my new job. I keep quiet about it because most of my colleagues bitch like hell about the place. I've got the satisfaction of knowing that compared to my last workplace it's just great.
That's so good to hear!

Can relate; my current job is my favourite ever.

It's relatively menial, poorly paid, with managers who expect far too much from the workers they've systematically demoralised with their bullshit.

The job itself though is great fun. Every day is different and I get to banter with witty colleagues and strangers. Can sometimes come home still laughing at the latest outrage.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
...mother and two daughters wake up with significant rashes and bloodshot eyes and flee the place.

Their brand-new dishwasher, now surplus to requirements, is given as a gift to us!
Lit. trans: Three people suffer chemical poisoning; their children will look like lizards, but we got a freebie! Result!

:rolleyes:

maximus otter

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
A triple-unwhinge on the technology front.

Having splashed-out on a new drive-belt for my old turntable last year, I ignored it for several months. Bad idea. Trying it out again, yesterday, in connection with a new piece of kit, I got a horrible case of pitch-instability. I immediately suspected the new drive-belt was at fault and temporarily replaced it with its slack, old predecessor, which I had retained. Things were improving!

Some slight discolouration could be ascribed to the visual evidence of slight horizontal and vertical movement of the vinyl. These visual cues were once a daily cause of distress. At least, it appeared there was no major malfunction of the electronics on the Technics deck. I elected to try again with the new belt to eliminate it from suspicion, though I had left it too long to return it to the shop. Now it seemed to have settled. I came to the conclusion that the bearings had been protesting over their long inactivity.

The new kit is another cause for unwhinging. While I had mastered the art of digitizing analogue records on my old machine, it seemed a heap of bother and expense to upgrade the software and fathom how to do it on my Mac Mini. Besides, it was far easier to download versions that others had made of most of my antiques. A few years ago, I had picked up a second-hand gizmo that did not seem to function on Macs at all. So I was a bit leery about spending a whole fiver on another thing of the same kind. It is the ADS Instant Music unit and the box said it works on Mac. As it was still in its unbroken bubble-pack, I decided to go for it.

Needless to say, beyond the logo on the side of the box, there was no guidance to say how it works with Macs - certainly not via the supplied Nero software, which is Windows only. Online advice was that it should be seen by the Mac. and recordings could be made via Garage Band.

I expected a long faff about but I was making experimental Analogue-to-Digital recordings in less than half-an-hour, most of it spent coming to terms with Garage Band, which I had not touched for years.

Made bold by this, I set off in search of Audacity, the Open-Source audio-editor for Mac. I used to use it on my eMac but, last time I looked, could not find a suitable version for the Mac Mini. Turns out the latest version downloaded easily and seems to work fine. It's not the most lovely thing to behold but there are powerful features, essential to transfer 78 rpm discs, the aim of the whole enterprise.

A nice outcome, for the outlay of just £5. :)

Last edited:

escargot

Beloved of Ra
The house next to ours has been vacant for a couple of years. It's been gutted and done up and we worried it was going to be a Home of Multiple Occupation, where an unscrupulous landlord crams as many tenants in as possible.

Instead we have a charming young couple, both working, who are hoping to start a family ASAP after moving in. All seems well.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
The house next to ours has been vacant for a couple of years. It's been gutted and done up and we worried it was going to be a Home of Multiple Occupation, where an unscrupulous landlord crams as many tenants in as possible.

Instead we have a charming young couple, both working, who are hoping to start a family ASAP after moving in. All seems well.
Dodged a bullet and landed on a beanbag..

I must be getting old, because young couples who are just starting a family are second only to aged widowers who bring round cake.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman

Because "unscrupulous" and "landlord" always go together, providing accommodation for people is eeeevil, and two residents making more residents doesn't turn a house into a Home of Multiple Occupation.

:rolleyes:

maximus "Lovely landlord" otter