The Unwhinge Thread

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Was having a drink with dad and he had a bottle of single malt he asked me to look up online, it was given to him as a present and he thinks it was from my uncle (who is a bit of a twat), the consensus was it was probably a regift as it wasnt a well known brand (he is very shallow) this is what i found

Screenshot_20210227-001034.png

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
The depicted bottle is a defunct 1970s blended scotch, named in memory of a distillery, which closed in 1926.

One 1970s bottle seems to have fetched £90 in an auction - presumably driven by nostalgic whisky-buffs, who wanted a bottle with that name.

You say it was a single malt . . .

If your dad did knock back a bottle of the original Glenside, it might have been worth a fortune! :boozing:

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The depicted bottle is a defunct 1970s blended scotch, named in memory of a distillery, which closed in 1926.

One 1970s bottle seems to have fetched £90 in an auction - presumably driven by nostalgic whisky-buffs, who wanted a bottle with that name.

If your dad did knock back a bottle of the original Glenside, it might have been worth a fortune! :boozing:
He only had a wee dram or 2 plenty left lol

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Just checked with him, it a blend :( but still not the cheap ass bottle my uncle thought he was fobbing off on my dad lol
Screenshot_20210227-023301.png

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
This was going into the “Whinge” thread originally, but after two lengthy periods of listening to lift-grade Hold music totalling 40 minutes (!), l finally managed to speak to a human being at the Department of Work and Pensions about my pension forecast.

The good news is that l can boost my weekly pension income considerably by sending the idle, rapacious Traffic Wardens’ catamites DWP a lump sum for each of several years during which - being retired - l haven’t surrendered enough of my lifeblood made adequate contributions.

lf l pay a little under £800 per year for each of the last few years, l can increase my weekly pension by £5 per week per each £800/year.

Short version: for a one-off lump sum of just over £3,900, l can increase my take-home pension by £1,300 per annum, until the unthinkable happens, and the radiance that is me no longer illuminates this dark world.

A potential maximum boost from £135 to £175 per week sounds pretty flippin’ good to me, esp. as l start collecting in only a few months’ time!

£700 per month for whisky and ammo!

maximus otter

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
After two and a half years of master's degree-level study on top of my day job, today I received confirmation that I have passed the final module of my diploma and am, as a result, fully Delta-qualified.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I've finally got my CV vaccines booked! I was beginning to think they'd either forgotten about me or thought that I was a particularly elderly looking nineteen year old. But last night when I got home from work there was my letter! So I shall be spending Mothers' Day being jabbed.

Better than a bunch of daffs, anyway.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've finally got my CV vaccines booked! I was beginning to think they'd either forgotten about me or thought that I was a particularly elderly looking nineteen year old. But last night when I got home from work there was my letter! So I shall be spending Mothers' Day being jabbed.

Better than a bunch of daffs, anyway.
My jab is tomorrow. Am ABSURDLY excited. :badge:

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Its a grand experience, -you get to look smug in front of everyone who hasn't had theirs yet.

And ridiculous amounts of sympathy over petty side effects.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I haven't been anywhere apart from work and home (a couple of miles apart) since well before Christmas. Am working out what I should wear, and building in a possible shopping expedition, as the jabbing is taking place in a Tesco car park. I may have to be sedated beforehand because my anticipation is reaching problem levels...

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Anyone ever had an injection in their bum? I did once, what was that all about? I think it was for a dog bite.
Yep, once. I was a teenager. I had a Vesuvius-like pus-filled boil in the dead centre of my forehead.
Doctor told me I'd need an injection of antibiotics. Didn't tell me it needed to be in my bum.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Short sleeves, if it hadn't already occurred to you. Or long sleeves that are baggy enough to be easily rolled up all the way.

Anyone ever had an injection in their bum? I did once, what was that all about? I think it was for a dog bite.

*wavy lines*

Years ago I had some kind of vomiting virus. Couldn't stop chucking, really violently.

Went home to bed and the doctor came out and said 'OK, this is going round. I can give you an injection that'll stop it in no time.'

I said 'Yes please! Where do I have the jab?' and he discreetly indicated the posterior.

Time to spin over in bed, lower the kecks, assume the Bike Rack Position and brace myself.

After a few minutes I became conscious of a heavy silence and a light breeze...

The doctor had actually left the house and was rummaging in his car for the injection.

Strangely, although various family members may have passed my open bedroom door and glanced in, the matter was never spoken of.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
... Anyone ever had an injection in their bum? I did once, what was that all about? ...
In the Fifties and up through the mid-Sixties (i.e., my childhood) I received numerous hypodermic injections, and all of them were in the gluteal muscles (i.e., the butt). My early childhood (up to age 12) physician was an old country doctor who believed in needles for everything. To illustrate how common the butt-stabbing was ...

There were only two visits in all those years that I clearly remember. The first was the one and only time the doctor examined me and didn't give me an injection. The second was the time I was prescribed a new-fangled binary antibiotic shot, and I was shocked to see the nurse screw one fully-loaded syringe into the rear of another fully-loaded syringe so as to give me a double load via a single needle all at once. That one took a long time to inject ...

I was in my teens before I received the first intramuscular injection (a vaccine) in my upper arm.

Injecting things into thick muscular areas (the buttocks or upper arm) is considered to be a reasonably low-risk approach. The heavier muscle groups are dense tissues with a lot of blood vessels. This has the advantage of providing relatively reliable access to the bloodstream while providing a slower rate of introduction through the muscle tissues into the bloodstream than what occurs when sticking a needle directly into a vein.

Nonetheless, poking a needle into a major muscle mass still carries a modest risk of damaging a blood vessel or nerve. It does require some skill to do it right.

Who me

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Krepostnoi can you get me Chuck Norris autograph.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Today I was looking for two things, both of which I found. One was a big bunch of someone else's keys and t'other was my second mobile which had been hiding cannily under my bum on the sofa all week.