The Unwhinge Thread

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
A bit of heartwarming news.

"Badger was one of four six-week-old cocker spaniels discovered abandoned in a garden in Redhill, Surrey, in July 2019.

The pups were almost bald due to severe mange, had chronic eye and ear infections, and were extremely malnourished and underweight.

They were subsequently taken in by the RSPCA's Millbrook Animal Centre.

Jo Douglas, from the centre, said: "The puppies were in a real state. They needed four different types of eye drops and two ear drops which had to be administered four times a day, plus medicated baths for their skin."

After weeks of treatment the puppies - who were initially named after Stranger Things characters, El, Lucas, Mike and Dustin (now renamed Badger) - were rehomed.

All of them thrived in their new loving homes, except for [Badger], who proved too much to handle and was returned to the centre.

Jo said: "[Badger] was always on the go and needed constant stimulation and, sadly, he was just too much for his new owners.

We kept him busy by hiding tennis balls around the centre and playing scent games with him. He loved it and was really good at following his nose so we contacted the police to see if they'd be interested in taking him on as a new recruit."

Badger is now excelling as a police dog. Credit: Sussex Police

Dustin subsequently joined the Surrey and Sussex Police Dog Unit's training programme and qualified as a sniffer dog six months ago.

He was paired with PC Steph Barrett, who renamed him Badger, and he now spends his days sniffing out drugs, weapons and cash.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/anima...-a-bucket-becomes-police-sniffer-dog-20201221

maximus otter

Last edited:

Schrodinger's Zebra

Desolation is all I see
Reaction score
A bit of heartwarming news.

"Badger was one of four six-week-old cocker spaniels discovered abandoned in a garden in Redhill, Surrey, in July 2019.

The pups were almost bald due to severe mange, had chronic eye and ear infections, and were extremely malnourished and underweight.

They were subsequently taken in by the RSPCA's Millbrook Animal Centre.

Jo Douglas, from the centre, said: "The puppies were in a real state. They needed four different types of eye drops and two ear drops which had to be administered four times a day, plus medicated baths for their skin."

After weeks of treatment the puppies - who were initially named after Stranger Things characters, El, Lucas, Mike and Dustin (now renamed Badger) - were rehomed.

All of them thrived in their new loving homes, except for [Badger], who proved too much to handle and was returned to the centre.

Jo said: "[Badger] was always on the go and needed constant stimulation and, sadly, he was just too much for his new owners.
We kept him busy by hiding tennis balls around the centre and playing scent games with him. He loved it and was really good at following his nose so we contacted the police to see if they'd be interested in taking him on as a new recruit."

Badger is now excelling as a police dog. Credit: Sussex Police

Dustin subsequently joined the Surrey and Sussex Police Dog Unit's training programme and qualified as a sniffer dog six months ago.
He was paired with PC Steph Barrett, who renamed him Badger, and he now spends his days sniffing out drugs, weapons and cash.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/anima...-a-bucket-becomes-police-sniffer-dog-20201221

maximus otter

Oh how lovely that things turned out well for the little puppies.

And I cannot express my anger at the :mad: who would do that to dogs/puppies in the first place.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
My unwhinge - went in to work today to find a small hamper (well, more of a swag bag) on my desk with a rather nice Waterman pen.
The boss has given us all a gift because we didn't get a Christmas party!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Dropped through the letterbox today, by surprise - a copy of Red Dead Redemption 2 for PS4!
My youngest nephew sent it before Christmas. My favourite nephew! :)

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Today my tv decided to only remain on for about a minute at a time. Tried changing the batteries on the controllers, no better.
So I bought a new surge board and plug but still no good.
I rang my youngest to ask if it was worth ringing a repair person and she said she said she would come after work.
She fiddled around for awhile then managed to fix it and it made us so happy.
I insisted that she take some money to buy dinner on the way home as they live about 45 minutes away. She didn't want to take it but I said I would give it to her husband if she didn't.
Her little boy was already asking for chips as they left.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
The past month has been great in one respect: six of my old school friends and I have managed to keep in touch on a pretty much daily basis. We're scattered across three timezones, but we each drift in and out of an ongoing conversation.

Anyway, I was on the sofa after work today with a beverge and my laptop, tapping away, dimly aware of a conversation taking place in the kitchen between Miss Yith and her mother:

What's Daddy doing now?
Chatting on the computer?
Chatting to who?
School friends.
Which ones?
Oh, you know, the old-school bastards.
What??

Miss Yith has habit of reading everything (in this case the title one of the group has tagged us as), plus an ability to say words and phrases she doesn't understand very convincingly!

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
It don't know whether this is whinge or unwhinge but it's reached a point where my greatest pleasure in the day is watching the small dog eating his dinner laced with the medication I am trying to get down him. He may be old but his sense of smell and taste are in full operation and he is terribly difficult to deceive. And he is more stubborn than me. (he's gone four days before now without eating because of suspicion that he is being poisoned).

Winalot Meaty Chunks are the current food that is being used as a disguise.

Last edited:

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
@Cochise Big White Cat Canmore is like that. When we adopted him we were told that if we needed to get something down him then we should get a form that would dissolve in a small amount of cow milk. He's a total junkie for it and of course doesn't get it!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
After having worse and worse headaches because of eyestrain, I collected some new specs.

I wear varifocals but also have separate reading ones, a HUGE luxury. So one lot arrived and they're the readers. They'll do for now.

I can read or look at screens without the pain starting in minutes. Wonderful.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
During my general perusal of the internet thingie yesterday, for when we are finally released from lockdown, I discovered that the National Trust owns a place called....

Horsey Windpump.

In Norfolk, apparently. A place I have never visited. So I have made it a mission to go there in as near a future as can be managed. Because I am still laughing at the name. And they do rather good scones, apparently.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I remember as a child my grandmother told me she had a friend called Isobel Rhoda Horsey. Probably an untruth as she also told me about the maggot that was tempted out of someone's brain having them sniff a roast dinner.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I just got, all the way from New Zealand, a Blu-Ray of 'Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone'!
It's not on sale anywhere in the UK, so I had to buy an Australian version - which is the same region compatibility as the UK (region B).
It wasn't massively expensive, either.
Just tested it out on my PS4, just to check that the region encoding works (I've never bought a foreign import before).

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I remember as a child my grandmother told me she had a friend called Isobel Rhoda Horsey. Probably an untruth as she also told me about the maggot that was tempted out of someone's brain having them sniff a roast dinner.
Saw summat similar done in a fillum tonight. Hilariously gross! :chuckle:

Schrodinger's Zebra

Desolation is all I see
Reaction score
Re-discovering the joys of all things Def Leppard in recent days, Mr Zebra and I have been discussing a VHS video that we thought we used to have, that we haven't seen in years, that specifically had their "In The Round" concert from 1988 as well as some interviews with the band.

I just looked on Amazon to see if I could find it, and I did... but there is no need to order it because...

... a thorough search of our DVD cupboard in the living room, reveals that we already own the DVD :hapdan:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
This sounds very like something out of ’Sir Henry at Rawlinson End’ - Mrs E and the tapeworm story.
We have a thread on tapeworms!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
But do we have a tape on threadworms?
We may have threadworms on tape. Or we could if we made the effort.

If you suspect you have threadworms you can carefully place some sturdy tape across your bumhole when you go to bed.

If the little buggers are indeed present they will be detained when they pop out for a constitutional.
et voila! Threadworms on tape.

Nemo

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
We may have threadworms on tape. Or we could if we made the effort.

If you suspect you have threadworms you can carefully place some sturdy tape across your bumhole when you go to bed.

If the little buggers are indeed present they will be detained when they pop out for a constitutional.
et voila! Threadworms on tape.
I've heard tha Gaffer Tape works even better.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I've just got off a two-hour presentation for a school Mrs Yith and I are considering, and the second half was translated in real time from English to Korean by an interpreter. Unfortunately, the subtitles had been set only to detect English, so the software manfully struggled to render Korean as English, coming out with such gems as:

We're well on this MEGABURGER in ways that we cannot describe to you.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Scientists discovered 20 new species of plants and animals in 2020. No, no they didn’t. Biodiversity is huge and the number of named and described species is small so actually new species are being discovered all the time. In 2020 the Natural History Museum described over 500 new species just themselves, in the tropics one in seven fungi encountered are new species and 50% of the frog species are new to science.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That may be bot fly larve that can burrow beneath the scalp and can be lured out by strapping bacon over the entrance hole in your scalp (apparently)