The Unwhinge Thread

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The best Western novels are works of true American literature.

Zane Grey's 1912 Riders of the Purple Sage is generally acknowledged as the first of the genre.
It's a lovely read with elegant prose and interesting characters.

I read it as teenager because it was there and I read everything, and I then went on to read all my Dad's 'cowboy books'.

My father and grandfather used to swap them so there were often new ones available.

Can't remember much about them now except the racism in relation to Native Americans and the brutality of their alleged torture methods, such as the 'gutshot'.

If anyone needs a new genre to explore, the Western is the way forward!

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I ordered half-a-dozen wines from a local supplier last Wednesday. The box turned up Thursday but I only opened it Friday – I'd ordered five chardonnays and a champagne (also a chardonnay and at a massive discount). On opening the box I found four rieslings, a rosé and a Viognier. It took me a while to get in touch with the company as they're very busy and it's now been sorted, and I've done very well out of it.

They've given me a ten-pound voucher, which is nice, but they've also sent two of everything and left the original delivery. So I've got 18 bottles for the price of six and a tenner off! That's a result. I've been a customer of theirs for years and would have been happy with the voucher (and one of the original bottles that I drank as I'd no wine in the house and it was raining; I had told them about that).

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Feeling chuffed today. Went out on the bike this morning with the intention of riding local hills but pouring rain made me change my plans (descending in driving rain in traffic is no fun), so I decided to see if I could beat my recent best time for 40km/25 miles, which was an hour 42 or so. My best-ever time dates back to the 1990s and I'm unlikely to get near one hour, eight minutes again but did manage 01:31:21. This means I should be able to get under 90 minutes, as I had two stops at traffic lights and one lengthy one at a junction, and I didn't turn myself inside out to achieve it. A bit less weight and more training and I'll then aim for an hour 25...

The poor weather meant the Bristol-Bath bike path was virtually empty and I did the return leg with a westerly tailwind that allowed me to ride at around 32kph/20mph, making up for the headwind going out.

When I used to do 10 mile time trials in the 90s I would aim to ride at a heart rate of around 178 – my maximum was then 199, my resting rate below 50 when I was at my fittest. I deliberately haven't worn a heart rate monitor for years but may start again soon. Really serious riders use power meters, and I may go down that route too – but not yet!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Feeling chuffed today. Went out on the bike this morning with the intention of riding local hills but pouring rain made me change my plans (descending in driving rain in traffic is no fun), so I decided to see if I could beat my recent best time for 40km/25 miles, which was an hour 42 or so. My best-ever time dates back to the 1990s and I'm unlikely to get near one hour, eight minutes again but did manage 01:31:21. This means I should be able to get under 90 minutes, as I had two stops at traffic lights and one lengthy one at a junction, and I didn't turn myself inside out to achieve it. A bit less weight and more training and I'll then aim for an hour 25...

The poor weather meant the Bristol-Bath bike path was virtually empty and I did the return leg with a westerly tailwind that allowed me to ride at around 32kph/20mph, making up for the headwind going out.

When I used to do 10 mile time trials in the 90s I would aim to ride at a heart rate of around 178 – my maximum was then 199, my resting rate below 50 when I was at my fittest. I deliberately haven't worn a heart rate monitor for years but may start again soon. Really serious riders use power meters, and I may go down that route too – but not yet!
What's a power meter? I bet Techy would like one. Is it like a Bullworker?