• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
My question is what are the cats and dogs going to eat, if we give up livestock faming?
What is in a lot of their food already - flavored textured soy. Although even if meat farming decreases significantly, the parts of the animal that end up in commercial animal feed will still be available.

Aren’t we all going to be eating factory-created ‘meat’ soon anyway? Whether we know it or not?

The Welsh 'Leek' (national flower) is actually more like a hollow spring onion than cultivated Leeks in the shops - it can be either Allium ampeloprasum (wild leek) which over the years has been bred by humans into spring onions, 'elephant' garlic, silverskin pearl onions and leeks or Allium fistulosum (Welsh hollow onion).

When cheeseburgers are too tempting even for vegetarians.

------------------------

Woman sues McDonald's after ad ‘forced’ her to eat Big Mac after going veggie

Russian Ksenia Ovchinnikova is demanding £10 in compensation for 'moral damage' after being seduced by a McDonald's ad, which she claims lured her into a local branch

By
Sam Elliott-Gibbs

A woman is suing McDonald's after claiming the company's advert ‘forced’ her to scoff a Big Mac weeks after going vegetarian.
Former fast food addict Ksenia Ovchinnikova gave up meat for Lent.
But she claimed she was seduced by an image of the juicy burger - and was helpless as she headed into the local branch and devoured the meal.
The devout Christian is going legal because she feels the restaurant is responsible for her going back on her pledge to steer clear of beef.
She proudly boasted that she managed to avoid eating any meat for a month before the ad turned her head.

Zamoskvoretsky Court in Russia has confirmed that it had received her lawsuit.

Oddly, she is requesting just over £10 is compensation for 'moral damage'.

The court told Tass news: "The court received a claim from Ksenia Ovchinnikova, the defendant of which is McDonald's.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/woman-sues-mcdonalds-after-ad-24706471

Sniff. She should have enjoyed her burger and been overjoyed into being tempted into doing something that made her feel guilt.

When cheeseburgers are too tempting even for vegetarians.

------------------------

Woman sues McDonald's after ad ‘forced’ her to eat Big Mac after going veggie

Russian Ksenia Ovchinnikova is demanding £10 in compensation for 'moral damage' after being seduced by a McDonald's ad, which she claims lured her into a local branch

By
Sam Elliott-Gibbs

A woman is suing McDonald's after claiming the company's advert ‘forced’ her to scoff a Big Mac weeks after going vegetarian.
Former fast food addict Ksenia Ovchinnikova gave up meat for Lent.
But she claimed she was seduced by an image of the juicy burger - and was helpless as she headed into the local branch and devoured the meal.
The devout Christian is going legal because she feels the restaurant is responsible for her going back on her pledge to steer clear of beef.
She proudly boasted that she managed to avoid eating any meat for a month before the ad turned her head.

Zamoskvoretsky Court in Russia has confirmed that it had received her lawsuit.

Oddly, she is requesting just over £10 is compensation for 'moral damage'.

The court told Tass news: "The court received a claim from Ksenia Ovchinnikova, the defendant of which is McDonald's.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/woman-sues-mcdonalds-after-ad-24706471
Sounds like a stunt.

I've been a veggie for most of my life - tempted all the time by the smells that we are hard-wired to react to, like cooking fat, but not so much the taste or the pictures of the food

Naaah, this is a publicity stunt. McDonald's will accept that their food is too tempting and will pay the $10.

A quick thumbs up for Burger King's new Vegan Royale - extremely tasty!

vegan.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
[This] ... survey shows 60% of vegetarians ate meat yesterday...
https://www.businessinsider.com/survey-60-of-self-proclaimed-vegetarians-ate-meat-yesterday-2013-6

"A poll conducted by CNN surveyed 10,000 Americans about their eating habits, and roughly 6% of the respondents self-identified as vegetarians. The researchers then asked individuals to describe their eating habits, and 60% of the "vegetarians" reported having eaten meat within the last 24 hours."

So the 60% who sometimes eat meat are totally in denial and should not refer to themselves as vegetarians.

It's like claiming that you're a non-smoker - except for the pipe and cigars.

[This] ... survey shows 60% of vegetarians ate meat yesterday...
https://www.businessinsider.com/survey-60-of-self-proclaimed-vegetarians-ate-meat-yesterday-2013-6

"A poll conducted by CNN surveyed 10,000 Americans about their eating habits, and roughly 6% of the respondents self-identified as vegetarians. The researchers then asked individuals to describe their eating habits, and 60% of the "vegetarians" reported having eaten meat within the last 24 hours."

That's Americans, though - not a great history of vegetarianism in that neck of the woods. How about we do a survey of vegetarians on this board? How many of us ate meat yesterday?

Me: no. Haven't eaten meat since 1994.

That's Americans, though - not a great history of vegetarianism in that neck of the woods. How about we do a survey of vegetarians on this board? How many of us ate meat yesterday?

I think the reasons why you don't are as interesting as the numbers. I had a very good friend who was vegan, but she was vegan because she had been exposed to Buddhism. Would not kill anything, not even insects. Didn't stop her drinking Stella like a hero.

And yes, I respected her views because she did not impose them on me, and I learned how to cook vegan meals for her - which is not easy even in Indian cuisine which has a large vegetarian component.

When I gave up was when she started to insist I kept an entirely separate set of utensils because she would not accept any food that had been in any sort of vessel that had been used for the cooking or storage of meat. Despite it having been cleaned and scoured. Rightly or wrongly at that point I felt it had gone beyond any sort of rationality into fanaticism.

“Our current position is that the number of people in the UK who maintain a vegetarian or vegan diet 100% of the time still holds at 2% – 3% of the population.”

https://vegsoc.org/info-hub/facts-and-figures/

maximus otter

When I gave up was when she started to insist I kept an entirely separate set of utensils because she would not accept any food that had been in any sort of vessel that had been used for the cooking or storage of meat. Despite it having been cleaned and scoured. Rightly or wrongly at that point I felt it had gone beyond any sort of rationality into fanaticism.
My friend Brian is like that. He wouldn't even use a microwave at work after somebody had just cooked a meat product.
I tried to explain that all he had to do was waft the air around a bit to clear away the 'meat-tainted' air.

I guess the thing is that vegetarians don‘t eat meat for all sorts of reasons - health, religion, not liking the taste, not wanting to eat animals, and a whole array in between - so one vegetarian will never behave like another. One may just scrape the bacon off and eat their vege-burger while another will insist on a separate restaurant.

Back