The Unwhinge Thread

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Last week a mobile mechanic was crushed under a car.
The one I use is about the same age and comes from the same area and I afraid it might be him as I couldn't find out the name.
Anyway I plucked up enough courage yesterday to ring him and was so relieved to hear him answer.
He's a lovely chap and said the latest squeak in the car is nothing to worry about ( I had to ask him something).He's been servicing my car for a long time and I always have his coffee ready.
He said he only heard about it at the weekend after I mentioned it to him.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I was on the phone talking to my wife this morning, while watching 'our' two deer in the garden – mum at the top eating grass; young'un chomping through a bush just outside the window when suddenly the youngster was really spooked. Our new visitor, a fox, had just jumped over from next door and mum was having none of it, chasing the fox all over the garden. Eventually the fox jumped onto the wooden fence and disappeared into the woods and grass beyond it.

About 30 seconds later the fox came back in and was chased around by the mum for another 20 seconds or so - it was like a Tom and Jerry cartoon! I can't imagine the fox is a threat to the fawn, who's nearly fully grown, but mum was having none of it. Go, girl!

It's like having your own wildlife show here sometimes. The deer have been visitors for a decade or so, and we even had to get fire brigade and RSPCA out years ago when the adult male got stuck in our gate – shoulders got through, hips didn't fit. So we had the gate cut apart and the deer ran off more or less unscathed.

The fox is a new visitor but that's five or six visits in the last month, that we've seen, presumably he/she's here more often than that.

(We don't live on a massive country estate – it's a semi-detached former council house but it does have a large garden that backs onto woods/farm/grass.)

Just keep an eagle eye out for Max.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
One of my NHS crowns has dropped out: Boo! (l only have crowns because the NHS operates at two speeds: Dead Slow or Stop, but that’s another story).

l was told that l could either have a denture (boo!) for the one incisor at £280, or an implant at - hold on to your hats - £3,200! o_O Well, l’m not that pretty, so l bunged a few f***s into the dentist and elected for the plate.

lt wouldn’t be ready until the end of June. FFS!

Well, l went in today to have the stump of the old crown ground down (not as much fun as it sounds...): Boo!

The dentist, however, surprised me by producing a technician, who proceeded to take a palate cast, then tell me that the plate and tooth will be ready for next Thursday! Yay!

So: despite lavishing care on my teeth over the decades (brushing, flossing, interdental brushes, mouthwash...), l’m still going to end up with a falsy, but at least l can go on holiday in a few weeks no longer looking like a background extra from Deliverance.

Anyway: two cheers for the NHS.

maximus otter

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
My Mac Mini is getting on a bit and browsers for it are no longer updated, making for some weird browsing experiences.

I was becoming resigned to the notion that some things would have to be accessed only on my much-more-recent tablet.

A solution, however, was available in a version of Firefox, modified to run on Mac 10.7.5.

I'm on it now. It may be honeymoon period but I can't see myself hurrying back to Chrome for any reason! :)

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
By careful watching of the weather forecast I managed to get out for a run, back, mowed the lawn and put in a few lavender plants that I bought earlier in the week before the rain really started to come down.

I could have put the mowing off a bit, but the grass was starting to look scruffy and I haven't got another day off until Friday, and the weather forecast isn't looking great then, either. But now it's done.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Why not use a muntjac fang tooth thing maximus you might start a new trend.
You would have to be careful eating anything mind!!

l’ve tried to get a fang out of a muntjac’s jaw (after our encounter, obvs...). lt was like trying to get a ha’penny out of a Scotsman’s sporran.

l’m that tight that you couldn’t drive a greased sewing needle up my hoop with a fourteen-pound hammer, but l’ll pay for NHS dentistry rather than try that again, ta.

maximus otter

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Persimmons have begun to appear in the supermarket, but as they are are $2 each I didn't buy any.
Tonight as I came home after collecting my daughter from the station my next door neighbour wished me a happy Mothers day and gave me a
bag full of enormous ones.
I'll have to ask my other daughters if they would like some.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Persimmons have begun to appear in the supermarket, but as they are are $2 each I didn't buy any.

How come? I thought the season for persimmons (mostly Israeli) was around Christmas?

I am on a pomegranate binge, eating one a day now. It's not only the good taste and the fibre, but I like the tactile adventure of eating it slowly by hand, extracting the seeds gradually. I know there are more efficient methods, but they are not so much fun. Afterwards the table looks like a slaughterhouse :)

I bought a package of medlars in the supermarket out of curiosity. They're virtually inedible. According to Wikipedia it's not the right season. I don't really know what to do with them, because none of the recipes seem inviting. But the seeds inside are beautiful.
mispel.jpg
Wikipedia: In the southwest of England it historically had a number of vulgar nicknames, such as open-arse and monkey's bottom, due to the appearance of its large calyx.[3]

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
How come? I thought the season for persimmons (mostly Israeli) was around Christmas?

I am on a pomegranate binge, eating one a day now. It's not only the good taste and the fibre, but I like the tactile adventure of eating it slowly by hand, extracting the seeds gradually. I know there are more efficient methods, but they are not so much fun. Afterwards the table looks like a slaughterhouse :)

I bought a package of medlars in the supermarket out of curiosity. They're virtually inedible. According to Wikipedia it's not the right season. I don't really know what to do with them, because none of the recipes seem inviting. But the seeds inside are beautiful.
View attachment 38915
Wikipedia: In the southwest of England it historically had a number of vulgar nicknames, such as open-arse and monkey's bottom, due to the appearance of its large calyx.[3]
Medlars are pretty inedible until they are over ripe and brown (bletted) the best thing is to mske medlar jam/jelly, here is a pretty simple recipe

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/recipes/medlar-jelly

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score

View attachment 38915
I don’t think those are medlars as we know them in the UK they look like loquats

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Yes, Medlars need to go brown and icky.

I dunno about loquats

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've been flogging stuff on eBay since January - as part of a desire to get rid of 'stuff' as much as to make money, though the money is appreciated (I can't afford to retire yet!). And being quite new I still get surprised by what sells and for how much.

I'm presently flogging off around a dozen or so really nice GWR/Chad Valley wooden jigsaw puzzles from the 1930s, some of which are rare, some less so, some complete, some missing pieces. One I put on for a tenner and I accepted £7; another that I put on for a tenner, I accepted a bid this morning of... £23.79! Random.

We also sold a wicker set of shelves for £50. We'd had loads of interest on Gumtree but everybody proved unreliable. This was the last throw of the dice before it went to a charity shop - it's in pretty much as-new condition, hence the fact somebody's paid 50 quid for it. But it's taking up space in our living room and we want it gone!

I've got more jigsaws going on sale this evening. One I'm putting on at £50. The only other one on eBay has been reduced from £229 to £206, which is probably taking the p***! My You Only Live Twice first edition is also going on sale along with two lovely Ray Bradbury limited editions. Fingers crossed.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
My Dad sent me a birthday cards a few days ago which was a big step for him because he's never ever done that before and I'm coming up to 50. It was always my Mum who did that .. in fact the last time I saw him, he drove up to my town, told me to give him a hug but said "Just one arm though so people don't think we're gay" .. now I think about it, I should have done a two arms hug anyway just for fun so that people might have thought we were gay just to annoy him .. and the card's gallows humour which sums him up but it means a lot to me that he sent the card .. he doesn't do things like that because he's a 'man's man' type of man .. the card depicts a man wearing a hazmat suit, kneeling down and looking at an envelope ..

.. the front of the Moonpig card reads:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY *********

NOW I KNOW YOU'RE NOT
ONE TO PANIC BUT I
DID LICK THE ENVELOPE.

(fucking dick head covid joke LOL) =) .... but it's a huuuuge leap for him to send a card to me so that's all I need .. I love him to bits .. but not in a gay way.

Last edited:

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I have two younger brothers. If I wear a hat I look like one and if I have a fringe I resemble the other.
I also have a lovely, longstanding, but somewhat tactless friend who, every time I post a picture of myself on Facebook (running achievement or books or something, I'm not in the habit of putting millions of 'selfies' up there) comments 'Gosh, you don't half look like your dad!'

Thank god I never had any vanity to start with...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I also have a lovely, longstanding, but somewhat tactless friend who, every time I post a picture of myself on Facebook (running achievement or books or something, I'm not in the habit of putting millions of 'selfies' up there) comments 'Gosh, you don't half look like your dad!'

Thank god I never had any vanity to start with...
After some particularly stressful family trouble some years ago I caught a glimpse of my eyes in the car rearview mirror, and noticed that they strongly resembled those of my mother and one of her brothers.

In other words I'd aged nearly 30 years. :(

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
My great-aunt died a few months back, not far short of 100, and with her possessions were a lot of things belonging to her mother, who also lived to an advanced age. My parents are still going through it all, but there are documents and photographs going back to before the Great War, and some of it is tantalising to me. I don't have all the details yet, but it seems that we have a connection to a once famous boxer--among other things.

Perhaps more importantly, my late grandfather's service medal for Malaya and the Canal Zone has incongruously resurfaced. This has great sentimental value to me. I had been told that it had been in the possession of my cousin, who died as a young man, but it looks as if it has lain in a box for a very long time, so I don't know what my aunt has been talking about.

My grandfather lost his mother in childhood and his father as a young man, and he seems to have entrusted his mother-in-law with a number of things when he married my grandmother and never recovered them. Perhaps it was all simply forgotten. It was a difficult time for them, as soon after their marriage, my grandmother was hospitalised with lung problems and told not to expect old age; she's still alive today!

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
My great-aunt died a few months back, not far short of 100, and with her possessions were a lot of things belonging to her mother, who also lived to an advanced age. My parents are still going through it all, but there are documents and photographs going back to before the Great War, and some of it is tantalising to me. I don't have all the details yet, but it seems that we have a connection to a once famous boxer--among other things.

Perhaps more importantly, my late grandfather's service medal for Malaya and the Canal Zone has incongruously resurfaced. This has great sentimental value to me. I had been told that it had been in the possession of my cousin, who died as a young man, but it looks as if it has lain in a box for a very long time, so I don't know what my aunt has been talking about.

My grandfather lost his mother in childhood and his father as a young man, and he seems to have entrusted his mother-in-law with a number of things when he married my grandmother and never recovered them. Perhaps it was all simply forgotten. It was a difficult time for them, as soon after their marriage, my grandmother was hospitalised with lung problems and told not to expect old age; she's still alive today!
Write on the backs of the pictures when you get them, who they are and how they are related (or connected) to you.

I wish I'd done this. When my aunt died I inherited a lot of her photograph albums, some had belonged to her late husband's father (who had had an..umm....interesting life) My mum told me who a few of the people were but I didn't write it down. Now my mum is gone and I've got lots of lovely pictures of the Great War, aeroplanes, and people, and absolutely no idea who most of them are. When my mum died my brother and I found a photograph that had been restored, rephotographed and enlarged of three people in a field. We had no idea who any of these people are, but they were clearly important enough to have their picture redone. My great aunt has just died (also just short of 100), so the last person who may have any idea has gone.

I really wish I'd written on those pictures...

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Write on the backs of the pictures when you get them, who they are and how they are related (or connected) to you.

I wish I'd done this. When my aunt died I inherited a lot of her photograph albums, some had belonged to her late husband's father (who had had an..umm....interesting life) My mum told me who a few of the people were but I didn't write it down. Now my mum is gone and I've got lots of lovely pictures of the Great War, aeroplanes, and people, and absolutely no idea who most of them are. When my mum died my brother and I found a photograph that had been restored, rephotographed and enlarged of three people in a field. We had no idea who any of these people are, but they were clearly important enough to have their picture redone. My great aunt has just died (also just short of 100), so the last person who may have any idea has gone.

I really wish I'd written on those pictures...
My Grandma who's now 101 did exactly that and more by building a family pictures album and writing down all the details she's been told. The first picture dates back to something like the 1870's ... astonishing stuff like a ship captain and a WW2 ancestor standing next to a Spitfire .. Victorian era women sat on a lawn .. all sorts of fascinating pictures, she gifted the album to my Dad but she left it in our outside BBQ without telling anyone just in case it started raining (in the middle of a hot summer?) .. luckily my best mate lifted the lid before I hit the gas ignite button. My Dad converted all of it onto a disc so I've got all of them.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
My relatives, both living and dead, speak little of the past, and so i dont know much family stories.

And Im face blind so a lot of the pictures are meaningless to me.

Im going to be the last, anyway.