The Unwhinge Thread

AnonyJ

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
Having-a-nice-cup-of-tea-and-a-sit-down-shire
It worked! All the weak links in the chain held, and we are now safely ensconced in Leeds. All five of us. It took a long, long time to check in in Ho Chi Minh City, such that they nearly closed the gate on us, but after that it all went smoothly. They didn't even check the cat's papers at Hull... A huge, huge thank you to the Dutch for making an exception for us.

Yesterday, the Vietnamese authorities banned all public transport in Ho Chi Minh City, including taxis. If we'd been planning to leave just two days later, we wouldn't have got away - we simply couldn't have made our way to the airport...:bdown:
I am very glad to hear you and your family made it across two continents OK! Welcome back to Blighty :)

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Is there anything more delightful in the world than when you quote a song lyric in conversation and someone you either a) don't know or b) don't have a high opinion of, quotes the next line of the song!!!

In work today, I said "everybody's talking about-" then stopped to sneeze, and someone I only vaguely know said "John and Yoko, Timmy Leary?"

I cannot describe the absolute joy that these moments bring me

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Commuting doesn't suck (yet)!

It's only been four days in my new place, yet I've got it down to precision timekeeping. The Seoul metro is both amazingly cheap and efficient, and I've had Art Bell, Charles Dickens, Motorhead, M.R. James, Tangerine Dream and Daphne Du Maurier as metaphorical company.

Despite the chaos of the new place (the former residents seem to have given up on cleaning and maintenance a good while back), I've been sleeping much better and putting in more productive days.

Perhaps this is a consequence of the stress of the move now receding in the wing-mirror as opposed to looming in the road ahead.

Ask me again in a few months...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Youngest had the result of her spot and it's not cancerous although she will have it removed. :D
We are all very relieved.
Fantastic news! :cool:

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
Youngest had the result of her spot and it's not cancerous although she will have it removed. :D
We are all very relieved.
Wonderful news, Iris! That must be a load off your mind.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Kondoru so glad it all turned out well, it's scary when a loved one isn't well and we are not sure how to fix it.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Sun going down over Anglesey tonight - really clear atmosphere, Holy Mountain and Parys Mountain standing out plain.

edit: Can't see this view from my house - was going down to the gas station which involves going over the ridge between my valley and the sea - the river does a left turn before it gets to the ridge.

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I saw a red tailed kite, a buzzard and a peregrine falcon all at once in the same patch of sky all at different heights yesterday above my back garden.

You're lucky! The only bird of prey I see round here are those occasional sparrowhawks. Mind you, I bet the sparrows are relieved.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
It's about a billion degrees here, so Miss Yith and I put the air-conditioning up high, got under a blanket and watched the first episode of the old BBC adaptation of The Box of Delights.

She was a bit frightened, but her curiosity overcame that.

Wait! Why did he have a fox's face in the tunnel??
They changed into wolves!
Get away--quick!
And then when we were walking outside this evening, she said that she was sure she heard someone cough like 'the old man' (Cole Hawlings).

Oh, to be that young again!

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
It's about a billion degrees here, so Miss Yith and I put the air-conditioning up high, got under a blanket and watched the first episode of the old BBC adaptation of The Box of Delights.

Get away--quick!
And then when we were walking outside this evening, she said that she was sure she heard someone cough like 'the old man' (Cole Hawlings).

This fills me with utter joy, as I remember watching The Box of Delights as a youngster when it first came out on the telly. I absolutely adored it!

A few years ago we donated a saxophone and a guitar, which had been sitting in the front room gathering dust, to the local private school where the Junior Medic and the Teenager used to go - they have a really good music department. Yesterday we received a charming letter from a young chap named Fred, thanking us for donating the sax as he had been using it for the past 4 years, even during the lockdown when the music group had to play outside in the cold. The In-House GP shrugged and said they probably do that for all such donations, but it cheered me up good and proper anyway!

Stillill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I saw a red tailed kite, a buzzard and a peregrine falcon all at once in the same patch of sky all at different heights yesterday above my back garden.
I occasionally see a red kite on my delivery that has no tail,it looks very odd. I’ll try and get a picture next time I see it.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
Thank you @Souleater

It has a very pleasing weight and is the perfect length and the bead on the bottom to allow the hanging is just peachy! :twothumbs:

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
A new customer! Woo-hooo. No, not just wooo-hooo - :D :clap::twothumbs::cynic::cheer::hapdan:

Trouble is it's so long since I had a brand new customer that, rather like sex, I've forgotten what its like! I'm off to the Troll's Head for a celebratory sherbert.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score

Get away--quick!

Yeah but the last couple of minutes of the last episode piss me off so much…

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
Trouble is it's so long since I had a brand new customer that, rather like sex, I've forgotten what its like! I'm off to the Troll's Head for a celebratory sherbert.

I was once told that it was like riding a bike. Never say that sort of thing to a literal thinker! :rollingw:

Last edited: