The Unwhinge Thread

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Very informative, thank you for that. Very strange about the coincidences/likenesses! (Or perhaps not-so-strange, but you know what I mean).
I mentioned that to my Australian relative and she said there is an Aboriginal belief that ancestors in the spirit world choose someone to tell their story and try to help them.

Another coincidence - a few years back, I found an ancestor who lived in a place in northeast Scotland called Stracathro who married someone from a nearby town called Edzell and emigrated to America in the 1800s and lived just outside Raleigh, North Carolina. In the 60s my cousin was a nurse at Stracathro Hospital, she met an American serviceman who was based at RAF Edzell, they were married and ended up living just outside Raleigh, North Carolina.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
I mentioned that to my Australian relative and she said there is an Aboriginal belief that ancestors in the spirit world choose someone to tell their story and try to help them.

Another coincidence - a few years back, I found an ancestor who lived in a place in northeast Scotland called Stracathro who married someone from a nearby town called Edzell and emigrated to America in the 1800s and lived just outside Raleigh, North Carolina. In the 60s my cousin was a nurse at Stracathro Hospital, she met an American serviceman who was based at RAF Edzell, they were married and ended up living just outside Raleigh, North Carolina.
Wow, that's amazing. History repeating itself indeed.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Every so often I have to travel for work. I try to keep it to a minimum as it can be stressful and means I can fall behind with my 'regular' work. But I'e just landed at this hotel, albeit for just one night!
View attachment 18321
Wow, what a beautiful building! And lovely photo of the skyline/sunset behind. Did you take the photo?

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Every so often I have to travel for work. I try to keep it to a minimum as it can be stressful and means I can fall behind with my 'regular' work. But I'e just landed at this hotel, albeit for just one night!
View attachment 18321
A lovely building indeed! Lucky you! Is it a former stately home?

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
I arrived at the office this morning to discover that an electricity failure in my section of the building had shut down the HVAC system as well as a number of overhead lights and some computers. By 11 am the problem remained unresolved. Management decided to let us go home because the poor air quality was making the office environment very unpleasant. I used the free afternoon to work out at my gym.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I've just been reading about 18th Indian Infantry Brigade's action at Deir el Shein, 1/7/42. It's of tangental interest to me as the majority of 2/5th Bn, The Essex Regiment, who had long served alongside my grandfather's battalion, were killed or went 'into the bag' when this position was overrun.

This last line from a contemporaneous corp-level intelligence report is the stuff to stir your blood and bring a lump to the throat:

Screenshot 2019-06-27 at 02.03.58.png

:salute:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Staying with military history, I found this when I was digging up my grandfather's past - he's the one underlined in blue. He never, ever spoke about his experiences but when he died we found his discharge papers and it said he'd won the Croix-de-Guerre in Ypres. We knew he had been gassed and injured by shrapnel but never realised he'd won any medals. We tried finding out what he did but it appears his records were destroyed in WW2 but I'll keep on digging.
My grandmother later told us he'd thrown it away when he came home and couldn't find work.
WBYrneCdG84283.jpg

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
I live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world: Oxford. I tend to forget how extraordinary it is but I was on the bus the other day and some tourists from Australia were on it as well. They were just chit chatting as the bus trundled around various housing estates on its way into town. Then the bus drove past Magdalen college...the collective gasp made me want to cry. Instead I turned round to speak to them as previously I had heard them talk about the railway station (not lovely!) and asked "do you want to see Oxford or do you need a train?" They wanted to see Oxford, so I ushered them off the bus and told them to go back up the High Street till they got to Quod (a bar), then to cross the road and wallk down the alley way in front of them. "I promise you will love it."
"it" is this:
1561749969741.png
I love my home city. It's infuriating, crowded, wildly expensive, and unbearably beautiful. I couldn't live anywhere else.

I live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world: Oxford. I tend to forget how extraordinary it is but I was on the bus the other day and some tourists from Australia were on it as well. They were just chit chatting as the bus trundled around various housing estates on its way into town. Then the bus drove past Magdalen college...the collective gasp made me want to cry. Instead I turned round to speak to them as previously I had heard them talk about the railway station (not lovely!) and asked "do you want to see Oxford or do you need a train?" They wanted to see Oxford, so I ushered them off the bus and told them to go back up the High Street till they got to Quod (a bar), then to cross the road and wallk down the alley way in front of them. "I promise you will love it."
"it" is this:
View attachment 18459
I love my home city. It's infuriating, crowded, wildly expensive, and unbearably beautiful. I couldn't live anywhere else.
If Morse/Endeavour is anything to go by though it's murder rate matches Detroit.

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
If Morse/Endeavour is anything to go by though it's murder rate matches Detroit.
There was once a perfect moment when Lewis and Endeavour were filming at the same time in different bits of the city. I so wanted them to collide in some kind of Colin Dexter wormhole.

I've probably said this before, but a blessed memory of mine is when Lewis was filming on Catte Street (just near the Radcliffe Camera) and so was an X-Men movie. The Lewis crew had a note in the window of their van: Lewis vs. X Men. They had a van against Marvel!!

At some point Oxford will catch up with Midsommer. The place is riddled with jealousy and very ingenious people....

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
At some point Oxford will catch up with Midsommer. The place is riddled with jealousy and very ingenious people....

Couple of years back when I had dinner at the High Table of Trinity College, Oxford with the then President Sir Ivor* I was highly entertained by the astrophysicist to my right. He reckoned Oxford had become FAR too dangerous for the rather frail and delicate Dons, who were now moving en masse on retirement to charming little villages in the rustic county of Midsommer.

*All true. Everywhere we went in Oxford people greeted him with 'Oh HELLO Escet! And is this is your charming mother?'

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I can't now refrain from now mentioning the time I was punting down the river with the Oxbridge 'sort' (new money, not old money clearly) when it suddenly occurred to me that that never happened and I'm just taking the piss.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
I can't now refrain from now mentioning the time I was punting down the river with the Oxbridge 'sort' (new money, not old money clearly) when it suddenly occurred to me that that never happened and I'm just taking the piss.
At least you weren't 'Punting up the Cam'.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
the Oxbridge 'sort' (new money, not old money clearly)
Pfft, Escet was an Oxbridge 'sort' of no money.

I worried about him being left out of things as a Northern working class lad but I was wrong. Oxford is wonderfully inclusive.

He had four brilliant years there, took the MPhys and then stayed on to work full-time for the Oxford Union for a while before his PhD at Brunel and SLAC. You know where he went after that.

The big open secret is that the formalities at Oxford are for the tourists. Everyone's in on it. Black Adder is all about it!

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient

I worried about him being left out of things as a Northern working class lad but I was wrong. Oxford is wonderfully inclusive.

He had four brilliant years there, took the MPhys and then stayed on to work full-time for the Oxford Union for a while before his PhD at Brunel and SLAC. You know where he went after that.

The big open secret is that the formalities at Oxford are for the tourists. Everyone's in on it. Black Adder is all about it!
It can't be repeated too often: Oxford is incredibly inclusive. It puts an enormous amount of work into outreach and access, putting across the point that cleverness matters, not wealth or family background. It's extremely competitive to get in but once you are in, everyone works very hard to keep you there. There are bits that are "Oxford", members of the Bullingdon Club are an image of "Oxford" but they are few. The people studying there, working there, have put in a vast amount of effort to be there and they are supported wonderfully by their colleges. Never the less, the Yes, Prime Minister episode "Doing the Honours" is rather spot on.

A story that always makes me emotional is when one of my college's graduates wrote to us that he was having difficulties getting a job (he had a first from Oxford!) and therefore didn't have the money to pay off his battels. Our bursar wrote back that so far as we were concerned he owed us nothing and that we only want for him to get the job that he deserves. Me and my colleagues cried when we read that email.

Scarggy, how wonderful for your little un to have attended Trinity, such a beautiful college. And right next to Blackwell's, very handy.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre

Just reading about 'The Cuttleslowe Walls' that were built in Oxford in the '30s. Now that's how you keep the riff-raff out! Maybe one should be built around Stoke?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
It can't be repeated too often: Oxford is incredibly inclusive. It puts an enormous amount of work into outreach and access, putting across the point that cleverness matters, not wealth or family background. It's extremely competitive to get in but once you are in, everyone works very hard to keep you there. There are bits that are "Oxford", members of the Bullingdon Club are an image of "Oxford" but they are few. The people studying there, working there, have put in a vast amount of effort to be there and they are supported wonderfully by their colleges. Never the less, the Yes, Prime Minister episode "Doing the Honours" is rather spot on.

A story that always makes me emotional is when one of my college's graduates wrote to us that he was having difficulties getting a job (he had a first from Oxford!) and therefore didn't have the money to pay off his battels. Our bursar wrote back that so far as we were concerned he owed us nothing and that we only want for him to get the job that he deserves. Me and my colleagues cried when we read that email.

Scarggy, how wonderful for your little un to have attended Trinity, such a beautiful college. And right next to Blackwell's, very handy.
Yup, he had a fantastic few years there and goes back often to meet up with friends.

The staff are all supportive and friendly. Escet and his Scout were great pals and she took good care of him. When he was leaving he remembered her mentioning her fondness for Royal Doulton figures. At the time Techy worked for RD so he got her a lovely Christmas Angel, a real collector's item. When Escet gave it to her she cried!

The Porters are brilliant too. They were very kind when we reversed a trailer into the big College gates. 'It's OK, they're only a bit dented!'
Oooer.

I'd certainly recommend Oxford to any parents looking for a university place for their intelligent hardworking offspring.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Anyway, here's my Unwhinge -

Today I was walking along a street, dressed nattily in my Crocs, running leggings and loose flowery dress, when a man walking a little faster drew alongside and said 'You're looking very summery today!'

He didn't stick around, he wasn't chatting me up, he just liked my outfit, bless him. I'm old enough to be his mother, whoever he is.

I said 'Well I was hoping the WEATHER would be summery too!' and did that little both hands to the sky gesture. We laughed and he went on his way.

What a sweetie. I bet he looks after his Mum.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
Anyway, here's my Unwhinge -

Today I was walking along a street, dressed nattily in my Crocs, running leggings and loose flowery dress, when a man walking a little faster drew alongside and said 'You're looking very summery today!'

He didn't stick around, he wasn't chatting me up, he just liked my outfit, bless him. I'm old enough to be his mother, whoever he is.

I said 'Well I was hoping the WEATHER would be summery too!' and did that little both hands to the sky gesture. We laughed and he went on his way.

What a sweetie. I bet he looks after his Mum.
In a 'Norman Bates' kind of way?

Ulalume

tart of darkness
I'd certainly recommend Oxford to any parents looking for a university place for their intelligent hardworking offspring.
Is Cambridge different then, inclusivity-wise, or do you know? I ask because there were a couple of experiences in my family that seemed to indicate they weren't so keen on it.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
I'm slightly envious. Could have got into Oxbridge, didn't even try because family reasons.

But I got to play in a rock band instead and go out with two stunning blondes at the same time, so I'm not _that_ envious.

I still get a thoroughly smug feeling when remembering turning up at places with one on each arm. Actually only one of them was 'going out' with me in the Biblical sense, but they went everywhere (well, nearly everywhere) together and dressed similarly so people made assumptions. That's my unwhinge for today - I think I'm wearing a silly grin right now.