• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Van Allen Belts: Are They A Problem / Hazard?

I can't see the video, so can't comment on it.

But there are sprites etc as well.

Analogue Boy,

Back in the days of 35mm film I used to regularly take rolls of film through check-in.

Never had a problem.

After reading a warning on a pack of photographic film regarding airport xrays, tne thing that has always puzzled me about the moon landings is how are the pictures so clear and unfogged?

A quick go on the internet has this....

Photographic film goes darker when it absorbs radiation, just like it does when it absorbs visible light. The more radiation the film absorbs, the darker it is when it is developed. People who work with radiation wear film badges, which are checked regularly to monitor the levels of radiation absorbed.

There are numerous articles on the effect of radiation on film, what level of radiation would have affected film and what duration would be needed. It also seems the earlier probes were also photo booths and the images were processed and transmitted shortly after being taken.

https://space.stackexchange.com/que...11-to-film-and-take-pictures-with-such-radiat

That was something I'd always wondered about, too. So thanks for that link, it has a lot of interesting and useful information :)

Back