The Unwhinge Thread

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Oh, and yesterday, while out, a sparrowhawk landed on the pavement (sidewalk) right in front of me, with a bird in its talons.

Nature, red in tooth and claw!
We had one take a small bird off our seed feeder so hard and fast that the victim’s leg was left behind, its claws still clutching the wires.

maximus otter

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
WARNING: Mention of dead animal ahead.

For those who read my account of Saturday's stalk, here's the result after I finally got round to dealing with the carcase:

23½lbs. as seen; about 12-13lbs. meat in the freezer, after bones, bullet-damaged meat etc. removed.

Food crisis? What food crisis?

maximus otter

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you peel the skin from a deer in the same way you can peep it from a rabbit? inside out and with deft knife work?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Can you peel the skin from a deer in the same way you can peep it from a rabbit? inside out and with deft knife work?
Rabbits are far easier, though it's been many years since I prepared one. With deer, one also has the problems of sheer size to deal with.

The absolute worst, for some inexplicable reason, are muntjac. Their hides seem to be held on with superglue.

I don't claim any great expertise in carcase preparation; it's more like my efforts at sex: Tug, twiddle and heave until the desired result is achieved...

maximus otter

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Finally got my start date for my new job today .. I know my way around the old place and my old co workers already as well as some of my new ones .. and we're being protected by the police this time as of this morning. Officially allowed to walk the streets is a bonus at the moment.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Finally got my start date for my new job today .. I know my way around the old place and my old co workers already as well as some of my new ones .. and we're being protected by the police this time as of this morning. Officially allowed to walk the streets is a bonus at the moment.
Congrats!
Swifty, when are you running for local councillor or MP? Everybody in Cromer must know you by now.

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Reaction score
Good idea .. I'll give it a go.
Really, I advise against it, think it through, you would have to employ your entire family and then have to shag an intern without any of them or the press finding out, too much hassle, but if you still want to give it a go I'll vote for you ( so long as you make me your intern ).

Swifty

Reaction score
Really, I advise against it, think it through, you would have to employ your entire family and then have to shag an intern without any of them or the press finding out, too much hassle, but if you still want to give it a go I'll vote for you ( so long as you make me your intern ).
Would I have to give you the reach around after I shag you?

Swifty

Reaction score
WARNING: Mention of dead animal ahead.

For those who read my account of Saturday's stalk, here's the result after I finally got round to dealing with the carcase:

23½lbs. as seen; about 12-13lbs. meat in the freezer, after bones, bullet-damaged meat etc. removed.

Food crisis? What food crisis?

maximus otter
We saw a close range muntjac today .. I had my black widow with me but I reckon I would have only injured it using that so I didn't try .. I would have loved to re stock the freezer with it.

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
We saw a close range muntjac today .. I had my black widow with me but I reckon I would have only injured it using that so I didn't try .. I would have loved to re stock the freezer with it.
How far can you throw the black widow and can you ensure it will bite on cue?

Tin

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
The farmers are muck-spreading the fields here to feed the grass ready for the lambs. I normally dislike this time as it makes sitting outside not nice for a few days (it's only a few days so no big issue), but I find myself welcoming the normality of it this year.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
All Ducati parts: pannier rack and soft panniers for the bike, a new seat and a wee screen.

List price, plus delivery - between £900 and £1000

From various sellers on ebay, plus delivery about £200

Just been fitting them all and, to quote @maximus otter

Life is good.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
We have a garden which needs some attention. How can anyone be bored when they have weeds to pull up and a chair to sit on and a little table to stand a drink on?
We did some gardening earlier this evening, after work. Decided to tackle some of the 'bottom corner' which doesn't get much attention. Moved some branches (cut a couple of years ago) out of there and onto our 'these will do for kindling' pile elsewhere, then found that the leaves underneath had all turned into a mulchy stuff that looks suspiciously like compost :D

And underneath that we found two pieces of plastic corrugated sheeting which we didn't know were there (must have been there from before we moved in).

And we have two rhubarb plants starting to come up :joyf:

So a most enjoyable and lucrative gardening stint.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Wow!

My excellent and lovely wife, realising that I was succumbing to cabin fever, just bought me this surprise prezzie to cheer me up:

"In this book, "After the Battle" have explored entirely new ground to investigate 150 years of murder and present it through our 'then and now' theme of comparison photographs.

It includes scene of crime plans, photographs from police files as well as from the Press, focus on a wide variety of murders committed between 1812, when a Prime Minister was shot in the House of Commons, to killings on the streets of London in the 1960s. Included are many of the 'headline' murderers like Jack the Ripper, Dr Crippen, Kennedy and Browne, the 'Black-out' Ripper, John Haigh, John Christie, Donald Hume, Ruth Ellis, Ronald Marwood, Guenther Podola and the Roberts Gang, along with other less notorious - but equally important - murders.

Extracts from eyewitnesses and investigating officers, original statements taken by police including from the murderers, newspaper articles published at the time, pathologist accounts and even descriptions given by executioners are all blended with photographs of the murder scenes as they appear today."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scenes-Mur...er+then+and+now&qid=1585728949&s=books&sr=1-1

Eagle-eyed FTMB-ers will recognise the photos on the front cover: They depict the tragic death of Mr. Alec de Antiquis, shot by escaping robbers in London, and recently mentioned by me in this thread.

Happy days! (If you know what I mean...)

maximus otter

Tin

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
This morning I found lots of sign of badgers - I do see their tracks and little scrapes filled with their scat around as they pass through but there are holes and scat everywhere. I'm going to dig a hole for them somewhere whilst in lockdown and see if they make a home here.