• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Vanishing Campbells (Trout Lake; Canada; 1956)

Leaferne

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This is possibly Fortean in itself--I remembered this story from my home town and Googled for it, and lo! There's a story in today's local paper.

The history of a mystery: disappearance of the Campbells

By Doug Mackey

People ask me where I get my ideas for the articles I write. There are several ways and today I will look at a mystery as example of one way. Basically what I do when the germ of an idea comes along is I set up a file and add things to the file until I feel I have enough interesting information to write my usual 1,000 words.

For example I know people are interested in mysteries like how Tom Thomson died in 1917. I recently noted a new Tom Thomson Murder Mystery Game in one of my columns. (see the current issue of Cottage Life Magazine). Well in November 2002 a man e-mailed me to tell me he had lived near Trout Lake and used to go to a convenience store across from the North Bay Jail in the 1950s, before he moved away.

The storekeepers were Mr. and Mrs. Campbell. He said, “The Campbells were great people. They were always cheerful and friendly and they treated kids on an equal footing with adults. We looked up to them as being the perfect grown-ups.”

He then went on to say that he had gone to school with the daughters of the Campbells and talked about the mysterious disappearance of the parents. He asked me “Has that mystery been solved yet, and would it be possible to have an article on their disappearance?”

I didn’t do anything about the story until last July when the television crew from the Creepy Canada series came to North Bay to do an item on the Campbells. The Nugget did a story about the visit reviewing some of the history. Last September author Richard Dominico formerly of North Bay published a novel called Beare Parts and came to North Bay on a book tour. The Nugget did a feature length article on Richard who had worked at the Nugget as a linotype operator when the Campbells disappeared. The article said that “at the time he had no idea the story would inspire him later in life.” In the novel Dominico has a character who went missing on Trout Lake reappearing in Toronto as a part of the book’s mystery.

Last November there was a story in the newspaper that Shirley and Harold Conrad of Trout Creek had been married for 50 years. One paragraph in the story stated that Shirley’s parents had disappeared on Trout Lake in 1956.

With all of this information in hand I asked my neighbour Bernadette Kerr if her mother Monica Kunkel in Powassan would have anything in her scrapbook collection on the Campbell disappearance.

She had several articles including one on the 32nd anniversary of the disappearance and one on the 35th anniversary.

The mystery

May 29, 1956 Allan Campbell (45) and his wife Margaret (44) took a day off from the operation of their convenience store and service station. They left their house on Lake Heights Road at the west end of Trout Lake and went to open their cottage on Centennial Crescent.

They took their pomeranian dog Trickie along. They left Joan, the youngest of their four daughters as she went off to school and said they would be home for supper. When 10-year-old Joan came home her parents were not there and by 10 p.m. she went to her neighbours. Early the next morning sister June age 17 who had been visiting a neighbour overnight borrowed a truck and drove to the cottage. The car was in the drive and the house was open. The wood stove had been started and a half-cooked meal was left.

Looking outside June could see the family boat and motor had been removed from the verandah. There was no sign of her parents. She returned to town and the police and the rest of the family were called. Shirley Conrad’s husband Harold and a friend searched the lake the next day expecting to find them on an island or elsewhere.

The police and the Department of Lands and Forests workers and others searched the shore. The police dragged the lake. The boat, which was “unsinkable” could not be found in spite of all of the help indicated plus 12 search aircraft. The Campbells, their dog and their boat were never found.

The police investigated for possible clues checking bank accounts, their safety deposit box, etc. In 1985 the Nugget received a letter saying the Campbells were murdered and several years later another letter pinpointed a location of the bodies. They were not there.

With the story in mind I called Shirley Conrad who, as the older sister has been a spokesperson.

In spite of the pain she generously talked about the experience almost 48 years ago and how the family would like it resolved. She doesn’t believe strongly in either the accidental or the foul play scenarios since both are possible.

She was not contacted by the people from Creepy Canada Television, but ran across the program accidentally when it was on last fall and was disappointed. She thinks about the mystery often as the rest of the family does, and hopes there will be some closure by the 50th anniversary May 29, 2006.

The case is still open at the OPP and action would be take immediately if anything new came forward. And now you know something of the Campbell Mystery, and one of the ways these columns evolve.

--------------------

Trout Lake and the areas mentioned are within a short bike ride of where I grew up. Here's the same link to pix of Trout Lake which I posted on the "Bottomless Pits" thread, which got me thinking of the Campbells.

Oh, and in another thread (possibly the "Weird Test in School" one?) I mentioned the SAGE--it's dug into the side of that big hill there.

Edited to add: perhaps I'm using the wrong search terms, but I don't see much mention of this on Google at all. It's quite a well-known story in the area. I should write a book about it, though I don't know if I could stand going back up there for so long.

SAGE?
Care to expand on that?

This thing.

"SAGE, the Semi Automated Ground Environment, was an automated control system for collecting, tracking and intercepting enemy bomber aircraft used by NORAD from the late 1950s into the 1980s. By the time it was fully operational the Soviet bomber threat had been replaced by the Soviet missile threat, for which SAGE was entirely inadequate."

I don't think it had anything to do with the Campbells, though. :) Has FT mag ever written about them? There's a good mystery to cover, and it seems to be little-known.

Am posting the whole thing b/c Osprey Media doesn't keep archives:

False tip leads to discovery; Investigators release video of Campbell wreckage

Maria Calabrese
Local News - Tuesday, October 24, 2006 @ 08:00

Dark thoughts of murder dissipate above the surface with the image of a missing husband and wife clinging to each other as they drowned in Trout Lake 50 years ago.

More details came to light about Friday's discovery of what is believed to be the remains of Allen Campbell, 45, and his wife, Margaret, 44, who went missing, along with their boat, from their Trout Lake cottage May 29, 1956.

"Both bodies were located close to the boat and close together, leaving it possible to believe that they were either clinging to the boat and/or each other," said Ontario Provincial Police Det.-Insp. Ken Leppert.

Margaret Campbell could not swim, he said.

"It's possible Mr. Campbell went to save her and they drowned together."

Depending on the condition of the remains, a post-mortem scheduled Wednesday in Toronto could determine the cause of death, and DNA might positively identify the Campbells.

Police said family members have agreed to give DNA samples to make a comparison.

OPP received a tip in June from someone outside the area claiming foul play was behind the disappearance. While the tip turned out to be false, the renewed investigation led police to find the bodies at the bottom of Trout Lake, 25 metres underwater and five metres from the waterlogged boat.

Clothing, footwear, a wallet and watch are among the personal items recovered by police who said family members have already identified the watch thought to have belonged to Margaret Campbell.

The couple, Leppert said, bought matching Bulova watches in honour of their 25th wedding anniversary.

"For the family not to know whatever became of their parents must be unimaginable," Leppert said.

"It's rewarding as a police officer to be able to give the family closure and resolution to what would otherwise be something that would have left them troubled indefinitely."

In an interview earlier this year leading up to the 50th anniversary of the disappearance, family members shared cold thoughts that the couple might have been murdered, and they wrestled with rumours of abandonment and murder-suicide.

To help cope with the loss, the family put up a tombstone in Cochrane about 20 years ago at a site where Margaret Campbell's stillborn child and three miscarriages are interred.

"It's ironic because the tip (in June) was false information, but it caused us to discover the truth about what happened," Leppert said. "Both parents have been together in a watery tomb at the bottom of Trout Lake all these years, undisturbed and at peace."

Police said the discovery is consistent with witness accounts in 1956 of the couple seen travelling east in the family boat. They're also believed to have had a puppy with them, but the pet has never been found.

OPP released footage of the wreckage videotaped Friday by its underwater search and recovery unit. The fibreglass and wood boat was covered by at least 30 centimetres of silt, but it matched descriptions of the Campbell vessel.

Police had not yet determined Monday whether to lift the boat and motor, Leppert said, explaining the vessel broke apart during an attempt to raise it on the weekend.

The video shows a five-horsepower Elto motor, in what appears to be pristine condition, still clamped to the stern. The cap on the tank has been removed, leading police to speculate the Campbells ran out of fuel.

The boat was found in an open area of Trout Lake exposed to blowing winds that could whip up waves. It has a shallow gunnel and would tip easily, and Allen Campbell may have tipped the boat while trying to fill the tank, Leppert said.

No lifejackets or other debris were found near the wreckage.

Trout Lake has 1,700 hectares of surface area and reaches 68 metres at its deepest. The OPP dive team used a side-scan sonar to sweep an area near Rolph Island and picked up an image of the boat. On the chilly 6 C day, divers then searched the marked area and found the remains.

Police said summer is busy for the dive team with anglers and swimmers going missing, and active cases take priority over older investigations to decide where the sonar should be used.

The sonar can search almost 40 metres on either side, and the boat was found nearly at the periphery of this range, Leppert said.

Leppert is with the OPP criminal investigation branch in North Bay, and the Campbell case ended up on his lap because the tip suggested foul play.

He reassigned staff to pursue the lead including Det.-Const. Joe DeCook of the North Bay crime unit whose investigation over the summer led to the search plan on Trout Lake.

"As a case manager, I appreciate the efforts of Det.-Const. DeCook and his thorough review of the file to develop a search plan, and the efforts of the dive team," Leppert said.

The tip likely came as a result of renewed media interest in May marking the 50th anniversary of the Campbell disappearance, said OPP Det.-Sgt. Joe Strba.

But while police prepare to close the file on one case, there are others awaiting new leads to follow.

After an intensive search by OPP and volunteers, police are no longer actively searching for Eli Horowitz, 30, who went missing on Lake Nipissing Aug. 21. There is no new information since a sighting a month ago by a boater who claimed to see a partially submerged body off Lonely Island.

Link

There are still a lot of unanswered questions, like why did they leave in the middle of cooking a meal, who sent the bogus tips and cryptic notes over a period of 20 years, and what led the cops to search that particular area of the lake?

(Although TBH the 'unfinished meal' detail is such a staple of mysterious disappearance stories, I wonder if it might have been added later.)

Since the bodies have been found, I guess the theory that they were eaten by a lake monster can be ruled out!

This case has been recounted in a number of locally published books about 'Weird Ontario', but it seems to be almost unknown outside the province. Why don't you submit an article to FT, Leaferne? It really is a 'good' mystery, and deserves to be better known.

naitaka said:
Why don't you submit an article to FT, Leaferne? It really is a 'good' mystery, and deserves to be better known.

Hear hear.

naitaka said:
(Although TBH the 'unfinished meal' detail is such a staple of mysterious disappearance stories, I wonder if it might have been added later.)

Perhaps it could it have been staged, either by the police or an unknown 3rd party with the intentions of conceiling a conspiracy (although i find this very unlikely...and impractical), or by the couple themselves as a way of covering their tracks, and making their disappearance more myserious, when they simply moved somewhere far away but didnt want to be found... :D

Just a note to say along the same lines as semyaz to say that 'leaving food cooking on the stove' or in the state of mid-preparation is such a trope of unexplained disappearance that it might well have been deliberate.

Surely nobody would start making dinner and then vanish never to be seen again? There must have been an external force or factor.

Perhaps this is precisely what the absconding individuals wanted people to think.

Just a note to say along the same lines as semyaz to say that 'leaving food cooking on the stove' or in the state of mid-preparation is such a trope of unexplained disappearance that it might well have been deliberate.

Surely nobody would start making dinner and then vanish never to be seen again? There must have been an external force or factor.

Perhaps this is precisely what the absconding individuals wanted people to think.
Yeah, if I deliberately wanted to go missing, I'd open a tin of beans and put it in a saucepan. Then walk out the door.

Yeah, if I deliberately wanted to go missing, I'd open a tin of beans and put it in a saucepan. Then walk out the door.

I'd leave a mug of coffee and an opened packet of chocolate biscuits on the table and then scarper.

Just for the record, and to close the loose ends in the info presented earlier ...

This 2007 article:

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/opp-statement-on-identification-of-trout-lake-remains-107362

... announces the police findings from the 2006 discovery of the boat and 2 sets of human remains.

The remains were positively identified as Allan and Margaret Campbell.

Jan 15, 2007 7:52 PM by: SooToday.com Staff
OPP identify human remains of two people who went missing 50 years ago
NORTH BAY, ON, January 15 - At a news conference today, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) announced the identity of two people whose remains they found in Trout Lake just east of North Bay in October (2006), both of whom went missing from their Trout Lake cottage 50 years ago. The remains have been identified as those of Allan and Margaret Campbell, a North Bay couple who had been missing since May 29, 1956. The OPP located the remains on October 20, 2006 at the bottom of Trout Lake near Rolph Island, approximately 15 feet away from their boat, which was submerged in approximately 85 feet of water. ...

... [W]ith depths of over 200 feet in some areas of Trout Lake, it wasn't until the OPP were able to utilize side scanning sonar technology in October, that they were able to locate the Campbells' remains and their boat. ...

... Since the recovery of the Campbells' remains last October, the OPP's investigation has revealed that there is no evidence of foul play, and that all evidence supports the belief that this boating incident resulted in the accidental drowning of Allan and Margaret Campbell on May 29, 1956.

Back