The Unwhinge Thread

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
When my clothes are tatty I prefer to repair rather than bin'em. This works sensationally well with sweatshirts where the cuffing has worn out. I did up my favourite Slazenger fleece hoody last year - new cuffing and waistband, new cord - and it's as good as new.

So of course my 'house'/gardening/crafting clobber gets the same treatment. I now have a couple of really shamefully scruffy and paint-spattered tops with smart new cuffing. All my sleeves are usually pulled up so it's nice when the cuffing works and they stay put.

Re-cuffed one this morning, a 25 year-old holey, Pollockesque grey cotton pub jumper. It's good for another 25 years. They can bury me in it.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Thats wonderful, I hate to chuck stuff out. I wear my clothing until its tatty and then tear up for rags to give to my garage. Saves them buying that blue paper.

Its sad when you see so much good stuff chucked.

Unless of corse it fits you

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Miss Yith had us laughing in the car today. She wanted me to play 'that song I like.'

Which song?
The one I like!
What's it about?
A smiling man and... something about trucks.
???

We got it by process of elimination, but you're telepathic if you can work out what it was from those clues.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Got Techy GOOD today.

He has a long zip down each side of his cycling jacket. I suggested he zip them up and he did both at once.

I said 'Do that again' and he put his hands to his armpits and I said 'Ooh ooh ooh!'

He wasn't amused but I was, hugely.

Attachments

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
So Techy decided to pop out for another ride and announced that he'd be putting on his cycling shorts under the thermal leggings he had on.
I said 'Like Mr Bean?' and made myself laugh again.

He went off and reappeared in his one-piece bib thingy, at which I did a quick Marcel Marceau impression.

I may have calmed down by the time he gets back.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
his one-piece bib thingy
I am having problems imagining this, especially at the same time as lycra shorts and thermal leggings...

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
No no no! that's fine! I have a BiL that's a MAMIL and that's quite enough!

It was the simultaneous wearing that foxed me.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
No no no! that's fine! I have a BiL that's a MAMIL and that's quite enough!

It was the simultaneous wearing that foxed me.
Did the MAMIL BiL once put his bike to bed in a caravan after a long ride?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I fixed our gas boiler this morning. Proud doesn't TOUCH it.
(Not to say relieved.)

Scargy's Epic Quest for Hot Water -

Took a shower this morning and soon afterwards noticed how quiet the boiler was*. The water pressure had abruptly dropped and the boiler had cut out.
Tried a restart, no good, so I sighed and rang t'gas board.

We have a maintenance plan so they'd send an engineer out if necessary.
Instead, the genius who is Louise talked me through the extraordinarily complex and dangerous process of topping up the water pressure and restarting correctly**, and it worked!

This is so great because we've had the odd boiler failure and it's always when we need it to work most.

* Yes, the boiler must have exploded under the strain of trying get me clean, yes, very droll.
** Looking at a dial, twiddling two taps, pressing a button, re-twiddling the taps.

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Got the tracking number for my knives. So I can obsessively stalk the delivery driver now

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
l now own a Tiger. Tank, that is. Not a real one, more’s the pity, but one of these:

Pic pinched off the Interclown

A mate of mine had one, then says he was “given another”, so passed the surplus on to me. Whoopee!

l shall be invading Belgium shortly. (Yes, l know that that’s anachronistic: lighten up...).

maximus otter

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I fixed our gas boiler this morning. Proud doesn't TOUCH it.
(Not to say relieved.)

Scargy's Epic Quest for Hot Water -

Took a shower this morning and soon afterwards noticed how quiet the boiler was*. The water pressure had abruptly dropped and the boiler had cut out.
Tried a restart, no good, so I sighed and rang t'gas board.

We have a maintenance plan so they'd send an engineer out if necessary.
Instead, the genius who is Louise talked me through the extraordinarily complex and dangerous process of topping up the water pressure and restarting correctly**, and it worked!

This is so great because we've had the odd boiler failure and it's always when we need it to work most.

* Yes, the boiler must have exploded under the strain of trying get me clean, yes, very droll.
** Looking at a dial, twiddling two taps, pressing a button, re-twiddling the taps.
Years ago when my boiler stopped working I called a local plumber/boiler man and he said he could come and sort it out and charge me, but he could talk me through twiddling the taps to top up the pressure, which I did. It worked. And, of course, when I did need a plumber I used his services.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Years ago when my boiler stopped working I called a local plumber/boiler man and he said he could come and sort it out and charge me, but he could talk me through twiddling the taps to top up the pressure, which I did. It worked. And, of course, when I did need a plumber I used his services.
I've had that too, when a plumber didn't want to come out late on a Friday. This was about my radiators. He told me how to bleed them. I kept his number too!

A few years ago when Escet was living in Brussels I popped over and we had a nice weekend together. He mentioned that his bedroom was always cold even with the long radiator. I jumped up saying 'Aha! We need to bleed it!' and went to look at it.

Yup, it was full of air, and it only needed a screwdriver to bleed it. Not even a key.

I told Escet how to bleed it and we had a happy time listening to the whoosh and catching the rusty water in an old towel.

This was Escet, my son, that's Dr Escet, particle physicist, top Higgs Boson particle analyst, who didn't know air and water don't mix...

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
* Looking at a dial, twiddling two taps, pressing a button, re-twiddling the taps.
plumber/boiler man and he said he could come and sort it out and charge me, but he could talk me through twiddling the taps
What did I miss? Is there a twiddling thread? I've done some twiddling in my time.:cool2:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Wrote down what I did:

If the boiler stops with error 28 -

Try a restart. Look at the four buttons together and press the top left one, with a crossed-out flame, for 30 seconds. Try this several times.

If this does not work, look at the pressure dial on the bottom right of the boiler.

If it shows below 1, go to next step.

Look under the boiler on the right for 2 black taps. Turn them both slowly downward, first the right one then the left. They will end up vertical.

Press the Ignition button. The boiler should start up normally. Look at the pressure. If it has gone up to about 1 and a half it is normal.

Turn the taps back to their original position. Try the hot water to test it’s working.

If this doesn’t work it’s engineer time.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It's 8.20am and I heard a rattle at the door.
When I opened it I thought perhaps the postman with the book I'm awaiting but no, the August edition of Fortean times.
I have never had that happen before, usually it just gets thrown in the drive with the newspaper, so it was a nice surprise.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
It's 8.20am and I heard a rattle at the door.
When I opened it I thought perhaps the postman with the book I'm awaiting but no, the August edition of Fortean times.
I have never had that happen before, usually it just gets thrown in the drive with the newspaper, so it was a nice surprise.
I'm still waiting for my August edition. They've sent me a replacement as my September issue just arrived a week ago.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I think maybe it had been delivered to the wrong address in it's plastic covering which was no longer on as there were tears at the bottom after I took it out of the bag.
I missed an issue a couple of months ago but with the lockdowns it's never sure when or if one will get delivered.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Techy sent off for a posh NutriBullet blender for me, probably after hearing me whinge about how lumpy the old one left the smoothies.

Aren't they great! Whizzed up all the fruit I could find, including pomegranate seeds, and it was so well-processed I could drink it with my sadly-neglected smoothie straw.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've got a NutriBullet, it's brilliant!

May I recommend banana, avocado and almond milk smoothie :p
:D Thank you, I'll try that!

I love smoothies. I stick seeds and protein powder an' all sorts in them. Hadn't thought of using nut milks.

My last smoothie maker has those beakers that you can carry it all away in and is very good but still left lumps.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
A friend gave me a nice teeshirt, blue, decorated with a surfing slogan and a drawing of VW van. Someone'd given it to him first but he didn't like it, though it's obviously new, so it seemed strange.

Anyway... I wore it yesterday and noticed that it had one of those huge patch-labels inside. The top corners of it constantly scratched my back just below my neck.

Took me ten minutes to unpick it, leaving no trace, and it's now comfortable. Result!