The Unwhinge Thread

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Is Cambridge different then, inclusivity-wise, or do you know? I ask because there were a couple of experiences in my family that seemed to indicate they weren't so keen on it.
Dunno, didn't send any of my snailets there!

Oxford has particular features to help new students fit in and access support.
I| can give a couple of examples:

First year students have to live on-site, incidentally in the city's most photogenic buildings, so they're close to all the University facilities.
A couple of nights after Escet arrived I rang him to check up, and he was in a rush to get to the Trinity Beer Cellar for cocktails!
It was 100 yards from his front door.

By contrast, when Escet was in his first year at Oxford he had friends at Cambridge whose accommodation was some way out. It was harder for them to join in things.
(Around the same time I knew parents of teenagers who were also looking at universities and were hoping their kids chose Liverpool as the first year accommodation there was newly built and safe as Fort Knox!)

Oxford also has the 'Mum and Dad' scheme wherein a new student has two older student mentors, one the same sex as they are and one reading the same subject. Escet could ask them for guidance and I'm sure he did.

He also had university staff on hand keeping a discreet eye, such as his treasured Scout and the highly capable Porters. This is an advantage of having to live on-site. Off-site residents won't have that.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
... the highly capable Porters.
Durham, not Oxbridge, but I recall rolling into college one evening on the way to the bar and asking Old ****, a porter, whether a friend of mine had been in.

"I last saw him crawling across the carpet in the common room. I'm afraid he may have found those mushrooms again."

The tone was the perfect balance of matter-of-fact and knowing resignation.

Top chap. Used to give me a lift home at closing time in the second year when I lived out.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I wear a belt pouch containing a Swiss Army Knife. Attached to the knife by a lobster clip is a nice little Olight AAA LED torch with a screw-on head.

I took the bus to Bigtown at 1000hrs today. After two or three hours l noticed l the head of the torch was missing. Arseholes! And me so careful with my kit...

I’ve just boarded the bus for the return trip and there - five hours later - was the battery and the LED head!

God bless the X Bus Company’s crappy cleaning regime. Today is a good day.

maximus otter

Last edited:

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
I wear a belt pouch containing a Swiss Army Knife. Attached to the knife by a lobster clip is a nice little Olight AAA LED torch with a screw-on head.

I took the bus to Bigtown at 1000hrs today. After two or three hours l noticed l the head of the torch was missing. Arseholes! And me so careful with my kit...

I’be just boarded the bus for the return trip and there - five hours later - was the battery and the LED head!

God bless the X Bus Company’s crappy
cleaning regime. Today is a good day.

maximus otter
A mate of mine once went to a pub in Manchester and his friend put her coat under the bench and forgot about it when they left.
Three months later they went back in and reached under the seat for it and it was still there.
(God knows how you can forget your coat, but there you are).

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
The Customer Service/lottery/baccy counter at my Morrison's is in darkness on Saturday mornings - poor lass had to use a torch to check lotto numbers last winter. Small cheer at twenty past ten when the lights come back on. Not a whinge but find it odd. Then someone explained that Morrison's have a weekly "quieter hour" for autistic shoppers who struggle with music and noise. So on Saturdays the Stores dim lights, turn music off, avoid using the tannoy and turn check-out beeps down for an hour. Could easily make that two hours on a Saturday (and all of Xmas)

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
I've mentioned before how much I love the clip of the penguin falling over and how it never fails to brighten my day. The following clip has much the same effect but with a lot of laughter, to the point of tears:
The timing, the fact that it is Mark Ruffalo saying it (it seems so unexpected of him. It's closer to something that Jimmy Carr would say), the reactions from everyone else in the room, and Josh's look of pure gobsmacked disbelief. It's (for me) one of the finest moments from the Graham Norton Show.

I'm feeling very anxious and nervous today and this clip has brought the relief that I desperately needed, hence why it I have slung on here.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
I love Graham, it is an amazing talk show, he puts all the guests at ease and you can see they are all having a great time, thanks Rerenny X

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
I love Graham as well. I saw someone say that he was the GOAT of talk shows. I had to look that acronym up as I was thinking he's nothing like a goat! (it's Greatest of all TIme)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I've been watching Graham since his Channel 4 days! He was a lot ruder then (as in saucy material), but he's mellowed into a host who gets the best showbiz anecdotes around (and I love a showbiz anecdote). He never fails to get a laugh out of me, and for that I'm thankful.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
First saw Mr Norton on Channel 5 'Bring me the Head of Light Entertainment' and turned over. But he has calmed down and learnt a lot and is certainly worth his fee. As Agony Uncle for the D.Telegraph on Saturday he gave remarkably sensible and mature advice.
First saw Jonathan Ross on the Malcolm McLaren show (aka The Last Resort), felt a bit sorry for him.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
First saw Mr Norton on Channel 5 'Bring me the Head of Light Entertainment' and turned over. But he has calmed down and learnt a lot and is certainly worth his fee. As Agony Uncle for the D.Telegraph on Saturday he gave remarkably sensible and mature advice.
First saw Jonathan Ross on the Malcolm McLaren show (aka The Last Resort), felt a bit sorry for him.
Was the last resort produced by Malcom McLaren? ..

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
He was Woss's first guest and took over the show.
I used to love The Last Resort .. I still remember him interviewing the creators of VIZ .. and when he had The Red Hot Chilli Peppers and later Nirvana performing live ..

A few years later, Ross had a company called Planet 24, I had to sign a contract for one of the videos our band made to be played on his show The Word. We were a bit shit (on purpose) so we got put in a part of the show he called 'Burst Of The Worst'. I shouldn't be boasting about that part but it's true.

Nirvana performing on a different Jonathan Ross show .. they told him they were going to perform their song Lithium and then thought 'fuck it! .. we feel like performing territorial pissing instead' but didn't tell him LOLZ

Last edited:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Durham, not Oxbridge, but I recall rolling into college one evening on the way to the bar and asking Old ****, a porter, whether a friend of mine had been in.

"I last saw him crawling across the carpet in the common room. I'm afraid he may have found those mushrooms again."

The tone was the perfect balance of matter-of-fact and knowing resignation.

Top chap. Used to give me a lift home at closing time in the second year when I lived out.
Ah, Yithian, from Avon to Major Calloway - from one of my all-time favourite films. I've been to Vienna, once, for an afternoon, but that still gave me time to have a ride on the Ferris wheel (the Ferris wheel), more or less unchanged since the time The Third Man was made. I may watch it again tomorrow. Just because. And Valli.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Last week 2yr old grandson fell off the bed and hurt his arm. When they took him to hospital as he was in pain, it was difficult to get a good xray but they thought he had fractured the elbow and put on a temporary cast.
He was due to get the permanent one today but I had said to make sure they xrayed it again to make sure.
Tonight when I rang she said after the xrays they decided he hadn't fractured it at all just bruised it so now he is cast free.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
There is a whinge in here but it's mainly an unwhinge...

In November last year I was stopped by the police for driving without insurance, an offence for which you are automatically guilty. Yesterday in court my 'special reasons' defence was accepted by the magistrates and I was given an absolute discharge – no penalty points, no fine, no court costs, no victim surcharge. The standard penalty is a £300 fine and six points, though both can be higher so this was literally the very best outcome possible. Woohoo!

The reasons I had no insurance: I was driving my parents' car and I've been a named driver for 20+ years. Two days before the insurance company tried to take payment my father lost his wallet and we cancelled his cards so the payment was rejected. The insurance company then wrote to my father at his old address.

The whinge is that months ago the CPS had all the documentary evidence (letter from bank re the lost cards, all the info from the insurers that I have been a named driver for years, the wrongly addressed letter, father's witness statement etc. Everything.) so there was months of unnecessary stress (at a difficult time for me), a pointless and expensive legal process and court visit.

But there's a bottle of champagne in the fridge that I'll be opening this evening as it now all done and dusted. Finito!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
But there's a bottle of champagne in the fridge that I'll be opening this evening as it now all done and dusted. Finito!
Twist: drinks champagne, drives, loses licence.

Only joking, well done! When working at the Magistrates' Courts I'd see this now and then. People can avoid a conviction if it's unfair and they persevere. Nerve-wracking but worthwhile.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
There is a whinge in here but it's mainly an unwhinge...

In November last year I was stopped by the police for driving without insurance, an offence for which you are automatically guilty. Yesterday in court my 'special reasons' defence was accepted by the magistrates and I was given an absolute discharge – no penalty points, no fine, no court costs, no victim surcharge. The standard penalty is a £300 fine and six points, though both can be higher so this was literally the very best outcome possible. Woohoo!

The reasons I had no insurance: I was driving my parents' car and I've been a named driver for 20+ years. Two days before the insurance company tried to take payment my father lost his wallet and we cancelled his cards so the payment was rejected. The insurance company then wrote to my father at his old address.

The whinge is that months ago the CPS had all the documentary evidence (letter from bank re the lost cards, all the info from the insurers that I have been a named driver for years, the wrongly addressed letter, father's witness statement etc. Everything.) so there was months of unnecessary stress (at a difficult time for me), a pointless and expensive legal process and court visit.

Congrats! I haven't had a letter, so I'm guessing that I was inside the speed threshold. Huzzah!

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member