The Unwhinge Thread

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
This morning I found lots of sign of badgers - I do see their tracks and little scrapes filled with their scat around as they pass through but there are holes and scat everywhere. I'm going to dig a hole for them somewhere whilst in lockdown and see if they make a home here.
yDPCmRr.gif

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Although they still have a large backlog, the Royal Mail has resumed deliveries to South Korea.
It looks as if Miss Yith's Easter eggs are not going to arrive in time, but at least things are now moving along.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, Miss Yith was shaken to learn that her favourite fried chicken place had closed down and moved elsewhere. It's on the ground floor of the building in which I work, so my wife would often phone in an order and send me a message to ask me to pick up the food and bring it home with me. I don't eat chicken, but I take a father's satisfaction in watching my daughter enjoy her food, so I'm happy to deliver it.

Anyway, after a fortnight of refurbishment, I find that the old fried chicken place has been replaced with.... a different fried chicken place!

Hope their recipe is up to scratch. We'll probably test it on Friday night.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Doing a basic grocery shop this afternoon, and an entire supermarket shelf full of toilet paper in vast quantities available for purchase! What joy! Toilet paper is rarer than hens teeth, so a 24 pack is a delight!

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
My land-line phone went down 6 weeks ago (probably longer), no one could phone in (either busy or unobtainable tone) and I could phone out but not hear anything. Broadband was fine though. I bought a new phone cord and then a new phone to no avail. The diagnostic tests on the BT website were useless and Chat has been discontinued. Just my luck that BT were experiencing a higher than usual volume of calls when I tried to contact them. Finally found the script about removing the wall socket plate and plugging the phone directly into the concealed master socket - worked fine. So (unwhinge) I bought a new ADSL filter from the BT shop at double the price of a normal one (whinge) and my land-line works ! (just not going to tell anyone).

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
The update to the Message Board's software made me switch from Safari to Chrome. Safari had always been a lot faster for me.

Maybe because I had never delved far enough into Chrome's preferences. You have to dig! Disabling some Third Party default, has speeded Chrome up to an amazing extent. It also enables me to browse on The Guardian site, which was becoming ridiculous.

Delivering Third Party content is actually more important to Google than the perceived performance of their own browser!

But I guess everybody here knew that already! :buck:

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Our dear elderly next door neighbour Cyril died a few years ago. (At his funeral I learned of his impressive war record. He'd been a Marine who was on the rowing boat going from ship to ship, in total darkness, the night before D Day, delivering top secret orders to ships' captains.)

We were given some tubs and pots of plants from his garden. Next spring, the two big tubs of hostas came up, and they've flourished every summer since. I love hostas but could never seem to grow them.

So today I sent Cyril's granddaughter a photo of the hostas and she was very pleased to know I was looking after them. It really cheered her up.
I said 'No, THEY are looking after ME!' ;)

Cyril's hostas.jpg

Last edited:

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Our dear elderly next door neighbour Cyril died a few years ago. (At his funeral I learned of his impressive war record. He'd been a Marine who was on the rowing boat going from ship to ship, in total darkness, the night before D Day, delivering top secret orders to ships' captains.)

We were given some tubs and pots of plants from his garden. Next spring, the two big tubs of hostas came up, and they've flourished every summer since. I love hostas but could never seem to grow them.

So today I sent Cyril's granddaughter a photo of the hostas and she was very pleased to know I was looking after them. It really cheered her up.
I said 'No, THEY are looking after ME!' ;)

View attachment 26284
Leave it to Escargot to flaunt her hostas about...

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Cycling along the Bristol-Bath bike path this evening there was a young man with a mechanical issue. Yes, I'm bigging myself up a little here (I admit it) but I asked if he was okay – I do that with everybody who looks like they have a mechanical issue. He was repairing a puncture but it wasn't working. And while I've been on a personal mission to ride 1000 miles on my furlough he was riding 1000 miles (and had exceeded this in just 27 days) during Ramadan, so no food or drink during daylight, to raise money for a Bristol homeless charity. Now that is an effort. And it was on a pretty modest bike too, so even more chapeau to him.

I was about five miles from home so I gave him my spare inner tube that was the correct size (the second time I've given my spare tube away – blows own trumpet quietly!!!) and no, I didn't charge him when he offered to pay; that would be very crass.

It was a very good day, all things considered. No egregious driving, the sun shining – a Man Ray kind of sky? No, more like a David Hockney 'Bigger Splash' sky – flat, blue, no contrails. Long may it continue.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
My unwhinge... as I've pretty much been keeping the wheels turning at company number 1 by turning up to the office almost every day, the boss showed his appreciation by giving me an extra £250 in my pay. :cool::D
At one of my old jobs I took on a load of undesirable extra work (mainly on the grounds that I am a bit of a control-freak/compulsive organiser) and when Christmas came around the director literally handed me an envelope full of cash (several hundred quid) and informed me that my extra effort had been noticed.

I ended up spending about half of the money on other people (paying for food and rounds of drinks for the more junior staff, for instance), but even to a cynic like me it felt nice to be appreciated.

It turns out that this, too, was noticed, because paying bills for junior staff is also a solid Asian tradition and I later heard that this had also impressed--by accident.

It also illustrated that pleasant but slightly claustrophobic environment you get at smaller (but not tiny) family-run firms: where everybody knows everybody else's business and the lines between work and private life are decidedly blurred.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
At one of my old jobs, after 22 years of doing the impossible for the ungrateful, they gave me a medal. l told them l’d trade it for a day off, but they wouldn’t listen.

lt gets worse: After 30 years they gave me a sheet of paper telling me that l’d worked for them for 30 years.

They did, however, also give me the rest of my life off.

maximus otter

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
At one of my old jobs, after 22 years of doing the impossible for the ungrateful, they gave me a medal. l told them l’d trade it for a day off, but they wouldn’t listen.

lt gets worse: After 30 years they gave me a sheet of paper telling me that l’d worked for them for 30 years.

They did, however, also give me the rest of my life off.

maximus otter
My father worked on the railway from, I think, the age of nineteen until sixty-two, and some of the rewards/awards were quite old-worldy: he got an engraved watch after (I think) forty years, and was taken for a meal by a senior manager along with three other old chaps of similar vintage on retirement and given tokens for a days out and a meal in London to celebrate with family.

Better than a kick in the balls for certain.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
My father worked on the railway from, I think, the age of nineteen until sixty-two, and some of the rewards/awards were quite old-worldy: he got an engraved watch after (I think) forty years, and was taken for a meal by a senior management along with three other old chaps of similar vintage on retirement and given tokens for a days out and a meal in London to celebrate with family.

Better than a kick in the balls for certain.
You just made me think there: l now dimly remember being offered a choice between two crystal items, one of which was a fruit bowl; also an opportunity to have an exit interview with the Chief Constable. I don’t believe that my verbal response to the latter offer was relayed to His Eminence.

The crystal gewgaw? l have no idea where it might be. l just had to spend several minutes looking for my Long Service Medal. l found it in an oddments box, under the commemorative cloth patch l bought after my wife and l hiked the Peddars Way/Norfolk Coast Path and on top of a pretty seashell my wife found once. That signifies its importance to me!

maximus otter

Who me

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Morning morning everyone I received 3 yes3 copies of the Fortean times this week two back issues and the latest edition. So the missus has not been able to get a lot out of me this week.
Badly dehydrated because I haven’t received my FT mug so I can’t have a brew with it.
Well done cycle boy damn decent thing to do.