The Unwhinge Thread

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Because "unscrupulous" and "landlord" always go together, providing accommodation for people is eeeevil, and two residents making more residents doesn't turn a house into a Home of Multiple Occupation.

:rolleyes:

maximus "Lovely landlord" otter
I have no doubt you're a decent landlord, but where I used to live I saw landlords buy old-fashioned family homes and convert them into rental properties with more 'bedrooms' that would sensibly be accommodated by the property: living room is now a bedroom, dining room is now a bedroom, cellar is now a bedroom, tiny attic is converted into a bedroom. The result: no sensible parking, extreme levels of rubbish to be disposed of, more noise than you'd want as a neighbour and (worst) multiple short-term tenancies and new residents moving in and out every month or two.

In fact, 'where I used to live' was a whole lot better than a place I used to visit regularly: Leeds. Lots of that kind of thing, exploiting students and immigrants who often can't afford much better.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I have no doubt you're a decent landlord, but where I used to live I saw landlords buy old-fashioned family homes and convert them into rental properties with more 'bedrooms' that would sensibly be accommodated by the property: living room is now a bedroom, dining room is now a bedroom, cellar is now a bedroom, tiny attic is converted into a bedroom. The result: no sensible parking, extreme levels of rubbish to be disposed of, more noise than you'd want as a neighbour and (worst) multiple short-term tenancies and new residents moving in and out every month or two.

In fact, 'where I used to live' was a whole lot better than a place I used to visit regularly: Leeds. Lots of that kind of thing, exploiting students and immigrants who often can't afford much better.
Surely providing housing affordable to all purses is a good thing?

The other attendant issues you mention - parking, rubbish, noise - are hardly of the landlord's making. Even the nicest of expensive modern private housing estates are scarcely lavish in their provision of space and amenities. I have a garage into which I can't fit my (small) car, a driveway which will just fit the car and a 40' x 40' garden. It's not Gertrude Jekyll's idyll: "No matter how small your garden, you must devote an acre or two to trees."

:rolleyes:

maximus otter

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient

brownmane

Ephemeral Spectre
A mostly non-verbal friend sent me this dancing yellow thing to communicate how she feels about being able to keep her flat and independence. Who needs words?
It's great that she has a friend like you who understands her language. Hope she has more friends like you.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Took my first run in literally two years yesterday on a very nice treadmill we've hired. Just a 20 minute run at a decent pace though. I finally think I might be over my knee problems.

It was a bastard to get in the house though.
Yep, they weigh a ton.

Took my first run in literally two years yesterday on a very nice treadmill we've hired. Just a 20 minute run at a decent pace though. I finally think I might be over my knee problems.

It was a bastard to get in the house though.
Yeah, I use mine to walk when it's raining, necessary these days.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Our new next door neighbours are a bit noisy, just how I like neighbours to be. So you know they're there.

My father always used to be banging and hammering around with his woodwork hobbies when we were kids. Our elderly neighbours either side of our old terraced house didn't mind as it was 'nice to know there's a man next door.'

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
All hail Daylight Savings Time, which has allowed my wake-up time and the James Valentine in the Afternoon radio show to once again be in alignment.

Should be good for the next 6 months, clocks willing.
And so say I! I love the light evenings, I think I could very easily live in Scandinavia every summer. DST is a gardener's dream :)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Walking through town today with the Mrs, I got a tap on my shoulder, turned round and it was my old flatmate who's since moved to London :bpals:.. we haven't seen him for a few years ..

After me and the Mrs gave him a delighted hug ..

Me:"What are you doing back here?"
"I've come to see *****. It's her Birthday."
"Ah, OK ....... who's *****?"
"My daughter"
"But I thought you'd worked out she wasn't your daughter?"
"Turned out she was."

The Mrs left us to it so went for a cup of tea to catch up.

Me:"How's your brother?"
"Which one?"
"You never told me you had two brothers. Your little brother."
"He's one of those bloody millennials. And he says he's pansexual now. My mum's boyfriend said "Ergh? .. you f**k pants?" and the conversation carried on like that until he had to go and see his little girl.

We arranged to messenger later on facebook and then facebook crashed today but he managed to find my house anyway .. it was weird for us to be chatting without a beer in our hands years later.

A few years ago he married a woman from abroad for cash so she could get a Visa to live here ..

Me:"So what happened to that woman you married from abroad? .. did you manage to get a divorce?"
"No. We're still married." :(

He's had to drive back to London now, It was brilliant to see him again, I made him a beef salad sandwich for the journey.

We can always crack each other up :)

Last edited:

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
From another thread, I am minded to post my second favourite Spike Milligan poem. People know him for the wit and funning; this is poetry at its best imnsho

A young spring-tender girl
combed her joyous hair
'You are very ugly' said the mirror.
But,
on her lips hung
a smile of dove-secret loveliness,
for only that morning had not
the blind boy said,
'You are beautiful'?[/]

@Cochise

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
congratulations to them both! Courage builds a good relationship in my experience :)
My niece is quite a character - she was climbing before she could walk properly and would usually be found hanging from the top shelf of a bookcase chucking books onto the floor. When she was 8, she phoned me to say that she'd broken her arm. I asked what happened and she said she "slipped on ice." I heard her mum in the background say, "Tell him what you really did."
"Ah...I built a ski-jump...."
Now she's studying law - be afraid, be very afraid.