The Unwhinge Thread

hunck

Justified & Ancient
My front door Chubb mortice lock has been getting hard to work recently & I thought I'd have to replace it. I was looking for the same model so it would fit straight in, otherwise I'd probaby need a lock fitter. It's an old lock & I wasn't sure they still made them the same size etc.

My local lock shop had them for £128 but said it may be repairable & to bring it in. Just did so & they put new mechanism in for £14 - result.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Came home late today to discover that my wife has spontaneously changed our Internet Service Provider from K.T. (Korean Telecom) to S.K. (South Korean Telecom)--a cosmetic difference, you may think.

On the contrary!

Our monthly cost for Internet and Cable TV has been reduced from W50,000 (about £34) to W25,000 (£17) per month at a stroke.

There are more channels on the TV (not that I ever watch it) and as we both have S.K. phone contracts they've given me a voucher for about £60 off the latest Samsung Galaxy Note 10 (which I'm on the waiting list for).

By chance our contract had ended this month and their rivals phoned to tempt us to defect. I have no idea whether they knew that we were free agents or not, but it's a winner regardless.

I've just done the speed test and it's pretty much identical to the old connection. Viva la free market!

Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 23.43.59.png

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
I have just commenced a most unusual (for me) solo pub crawl in Countytown.

If my posts become incoherent as the afternoon progresses, please be understanding.

maximus otter
I only ever done a solo pub crawl once in my drinking days.

It did not go well. To cut a long story short, I ended up drinking cherry wine in a pub toilet, falling in some mud while trying to do a pee on some spare ground, then being genuinely surprised when I was refused entry to another pub, presumably on the grounds of being so drunk I could barely speak, and covered in mud.

I may also have dozed off on the train home that night, I can't quite remember.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
My daughter came home from play-school today with an enchanting toy.

It's a small robot, slightly smaller than a ping-pong ball with a translucent 'body' and small wheels. It's charged via a USB-port.

It comes with a set of marker pens of (I think) five colours.

The child (or the fascinated father) draws patterns on a large sheet of paper, patterns made of lines, featuring plenty of twists and turns and colour changes. When you place the robot on a line, the body of the robot changes to match the colour of that line and the robot follows that line along the paper. If the line merges into a line of a new colour, the robot changes colour, and if it encounters a blank patch ('white'), it will spin and search for a new colour to follow.

It's an ingenious little thing and fantastic for a child to play with.

I feel like my grandfather must have when I showed him my Spectrum!

Edit: found 'em. There's a whole range, all with different abilities. Obviously, robotics are a big thing here. There are 'robot academies' for kids to learn how they work and how to build them. They can start attending at about age five or six, I think.

GUEST_40f9ebb5-80e8-47ce-9276-b4d52ac8265d.jpeg lifestyle2_ozobot_2_2.jpg ozobot-bit-20-dual-set.jpg 675648546.g_400-w_g.jpg

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
My daughter came home from play-school today with an enchanting toy.

It's a small robot, slightly smaller than a ping-pong ball with a translucent 'body' and small wheels. It's charged via a USB-port.

It comes with a set of marker pens of (I think) five colours.

The child (or the fascinated father) draws patterns on a large sheet of papers, patterns made of lines featuring plenty of twists and turns and colour changes. When you place the robot on a line, the body of the robot changes to match the colour of that line and the robot follows that line along the paper. If the line merges into a line of a new colour, the robot changes colour, and if it encounters a blank patch ('white'), it will spin and search for a new colour to follow.

It's an ingenious little thing and fantastic for a child to play with.

I feel like my grandfather must have when I showed him my Spectrum!

Edit: found 'em. There's a whole range, all with different abilities. Obviously, robotics are a big thing here. There are 'robot academies' for kids to learn how they work and how to build them. They can start attending at about age five or six, I think.

View attachment 19982 View attachment 19983 View attachment 19984 View attachment 19986
Want one. Now.