The Vegetarian Thread

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
My question is what are the cats and dogs going to eat, if we give up livestock faming?

NumberNine

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
My question is what are the cats and dogs going to eat, if we give up livestock faming?
It's a good question and one that pricks my conscience on a daily basis while I feed my animals. I can't answer the question but for me personally as a veggie for 30 years it eases my conscience somewhat that neither I nor my animals have bred. Chessboard & rice, that's potentially countless thousands of mouths that will never need to be fed in the future because they were prevented from having life inflicted on them. At the end of the day there's no avoiding the fact that this is never going to be an ideal planet no matter how far back you bend, life is dependent on things suffering and dying, even plants, who may or may not be aware and feel pain, would struggle to exist sooner or later if there was no dead matter rotting into the soil to provide nutrients. Ultimately after I've served my time here I'm determined never to reincarnate on this saccharin-coated Hell planet ever again. It's the only solution that sits well with me.

Last edited:

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
What is in a lot of their food already - flavored textured soy. Although even if meat farming decreases significantly, the parts of the animal that end up in commercial animal feed will still be available.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
So you mean the ones on a natural diet will go hungry?

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Let them eat mice. Expect for the better off it will remain kangeroo and dolphins.

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
Aren’t we all going to be eating factory-created ‘meat’ soon anyway? Whether we know it or not?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Aren’t we all going to be eating factory-created ‘meat’ soon anyway? Whether we know it or not?
It won't be long, I think. Give it about 5 years.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
The Welsh 'Leek' (national flower) is actually more like a hollow spring onion than cultivated Leeks in the shops - it can be either Allium ampeloprasum (wild leek) which over the years has been bred by humans into spring onions, 'elephant' garlic, silverskin pearl onions and leeks or Allium fistulosum (Welsh hollow onion).