• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
One of our Springers has IBD and it was suggested he might have a meat protein allergy so, following advice, we switched him to a vegan diet which seems to have improved his condition.
Each night we let the dogs out at nighttime and during late autumn, early winter we got up in the morning and on clearing the patio of any dog mess we found his, and only his, was mostly gone with hundreds of little footprints around the trodden down mess that was left. We thought at first rats were eating it but it turned out to be a hedgehog(s).
Over the weekend he went into the garden for a turn out and within minutes there were magpies gobbling it all up. Again, they ignored anything left by the other dogs.

Obviously something is attracting the beasts and birds to the output of his vegan diet. He is on a brand called Hownd, both tinned meat-alike and kibble.

One of our Springers has IBD and it was suggested he might have a meat protein allergy so, following advice, we switched him to a vegan diet which seems to have improved his condition.
Each night we let the dogs out at nighttime and during late autumn, early winter we got up in the morning and on clearing the patio of any dog mess we found his, and only his, was mostly gone with hundreds of little footprints around the trodden down mess that was left. We thought at first rats were eating it but it turned out to be a hedgehog(s).
Over the weekend he went into the garden for a turn out and within minutes there were magpies gobbling it all up. Again, they ignored anything left by the other dogs.

Obviously something is attracting the beasts and birds to the output of his vegan diet. He is on a brand called Hownd, both tinned meat-alike and kibble.
I read decades ago in t'Grauniad that birds will eat the excrement of vegetarian-fed dogs.

I read decades ago in t'Grauniad that birds will eat the excrement of vegetarian-fed dogs.
I remember one early morning in Paris with a pre Mrs T63 partner. She was badly hung over after a night of wining and dining and we were on the lookout for coffee.
Suddenly her eyes went wide as saucers, her hand flew to cover her mouth and she started to retch, I looked at where her eyes were directed and saw pigeons flicking up dog excrement and fighting over the bits falling off.
Maybe Parisian dogs enjoy a veggie/vegan diet?

I remember one early morning in Paris with a pre Mrs T63 partner. She was badly hung over after a night of wining and dining and we were on the lookout for coffee.
Suddenly her eyes went wide as saucers, her hand flew to cover her mouth and she started to retch, I looked at where her eyes were directed and saw pigeons flicking up dog excrement and fighting over the bits falling off.
Maybe Parisian dogs enjoy a veggie/vegan diet?
There was a fad for it at one time. People were trying to be ethical pet owners by feeding their dogs without meat.
It was no good for cats as they need taurine from meat or they go blind.

I work with a lot of raw fleece and get asked how to go about scouring it, from time to time. Someone new to it was panicking about finding "fleas" (sic) in it and I tried to explain to them, you need to worry far more about residues from a recent sheep dip far more than you need to worry about encountering anything... live. But then I did give them a warning about leptospirosis just to really give them summat proper to worry about...

Re. price of venison. So many road kills round here. I'm guessing you have to get the guts out really quickly to stop it spoiling but I've seen people over and over pull up their 4 x 4s and pick up a dead pheasant and take it home to eat. The deers get left even if they're fresh.

I got a posh farmer to pick up a long dead pheasant from my neighbour's front lawn, the other year, as the price for letting him take a recently dead un from the lane outside our house... He did it cheerfully. My neighbour had been so freaked out she just left it there for a week or so. We live close to a shoot and it's nothing to wake up and see half a dozen golden pheasants walking about on our humble council house front lawn. The escapees live in the hedge next to our house.
G'day GITM,

We used to dip our woolies - run them through a race then the race would turn into a brick and concrete trench full of nasty arsenic based fluid. We've stopped that and use a systemic 'backline' for just about everything now.

So much more convenient. I would imagine you'd be changing from dips to backlining?

There was a fad for it at one time. People were trying to be ethical pet owners by feeding their dogs without meat.
It was no good for cats as they need taurine from meat or they go blind.
I learn new things every day.

Yeah well, we won't talk about ridiculously priced coffee beans then, eh...

Dogs are happy to eat deer poo or other ruminants because the grass makes it taste sweet to them.
Same way some cats die because they drink spilled antifreeze because it smells sweet to them.

A real and good quality filet (or fillet which is the British spelling, not the French) would not have that level of marbling. It is why fillet is served with a sauce or gets a generous rub as without the marbling it doesn’t have the flavour of a rib eye etc.

View attachment 75285

Too lean; I would slice it up and dry it.

MrsF has asked if I would like it for my Birthday.
Shall I give it a go?
Do it Mr F.

It's a little odd that I have just clicked onto this thread, as I have literally just put the phone down to a local pub to book a table for tomorrow evening, as Mrs DT was asking me last night to take her to a local pub which specializes in Steak.

Dogs are happy to eat deer poo or other ruminants because the grass makes it taste sweet to them.
Same way some cats die because they drink spilled antifreeze because it smells sweet to them.
I saved a bee once. It was drinking screenwash off my windscreen.
Little blighter flew away, a bit wobbly.

Was it one of those temptingly tasty berry flavour windscreen washers?
Smells great but I couldn’t drink all 5 litres in a session though.

Do it Mr F.

It's a little odd that I have just clicked onto this thread, as I have literally just put the phone down to a local pub to book a table for tomorrow evening, as Mrs DT was asking me last night to take her to a local pub which specializes in Steak.
After all that (weeks of asking me) she's now decided that the 'steak' is so small it's just not worth it.

''Even your cock is bigger'' was the actual wording used.

Omelette it is then.

After all that (weeks of asking me) she's now decided that the 'steak' is so small it's just not worth it.

''Even your cock is bigger'' was the actual wording used.

Omelette it is then.
I have a world of questions. :thought:

Have to admit that whilst totally understanding why some people choose to be vegetarians or vegan, have found that when I try to join their ranks, I feel very run down after a while, and energy levels drop substantially. I was also recovering from some relatively routine surgery that took place two months ago, and was on a virtually meat /fish free diet. Got the permanently tired feeling, but decided to have corned beef sandwiches for lunch for three days in a row, and came bouncing back so to speak. Have wondered whether or not some human creatures, myself included, simply need meat in order to have a reasonable state of health.

Have to admit that whilst totally understanding why some people choose to be vegetarians or vegan, have found that when I try to join their ranks, I feel very run down after a while, and energy levels drop substantially. I was also recovering from some relatively routine surgery that took place two months ago, and was on a virtually meat /fish free diet. Got the permanently tired feeling, but decided to have corned beef sandwiches for lunch for three days in a row, and came bouncing back so to speak. Have wondered whether or not some human creatures, myself included, simply need meat in order to have a reasonable state of health.
Owsley Stanley (the Grateful Dead's soundman) had a hatred for any vegetables at all and lived for many years on meat, eggs, butter and cheese.

Owsley Stanley (the Grateful Dead's soundman) had a hatred for any vegetables at all and lived for many years on meat, eggs, butter and cheese.
He was actually ahead of his time in his thinking... from Wikipedia:
From at least the mid-1960s until his death, Stanley practiced and advocated an all-meat diet, believing that humans are naturally carnivorous. He argued that rare red meat was a complete food and that a diet of such is optimal for human health and longevity. He held many radical opinions on biology and nutrition. He argued that the body could not store protein or fat as adipose tissue, but would instead be simply excreted if consumed in excess, and that only consumption of carbohydrates and sugars could make someone obese. He also theorized that diabetes was not technically a disease but actually the term for the damage wrought by insulin, and that adopting a zero carb diet would treat this so-called disease.

Steady on: you might progress from a healthy diet to an abomination to *ahem* The Liver King.

Live a really healthy and sustainable lifestyle ... as long as you buy my products, grunt like an idiot when challenged, buy my products, get into the ol' Alpha male, GoP, kill all weaklings and foreigners, and buy my products.
Oh, and I might be addicted to steroids but it's not a bad addiction and my wife and two chads ... er ... children say they are happy with eating raw organs.
As long as the income rolls in.

Back