The Unwhinge Thread

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
We pushed ourselves to get our conservatory decorated recently, and finally got it finished t'other week. Since then we've been looking for... but having no luck finding... suitable furniture for it. We didn't want the modern sort of wicker furniture that you see in Argos etc.

What we really wanted, we both agreed, was one of them cottage-style settees, you know the old-fashioned ones with fabric back and seats, and wooden arms. Not a whole suite though, as there wouldn't be room.

Well, at the weekend we decided to take a trip out to the local antique / furniture place, on the off-chance. I decided to be positive (yeah, I know! me, positive?) and I said to Mr Zebra "there'll be something there".

Well, what do you know, we got there, had a look round, and found... a cottage-style two-seater settee and one matching armchair! Perfect size to go in our conservatory and the pattern colour would complement the new paint scheme perfectly.

Even better, we saved on delivery charge cos we managed to fit both of them in the back of Mr Zebra's car so we got them back the same day :)

We can now sit in our conservatory (for the first time since we moved into the house) and enjoy looking out at the garden.

ZebraPup is also thoroughly excited as she didn't really know the room existed.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Yesterday morning we had a lovely train trip into the city, with ZebraPup in tow.

We'd previously taken her on a train a couple of times when she was younger, to get her used to it, and that clearly paid off cos she was very well behaved just sitting next to us on the floor with her 'travel' toy for the entire journey.

We had a nice walk along the main shopping street and then through the park where we sat for a while to rest, and admired the scenery and took a few photographs. We got our return train back before things got too busy (we're not keen on crowds). To top it all off the trains weren't even delayed and the lifts in the railway station were all working.

I had to spend the rest of the day resting due to the pain it put me in, (which is still continuing today) but that's the price I pay for going out and enjoying myself, and I'm (slowly) getting used to that. Spending time with hubby doing things like this (and seeing the joy on Zebra Pup's face when she realises we're going out in the car) is well worth it.

titch

Justified & Ancient
After whingeing about ticket touts charging £140 for The HU , I signed up for the waiting list for tomorrow's concert (or GIG as we hard Mongolian rockers say) I am pleased to announce I got an email saying my tickets where reserved till 15.30 . THE HU, UNDERWORLD CAMDEN, HERE I COME!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
After whingeing about ticket touts charging £140 for The HU , I signed up for the waiting list for tomorrow's concert (or GIG as we hard Mongolian rockers say) I am pleased to announce I got an email saying my tickets where reserved till 15.30 . THE HU, UNDERWORLD CAMDEN, HERE I COME!
Have fun!

escargot

Beloved of Ra
many things are discovered quite by accident, are they not?
This is supposed to be how penicillin was discovered. Fleming found that petri dishes he'd left out to wash had been forgotten, and the mould that contaminated them had killed off the bacteria he had been growing.

(There's also a yarn about Fleming as a farm boy rescuing a young Winston Churchill from drowning. Churchill's grateful family sponsor Fleming's medical training, and he then discovers/invents penicillin with which Churchill's life is eventually saved. All tosh, and still not as awesome as Fleming's own grasp of the penicillium incident.)

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
It's Autistic Pride Day.

I have been given chocolates!!!!!!

I could like this :)
I did not know this...what is our flag? I'm not being a cow, just that my local county council has a vast number of flags for Pride (and considering my county council, that's almost beyond brilliant) and I wonderd if there were any for something other than sexual orientation/gender? Is it that multi couloured jigsaw thing?

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
This is supposed to be how penicillin was discovered. Fleming found that petri dishes he'd left out to wash had been forgotten, and the mould that contaminated them had killed off the bacteria he had been growing.

(There's also a yarn about Fleming as a farm boy rescuing a young Winston Churchill from drowning. Churchill's grateful family sponsor Fleming's medical training, and he then discovers/invents penicillin with which Churchill's life is eventually saved. All tosh, and still not as awesome as Fleming's own grasp of the penicillium incident.)
The latter tale is sadly untrue. When you look at the ages for example the participants would not be the age they are represented as in the story.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I did not know this...what is our flag? I'm not being a cow, just that my local county council has a vast number of flags for Pride (and considering my county council, that's almost beyond brilliant) and I wonderd if there were any for something other than sexual orientation/gender? Is it that multi couloured jigsaw thing?
It's an infinity symbol. I'd have used a smiley showing no emotions.
:jtease:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Most people I know use either Au in gold/yellow - because we are precious not dross. It's led to using Ausome as an in joke :)

Or a rainbow infinity symbol for unlimited and inclusive.

Blue and the puzzle piece are used a lot in the US because they are promoted by the ABA lobby. Which has led to an autistic shift away from them. Not a puzzle, not a wee kiddies condition, nothing missing...

People should go for whatever "speaks" to you! I'm a golden Au myself ;) Certainly the big groups of autistics use Au a lot!

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites
Last year my College decided to fill 'the gap' between the undergraduates finishing exams in June and the restart of Term in October, with 200 short-project MSc students (in addition to the 200+ post-grad researchers already there). My colleague in Stores was on sick-leave from July until Xmas, my boss also had medical problems and my Junior needed holiday to prevent burn-out. As Store Manager it was up to me to manage - four hour daily commute, all of my holiday entitlement lost, £700 in train fares for the privilege of working through my holidays, Stock Take on my own, Financial and Academic Year End etc. That is the whinge.
Unwhinge is that it looks like I'm getting a £1,000 honorarium payment for not actually stabbing anyone and for preventing a melt-down. Sure it will be taxed and the number of MSc students has increased 5% because we coped and I doubt I'll get any holiday this year either but - I'm thinking of ways I could spend a few hundred ON ME.

titch

Justified & Ancient
After unexpectedly getting a THE HU ticket, the gig turned out to be excellent, but just as good was the behaviour of two men to the side of me, I could sometimes see the lead singer if the people in front of me moved their heads, the two men where headbanging like maniacs, having such fun, even though neither of them touched 5 foot and hence could not have seen anything. Such determination to have fun left me with a warm glow.

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
I had a letter from the HMRC today telling me that I don't owe them the £1650 they said I did last month – this was for late submitting of a self-assessment when they had already accepted that I didn't need to send them one!

Up to the 2015-2016 tax year I was freelance/self-employed and had rental income from a flat, which was then sold and Capital Gains Tax paid. Since then I've been entirely PAYE. I was pretty sure I was right, but it's nice to get the letter! Phew! The drinks are on me today... except for the £4500 spent on the roof. Bah!

Plus my father and brother are now talking after nine months of silence; okay, it was me who found and booked the counsellor (me, the responsible adult, makes a change?!) who has got them talking. That's another glass of chardonnay for me tonight!