The Unwhinge Thread

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
Thank you! How kind.
Yup, we had a super time. Rounded it off with a few drinks at a local craft brewery. Can't remember how we got home.
Glad you had a nice time.

Double whammy this morning .. my parents have decided to move back to England and I've almost certainly got a new job I was crossing my fingers for .. and it's only 10 am :)
Congratulations!

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
WARNING: Account of hunting ahead:

I was fed up yesterday (Saturday 21.3.20) and suffering from cabin fever, so I got kitted up and went out on the farm for the first time in weeks. I had zero expectations as it's been virtually underwater for weeks, and the wind was such that I had to stalk into the land with it blowing my scent ahead of me. Also, my farmer was out on a field up ahead in his noisy tractor. And it was 3 o'clock in the afternoon, and deer tend to be crepuscular. Anyway: I was expecting more of an "armed stroll" and some fresh air, rather than a result.

The outward trip lived up to my low expectations; on the walk back I was mentally in my car and driving home, when - on the horizon - I saw what I initially took to be horses. A quick look through my lush new binoculars revealed them to be roe does. They were several hundred yards away, but at least they were there. I quickened my pace.

It became apparent that they had doubled back towards me for some reason, and looked as though they were about to come through a hedge onto my side, at a range of about 150 yards. I set up my rifle on my quad sticks, increased the magnification of my 'scope to 8X and waited.

The first roe pushed through the hedge and stopped 148 yards away, presenting the perfect 90° broadside shot to her right side. Crosshairs just behind the shoulder at midline...

TIIiiish...pok!

She dropped instantly in her hoofprints. My view:

Now for the necessary, satisfying, but less enjoyable part...

And then the groan-inducing trek back to the car carrying the take.

My friend in her new home:

Just to add to the unwhinginess of this thread, the memsahib and I were enjoying a cup of coffee in our conservatory, watching the birds eating us out of house and home, when she remembered that she had filled her small hip flask with brandy before our trip into York for the family meeting last weekend. Said flask had remained untapped. So, in a spirit (see what I did there?) of fin de siècle tout decadence, I now have an 11 a.m. brandy buzz on, as well as about 15-20lbs. of free range venison in the chiller.

Life is good.

maximus otter

Last edited:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
A 90-year-old London man, who is self-isolating during the coronavirus outbreak, was delivered a keg of his favourite beer by his local pub.

In a sign that British solidarity can’t be dimmed during a crisis, The Empress Pub in London delivered a keg of beer and a box of crisps to one of their elderly regulars. Cyril, the 90-year-old regular, was said to have been “over the moon” about the gesture of kindness.

“He comes to the pub every day and I just didn’t want him to miss out. The barrel of beer expires in two months and it’s not as if we will be open then,” [landlord] Michael Buurman said.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/20...-year-old-regular-after-coronavirus-shutdown/

maximus otter

pandacracker

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Mmmm... looks nice but I'm wheat intolerant.

A perry reduction with leaks, mushrooms and herbs goes well with venison. I also recommend a red wine reduction with cinnamon and a bit of cream.

What times lunch?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Mmmm... looks nice but I'm wheat intolerant.

A perry reduction with leaks, mushrooms and herbs goes well with venison. I also recommend a red wine reduction with cinnamon and a bit of cream.

What times lunch?
Sorry, you just missed it:

Also, there's wheat in that (delicious) pastry. Life, eh?

maximus otter

pandacracker

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I could have scrapped the pastry off!

Oh well, cheese and oatcakes for me then.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
looks nice but I'm wheat intolerant.
Worth looking for the chilled, gluten-free, ready-made, just roll-it-out pastries out there. Some are layered so that a fake mille-feuille effect is possible, or roll it out more for short-crust. Not exactly a health-food but a fairly-good approximation to ordinary pastry.

The nicest gluten-free shortcrust I have had was on some mince pies, probably from Aldi or Lidl. :dinner:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Looking at that is enough to make me burp!
One of the venison pies that the mem made us just before Christmas (its twin is still in the freezer), plus some home-grown tomatoes made into chutney. I can't claim the wine, but it was a lovely Malbec.

maximus otter

Last edited:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
My invitation to dinner must have been lost in the mail...
Yep, that’s what’ll have happened. Nothing to do with the toilet paper shortage, as sure as l’m standing on this camel.

maximus otter