The Unwhinge Thread

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Another success with research: I found a brief autobiography of a retired forestry commission employee in an old newsletter from the 90s that had been scanned and put online at some point recently. The author mentioned that he had done national service with the Royal Artillery in 1950 in Hong Kong and Malaya. He mentioned 25-pdrs, which indicated a field regiment, so I wrote to the editor who (like all old chaps it seems) still has paper records going back ages, and he forwarded my message to the author, who is still very much alive at age--I think--ninety-one. It turns out that he was in the same battery as my grandfather, and although the name doesn't ring any bells with him he's just sent me a disc full of old photographs and a written account of what he got up to.

Can't wait to get my hands on them!

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I’m just back in from a celebratory 17¼ mile round-trip Costa run on my Trek Madone 2.1, to celebrate the departure of Exocet, Weeble and Load.

At Prettytown Costa l mixed it up by having a hazelnut latte instead of my usual extra-shot cappuccino.

If you’re not living on the edge, you’re taking up too much room.

maximus otter

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Perhaps I'm getting softhearted, but the following photograph turned up on Reddit and then Facebook today and I thought it was great. The poster's father was a tourist visiting Tarbert in Ireland back in 1985, and while he was waiting for a ferry a group of local children saw his camera and insisted that he take their photo. He did so and--the Internet being occasionally more marvellous than it is horrific--three of the four children were been identified within an hour of it going this online more than thirty years later. Sadly the boy second from left died young (just 16), but this remains a fantastic moment to have been frozen in time. You can't go back, but I'd love to be this age again--for a while at least.

eyofkrfbmqa31.jpg

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
A jay landed in front of me, on my way home from work. I stood stock still in my tracks, with my hand over my mouth, and watched it from behind a shield of overgrowth (I walk through a slightly wooded area to get home); I eventually moved a little bit and the jay flew into the trees...but I loved that moment. What a beautiful bird, it made me exceptionally happy for the rest of my walk home in the muggy heat.

I see loads of wildlife on my way to and fro: rabbits, rats, moorhens, muntjac, butterflies, ducks, a gazillion other birds. And it was ant day yesterday; that was a walk home and a half! The jay was just so fabulous as I was so close to it before it flew into the trees, and it was so pretty.

Today was a good day!

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
As you know, Jays are the chief propagators of new Oak trees as they do not chew off the acorn meristem before burying them (unlike squirrels and mice).
The jay I saw was near (and flew into) some young oaks.

I took a bus home today, so the only wildlife I saw was hordes of tourists milling around Carfax in the centre of Oxford!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Miss Yith had her first proper swimming lesson today.

We've had a bit of a saga with this: I first took her into pools at nine-months (earlier than you're supposed to probably--I never read any books on parenting), holding her all the time obviously, but she loved it, and once a month or so we'd check into a hotel on Saturday night just to use the pool and relax: a bit decadent, but unparalleled for 'family time'.

So for a few years now she has had no fear of water whatsoever. I have countless videos of her bombing into pools at various resorts, but she still can't actually swim. Last year we sent her to a class with her friends, but half of the children their age were terrified of the water (full-on tears and shrieking), so although she had a lot of fun (once the shrieking was concluded), they never once had them out of their depth without armbands (don't Americans call them "water-wings"?). Anyway, in terms of learning it was a waste of time and we abandoned it after a few months.

Here in Korea, there's 'THE ESTABLISHED TIME' for everything (blame Confucius), and most kids don't usually try to learn to swim until they are at least five or six, so there aren't any 'lessons' she can easily take. Also, I've begun to notice that a surprising number of Koreans can't swim at all--which strikes me as incongruous given that they inhabit a long peninsula. Anyway, fortunately, my wife mentioned this to the instructor who taught her sister to swim (as an adult), and he offered to give my daughter one-on-one lessons an hour a week, possibly more depending on how it goes.

This chap clearly knows what he's doing: zero floatation devices, immediately out of her depth, doing breathing exercises and spending time under the water. I can swim pretty well myself (it isn't pretty, but I can do it all day--ahem), but this chap is some kind of humanoid-dolphin and my daughter began to trust him immediately and loved the lesson.

That's my unwhinge.

Thank you for reading.

:D

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Miss Yith had her first proper swimming lesson today.

We've had a bit of a saga with this: I first took her into pools at nine-months (earlier than you're supposed to probably--I never read any books on parenting), holding her all the time obviously, but she loved it, and once a month or so we'd check into a hotel on Saturday night just to use the pool and relax: a bit decadent, but unparalleled for 'family time'.

So for a few years now she has had no fear of water whatsoever. I have countless videos of her bombing into pools at various resorts, but she still can't actually swim. Last year we sent her to a class with her friends, but half of the children their age were terrified of the water (full-on tears and shrieking), so although she had a lot of fun (once the shrieking was concluded), they never once had them out of their depth without armbands (don't Americans call them "water-wings"?). Anyway, in terms of learning it was a waste of time and we abandoned it after a few months.

Here in Korea, there's 'THE ESTABLISHED TIME' for everything (blame Confucius), and most kids don't usually try to learn to swim until they are at least five or six, so there aren't any 'lessons' she can easily take. Also, I've begun to notice that a surprising number of Koreans can't swim at all--which strikes me as incongruous given that they inhabit a long peninsula. Anyway, fortunately, my wife mentioned this to the instructor who taught my her sister to swim (as an adult), and he offered to give my daughter one-on-one lessons an hour a week, possibly more depending on how it goes.

This chap clearly knows what he's doing: zero floatation devices, immediately out of her depth, doing breathing exercises and spending time under the water. I can swim pretty well myself (it isn't pretty, but I can do it all day--ahem), but this chap is some kind of humanoid-dolphin and my daughter began to trust him immediately and loved the lesson.

That's my unwhinge.

Thank you for reading.

:D
Good work!

At a gym where I worked kids had swimming lessons and one used to scream the whole time he was there. His name was Noah.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I was drafting this as a plea for Technical Help:

"I have been trying without success to add my gmail mailbox to Apple Mail 5.2.

Some online reports suggest that Google have prevented gmail working with rivals.

I have enabled Google's "Less Secure Apps" option but the mailbox remains marked ! for nothing-doing."

As I was about to post it, I noticed Mail springing to life to download the 31 messages I had accrued on gmail, including a test message
I had sent two minutes earlier.

Now I suppose I have to answer the urgent Google ones, asking "Was it you?" :rolleyes:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I was drafting this as a plea for Technical Help:

"I have been trying without success to add my gmail mailbox to Apple Mail 5.2.

Some online reports suggest that Google have prevented gmail working with rivals.

I have enabled Google's "Less Secure Apps" option but the mailbox remains marked ! for nothing-doing."

As I was about to post it, I noticed Mail springing to life to download the 31 messages I had accrued on gmail, including a test message
I had sent two minutes earlier.

Now I suppose I have to answer the urgent Google ones, asking "Was it you?" :rolleyes:
Sounds like a server problem at their end.

titch

Justified & Ancient
The big boss turned up unexpectedly, asked if he could speak to me before any body else turned up. I immediately starting thinking he knew I spent more time watering my tomatoes yesterday then working (I didn't do any work)

But no! The board is committed to rewarding people for their hard work, as from August I will be getting an extra £64 a month, this will be in addition to the normal December wage review. And there was me thinking my cunning laziness had been rumbled.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
The big boss turned up unexpectedly, asked if he could speak to me before any body else turned up. I immediately starting thinking he knew I spent more time watering my tomatoes yesterday then working (I didn't do any work)

But no! The board is committed to rewarding people for their hard work, as from August I will be getting an extra £64 a month, this will be in addition to the normal December wage review. And there was me thinking my cunning laziness had been rumbled.
We had our annual pay review this week and much to my surprise I got a 4% pay rise for the second year running – I'm still under the national average so I'm not retiring yet, but having paid off the mortgage a couple of years ago, having no kids and two incomes we have nothing to complain about. I have loads of issues that weigh me down – at least financial woes don't add to the mix!

And the only reason we could pay off the mortgage is our age, I'm 56 – not super wealth! My first flat cost £33,000 when I was earning £11,500 in the early 1990s and our present house cost my wife £40,000 or so. Lord knows how the younger generation will ever buy their own home in some places unless they earn a lot or inherit.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Another anxiety turned out to be largely groundless. The ticking in the cold-water pipe which runs over my back-door seemed to have got worse. It is boxed-in but there were a few signs of moisture having penetrated the thick plank beneath it. An investigation was called-for. I did not fancy calling out an emergency plumber. I dug out my insurance documents. True to form, I had not even opened the envelope with my latest T&C documentation. It became clear that I had not opted for Emergency Call-Out Cover and the excess for a water-leak would be £200 anyway!

Time to get up the ladder and prise open the box. On the hottest day of the year, the condensation along the length of the cold-water pipe should not have surprised me. I breathed a sigh of relief and assumed the noise was a drip that would cease as soon as the weather changed.

In any case, the ticking sound was one I had heard before without consequences. Maybe I was in free-floating anxiety mode.

When the weather turned and the ticking seemed no better, no worse, I decided a proper visual inspection was necessary. I armed myself with plumbers' tape and waterproof sealant, before the shops shut today. Then I had to prise open the front of the box again and use a mirror and flashlamp and papers to slip under the pipe to find out the worst.

Well the condensation was much reduced. What moisture there was could be ascribed to that. There was no obvious source of dripping around the joint to cause the noise. It soon became obvious that the ticking was within this joint.

I did learn how ancient the entering cold-water pipe looked - presumably the original. There was no obvious solution online but a joint between metals could be causing some differential expansion effects, maybe connected with the recent weather. I will keep an eye on it but I am certainly glad I did not call someone in. Thank God I can still climb a ladder - when motivated! :hapdan:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Another anxiety turned out to be largely groundless. The ticking in the cold-water pipe which runs over my back-door seemed to have got worse. It is boxed-in but there were a few signs of moisture having penetrated the thick plank beneath it. An investigation was called-for. I did not fancy calling out an emergency plumber. I dug out my insurance documents. True to form, I had not even opened the envelope with my latest T&C documentation. It became clear that I had not opted for Emergency Call-Out Cover and the excess for a water-leak would be £200 anyway!

Time to get up the ladder and prise open the box. On the hottest day of the year, the condensation along the length of the cold-water pipe should not have surprised me. I breathed a sigh of relief and assumed the noise was a drip that would cease as soon as the weather changed.

In any case, the ticking sound was one I had heard before without consequences. Maybe I was in free-floating anxiety mode.

When the weather turned and the ticking seemed no better, no worse, I decided a proper visual inspection was necessary. I armed myself with plumbers' tape and waterproof sealant, before the shops shut today. Then I had to prise open the front of the box again and use a mirror and flashlamp and papers to slip under the pipe to find out the worst.

Well the condensation was much reduced. What moisture there was could be ascribed to that. There was no obvious source of dripping around the joint to cause the noise. It soon became obvious that the ticking was within this joint.

I did learn how ancient the entering cold-water pipe looked - presumably the original. There was no obvious solution online but a joint between metals could be causing some differential expansion effects, maybe connected with the recent weather. I will keep an eye on it but I am certainly glad I did not call someone in. Thank God I can still climb a ladder - when motivated! :hapdan:
You could lag the pipe. It'd help in the winter, but it could be useful to soak up condensation.
Or... at some point, get the pipe replaced if it looks corroded? Plastic pipes are used now.

Krepostnoi

Viva la Quinta Brigada
Got a merit for the piece of coursework I was shoving up the hill earlier in the year. It was a pig of a thing to complete, and for once I had genuinely no idea if I had done enough to pass, let alone get a higher grade.

2 modules down, one to go... Hopefully it will all be over by next May.