The Unwhinge Thread

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I have a very few shares in a company I used to work for – I forgot to bank my last dividend cheque but I must get this in to my account sharpish. The last one was for 3p, the recent one for...6p! I'm rich! Rich, I tell you!!
I had the same thing when I had shares with the Bank of Ireland. Eventually, they stopped sending cheques for pennies.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I have a very few shares in a company I used to work for – I forgot to bank my last dividend cheque but I must get this in to my account sharpish. The last one was for 3p, the recent one for...6p! I'm rich! Rich, I tell you!!
Bet the tax man takes his whack, don't buy the rolls Royce just yet.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Today I took a disabled friend out for a car ride. On impulse I bought us a huge lemon meringue pie and we parked up near a lake to see how much of it we could stuff down our throats.

We'd flick crumbs out and gulls would crowd around for them. Then I took a bit of crust and lobbed it on the car roof, and the gulls scrabbled for it and we pretended we were in The Birds.

He told me not to hold any food near the car's open window because the gulls would come in for it. Of course I wanted to try that and he insisted they'd mob us.
So I laughed and said 'How about you hold some pie out of the window and and see if they take that?' to which he replied 'They'll peck my hand!'

My next suggestion was that he stick his head out with some pie on and wait for the gulls to notice, to which his response was 'You're just being silly now!'

By now I was laughing so hard I couldn't speak. When I could get the words out it was 'You could pull your pants down, stick your bum out, balance some pie on it and and when the gulls come I'll take a photo!'

He didn't think that was HALF as funny as I did, for some reason. I'm still laughing. Does you good!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I've just accepted a facebook friend request because I strongly remembered the name but couldn't place him ..

.. so I've just looked through his pics and was drawing a blank until I came across a pic of his coming up to 60 years old face with a mad grin on his face ... holy shit!!, it's **** ******! .. we used to go to early hardcore raves together 30 years ago, get heavily stoned together and other mental stuff I still can't mention to date in case the law get wind of it . He looks happy with a Mrs and two teenage lads nowadays, no matter what they get up to though, they won't ever be able to shock **** :cool: ..

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've just accepted a facebook friend request because I strongly remembered the name but couldn't place him ..

.. so I've just looked through his pics and was drawing a blank until I came across a pic of his coming up to 60 years old face with a mad grin on his face ... holy shit!!, it's **** ******! .. we used to go to early hardcore raves together 30 years ago, get heavily stoned together and other mental stuff I still can't mention to date in case the law get wind of it . He looks happy with a Mrs and two teenage lads nowadays, no matter what they get up to though, they won't ever be able to shock **** :cool: ..
It's so nice to bump into an old pal!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Did you have that conversation -
'Remember Bill? 'Yeah, dead!'
'Remember Danny? 'Yeah, dead!'
'Remember Fran? 'Yeah, married a vicar!'
'Remember Jane? 'Yeah, she cleaned up!'
'Remember Joe 'Yeah, Paras, shot up, one leg!'
'Remember Fi? 'Yeah, stabbed her pimp, think she's out now!'
'Remember Colin? 'Yeah, he got elected!'
'Remember Phil? 'Yeah, dead!'
etc

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Did you have that conversation -
'Remember Bill? 'Yeah, dead!'
'Remember Danny? 'Yeah, dead!'
'Remember Fran? 'Yeah, married a vicar!'
'Remember Jane? 'Yeah, she cleaned up!'
'Remember Joe 'Yeah, Paras, shot up, one leg!'
'Remember Fi? 'Yeah, stabbed her pimp, think she's out now!'
'Remember Colin? 'Yeah, he got elected!'
'Remember Phil? 'Yeah, dead!'
etc
Not yet but I'm anticipating something similar, yes .. I'm glad he seems to have come out of those days smelling of roses but then he was never daft.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
We're watching a film we recorded... Hue and Cry.
It's great! If the kids' acting looks especially good, as they emerge from the sewer, I'm told it's because they had really been in a sewer and not some studio mock-up! With its combination of black market and subterranean themes, it anticipates The Third Man. Great location photography and a slightly-disconcerting bondage scene . . . what's not to love! :clap:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
We're watching a film we recorded... Hue and Cry. It's got a young Harry Fowler in (so that's bonus one, he's one of our fave actors)...

... and... Alastair Sim has just made an appearance! This just gets better and better.

:popc:
It's a great film.

During the first year away from Blighty my dear old dad send me a few collections of Ealing films (not all comedies) and they proved the perfect tonic for mild-homesickness. Having checked the boxes, they were:
  • Kind Hears and Coronets
  • Nicolas Nicklby
  • Passport to Pimlico
  • Went the Day Well?
  • Hue & Cry
  • The Lavander Hill Mob
  • The Titfield Thunderbolt
  • Dead of Night
  • Scott of the Antarctic
  • The Ladykillers
  • The Magnet
  • The Man in the White Suit
I don't think I ever watched The Magnet, but if I'd happily watch any of the others again at a drop of a hat.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
My personal unwhinge is that after an enforced break for the dreaded virus-apocalypse, I managed two days of teaching, which, even though classes were only 70% full, has been very welcome financially.

I also received an email from the parent of a long-term student to tell me that her son has passed his interview and been offered a place at selective English-language 'International' school.

I wrote the reference for the lad, and he, apparently, turned in an excellent essay under exam-conditions.

She got my standard reply: I'm very pleased indeed. Please tell everybody you know.

:D

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
I don't think I ever watched The Magnet
Well-worth seeking-out. Unlike most of the Ealing flms, it is set Oop North - the Wirral & Merseyside. It stars the young James Fox, billed under his real first name, William. It also starts with a much-loved Fortean theme: the secret chalked language of tramps!

I see the Grauniad has a clip! :clap:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
You're so restrained.
Seriously though, positive word-of-mouth is absolutely the best reward she could give me.

I've only once posted an advertisement in the press and it brought only a couple of interviews with ultimately unsuitable students.

Some of my loyalest customers, in contrast, have introduced dozens of new students over the years, and their total fees have probably run to thousands of pounds.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
It's a great film.

During the first year away from Blighty my dear old dad send me a few collections of Ealing films (not all comedies) and they proved the perfect tonic for mild-homesickness. Having checked the boxes, they were:
  • Kind Hears and Coronets
  • Nicolas Nicklby
  • Passport to Pimlico
  • Went the Day Well?
  • Hue & Cry
  • The Lavander Hill Mob
  • The Titfield Thunderbolt
  • Dead of Night
  • Scott of the Antarctic
  • The Ladykillers
  • The Magnet
  • The Man in the White Suit
I don't think I ever watched The Magnet, but if I'd happily watch any of the others again at a drop of a hat.
We've seen quite a few of those (can't list which ones offhand but definitely Passport to Pimlico and The Ladykillers) but all the ones we've seen (we have some of them on DVD) are very excellent.

If you haven't seen The Magnet I would definitely recommend... it's a cracking film. We're biased maybe, because it is set in the Wirral (which is one of our very favourite places to visit) but even aside from that it's very good.

Well-worth seeking-out. Unlike most of the Ealing flms, it is set Oop North - the Wirral & Merseyside. It stars the young James Fox, billed under his real first name, William. It also starts with a much-loved Fortean theme: the secret chalked language of tramps!

I see the Grauniad has a clip!:clap:
Basically wot 'e said :)