The Unwhinge Thread

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
I love (certain) foods with burnt bits. Fortunately my cooking skills are entirely up for the challenge. My mum used to leave a few jam tarts in for a bit extra for me to get them nice and sticky.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I'm now down to 12 stone 6 lbs, having lost 29 lbs in weight since 1st July!

Height 6', BMI 23.6

My goal now is to get a couple of pounds in hand for the carnage that will be Christmas...

:cheer:

maximus otter

Last edited:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm now down to 12 stone 6 lbs, having lost 29 lbs in weight since ist July!

Height 6', BMI 23.6

My goal now is to get a couple of pounds in hand for the carnage that will be Christmas...

:cheer:

maximus otter
My plan is the same – get those few pounds out of the way as I'm sure they'll magically reappear at the end of the year. And I've no idea why...

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm half way through ten days off. My wife is at work and its rather cold and raining here. So I have been sat reading with endless cups of tea whilst Dolly sits, goggling out of the window whilst getting the heat from the radiator (it's apparently really exciting when someone walks past the house):

Dolly sette Dec Hol internet.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I'm half way through ten days off. My wife is at work and its rather cold and raining here. So I have been sat reading with endless cups of tea whilst Dolly sits, goggling out of the window whilst getting the heat from the radiator (it's apparently really exciting when someone walks past the house):

View attachment 32236
When I had a regular city driving job I spotted hundreds of JRTs perched on the backs of sofas earnestly supervising the streets. Colleagues assured me that this situation was enforceable by law.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Was complaining to my gardener/ handyman that my shower had developed a leak and I would have to call a plumber.
He said that he was qualified to change washers so he went to Bunnings and got some washers.
Joy! no more drips. He was happy because it had started to rain and wouldn't have been able to garden. He'd lost 2 jobs the day before because of rain.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
After pointing out last night that it was illegal for me to travel to Aviemore for my birthday, the young lad I work with decided to give me my birthday present early. I am well chuffed.
FB_IMG_1607415968028.jpg
FB_IMG_1607415974142.jpg

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Had a phone consultation with my doc this morning and she wanted to see my knee, so I drove to the virtually empty surgery. She had a comprehensive look at my knee and reckons that what I thought was the return of arthritis after 11 years free of symptoms is probably a knee sprain.

The symptoms mimic my arthritis entirely but the swelling had started to go down a day or two ago and the discomfort has been easing. I'm going to rest it until the new year, but the doc has no qualms with me carrying on playing football and cycling. As I'm nearly 58 I thought she might say it's time to give up the football but no, so that's a major relief.

Having played sport my whole life I can't believe, among the pulls, tweaks, bumps, bruises and breaks that I haven't actually sprained a knee before. Seems virtually inconceivable to me!

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Had a phone consultation with my doc this morning and she wanted to see my knee, so I drove to the virtually empty surgery. She had a comprehensive look at my knee and reckons that what I thought was the return of arthritis after 11 years free of symptoms is probably a knee sprain.

The symptoms mimic my arthritis entirely but the swelling had started to go down a day or two ago and the discomfort has been easing. I'm going to rest it until the new year, but the doc has no qualms with me carrying on playing football and cycling. As I'm nearly 58 I thought she might say it's time to give up the football but no, so that's a major relief.

Having played sport my whole life I can't believe, among the pulls, tweaks, bumps, bruises and breaks that I haven't actually sprained a knee before. Seems virtually inconceivable to me!
Wonderful news. Rest and relax.:) Hope all is feeling better soon.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

A sprain can be painful and immobilising, as you've found. They can feel like a fracture. Luckily they generally heal with no after-effects.

Well done that knee! :)

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A sprain can be painful and immobilising, as you've found. They can feel like a fracture. Luckily they generally heal with no after-effects.

Well done that knee! :)
The worst leg injury I ever had, in about 1990, was a twisted ankle/sprain/soft tissue damage. I had a bruise from my big toe all the way to the back of my knee, the bruise colour forming a spike narrowing as it went up my calf muscle. Most impressive, though I was on crutches for about three weeks. Bloody football, stupid game!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The worst leg injury I ever had, in about 1990, was a twisted ankle/sprain/soft tissue damage. I had a bruise from my big toe all the way to the back of my knee, the bruise colour forming a spike narrowing as it went up my calf muscle. Most impressive, though I was on crutches for about three weeks. Bloody football, stupid game!
Had a spate of tripping over (not always drunk-related!) and doing an ankle in over a few years. The belief at the time was that one the ligaments were torn they'd keep stretching and you'd do it again until they were healed properly.

One treatment I had was a bandage soaked in dark grey sticky stuff like treacle. Weird.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've just had an email from this very forum congratulating me on my 15th anniversary (crystal, apparently, if it was a wedding) of whiling away far too much of my time here when I could be doing something more useful. That said, this place has sometime been one of the few places that has kept me sane, or at least something resembling sane in these troubling times. Many thanks, fellow Forteana fans, and here's to my next 15 years, which will take me to pearl...

And especial thanks to the people involved in the changeover of the Forum's ownership a while back. I don't know what I'd do without this Forum (apart from hit more of my deadlines on time, but deadlines are made to be broken!).

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
I've just had an email from this very forum congratulating me on my 15th anniversary (crystal, apparently, if it was a wedding) of whiling away far too much of my time here when I could be doing something more useful. That said, this place has sometime been one of the few places that has kept me sane, or at least something resembling sane in these troubling times. Many thanks, fellow Forteana fans, and here's to my next 15 years, which will take me to pearl...

And especial thanks to the people involved in the changeover of the Forum's ownership a while back. I don't know what I'd do without this Forum (apart from hit more of my deadlines on time, but deadlines are made to be broken!).
Apparently for the 30th anniversary you get some sort of necklace.

Time here is useful, it feeds your interests and in a lot of cases it takes you away from some of the harsh realities of some aspects of life, giving you a chance to chill and recharge your batteries.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Last day at Work and I was allowed to slope off after lunch - except that I was waiting for Hermes to deliver an Xmas present.
Found out from tracking that Hermes had tried to deliver at 5:30 pm on Wednesday, but building was shut. So Hermes waited 24 hours and tried delivery at the same time again on Thursday. Today was the third and final attempt, sometime between 4 and 6 pm. I tried contacting Hermes online to explain opening times but got a very unhelpful virtual assistant, tried to phone a human but got put through to the virtual assistant. Last times I had deliveries posted to my home address, I was at Work, so Hermes came back the next day during working hours and then again same time next day - before returning to sender.
The unwhinge ? I got a bottle of pink grapefruit gin for some-one I would have missed if I'd gone home. I don't like grapefruit or gin but I very much like the girl I got it from (we'll try it in the new year). I also picked up four three two cans of Pimm's and lemonade from some-one else. My parcel arrived soon after 5 and so home only 45 mins later than usual. One can of Pimm's.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Desolation is all I see
Reaction score
I applied for my replacement Blue Badge a few weeks ago, this was the first time using the new "completely online" service which meant I didn't have to send anything in the post or get photographs / documents 'certified' or anything.

I was a bit wary as to whether my application would be successful this time (even though it has been the last two times since I started using a badge). Because, whoever had programmed the online application form had decided that 100 characters was more than enough to enter one's answers to many of the questions. (Pro tip: when you're trying to explain how a disability affects you, you need a tad more space than that). Also there wasn't an 'any further comments' box at the end which would have been nice because there were things I wanted to say, which I had stated in my prior applications, that there just wasn't the opportunity to say this time.

So as I said, I was feeling a bit glum about it because I was fretting that I hadn't been able to fully get my point across. But, checking emails reveals that my application has been successful :hapdan: So we just have to pay them the princely sum of £20 and hopefully soon, post deliveries permitting, the badge will be in my possession ready for when the current one runs out.

It would be nice if I didn't have to keep doing this every 3 years (my disability isn't going to go away or get better!) but I can't complain really.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
It would be nice if I didn't have to keep doing this every 3 years (my disability isn't going to go away or get better!) but I can't complain really.
The Council was obliged to periodically ask my father if his condition had improved.
'Nope, leg still not grown back.'

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I applied for my replacement Blue Badge a few weeks ago, this was the first time using the new "completely online" service which meant I didn't have to send anything in the post or get photographs / documents 'certified' or anything.

I was a bit wary as to whether my application would be successful this time (even though it has been the last two times since I started using a badge). Because, whoever had programmed the online application form had decided that 100 characters was more than enough to enter one's answers to many of the questions. (Pro tip: when you're trying to explain how a disability affects you, you need a tad more space than that). Also there wasn't an 'any further comments' box at the end which would have been nice because there were things I wanted to say, which I had stated in my prior applications, that there just wasn't the opportunity to say this time.

So as I said, I was feeling a bit glum about it because I was fretting that I hadn't been able to fully get my point across. But, checking emails reveals that my application has been successful :hapdan: So we just have to pay them the princely sum of £20 and hopefully soon, post deliveries permitting, the badge will be in my possession ready for when the current one runs out.

It's a horribly and unnecessarily complicated process, especially if you're just renewing when, the chances are, like you, your health conditions will be much the same or worse than before. I recently filled in my father's form - he's 86 with numerous ongoing health issues that would take an essay to cover (numerous heart issues, balance and blood pressure issues, arthritis, etc, etc, you get the picture) - but we still had to fill in reams of pointless questions. He doesn't drive any more (thank God!) but we do drive him and having the Blue Badge is a godsend.

My big worry was that the photo would be turned down as it didn't have a totally plain background. And like you, I was concerned that once the form had disappeared into the ether, we'd never hear anything again. And also like you, it was a great relief when the email came back and even the photo was okay. We were clearly lucky, however, as it was only a tenner to renew it around here!