• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
What are your views of milk? Do we really need milk 'for our bones' as we've been told from an early age, or should humans not drink it as some people maintain?
I used to drink gallons of the stuff as a child.
Milk that has been pasteurised is not good but milk that has been homogenised has had the fat proteins broken down which are needed to digest the milk. The only place I know around here, at least, that sells non homogenised milk is Waitrose.

I've drunk raw milk in India a lot of times and the taste is hard to describe. It's incredible and you can taste the goodness in it. It's nothing like western processed milk. A lot of people are lactose intolerant not because of the milk, but rather because of the processing that's done to it.

Milk that has been pasteurised is not good but milk that has been homogenised has had the fat proteins broken down which are needed to digest the milk. The only place I know around here, at least, that sells non homogenised milk is Waitrose.

I've drunk raw milk in India a lot of times and the taste is hard to describe. It's incredible and you can taste the goodness in it. It's nothing like western processed milk. A lot of people are lactose intolerant not because of the milk, but rather because of the processing that's done to it.

Many years ago we stayed with friends at a rental which supplied proper “green top” milk as an option. Most people wouldn’t drink it. l couldn’t get enough. After the stirred, skimmed, boiled, irradiated, “passed by the management” slop we are supplied with by supermarkets, it tasted like heaven.

maximus otter

- From the “experts”, who daily try to terrify us by asserting that doing [something currently disapproved of by our lords and masters] might increase our chances of developing split ends by 1%…

:rolleyes:

maximus otter
You Brits are too funny!!

Mind you, if you ever saw me head-banging to heavy metal, then you'd probably think that I'm at serious risk of fracturing femurs, vertebrae and other muscular-skeletal features galore.

The humour comes from Max's Irish blood! @Ronnie Jersey

giphy.gif

maximus otter

Restaurant scraps plant-based dishes after becoming fed up with ‘holier-than-thou’ vegans

Isle of Wight eatery defends itself against ‘nasty’ and ‘bullying’ vegans who were furious that their diet was not catered for.

An award-winning cafe has at hit out at “holier-than-thou” vegan customers saying they shouldn’t have to adapt their menu to “suit” customers who don’t eat animal products.

The Kitchen at London House on the Isle of Wight went online to defend itself against “nasty” and “bullying” vegans who were outraged at their decision to refuse to cater to their diets.

Addressing its critics, it said: “If you want vegan food, go to a vegan restaurant.”

The popular high street restaurant in Ventnor said that though it used to serve some vegan food, they decided to stop because of a “militant minority” that spoilt it for the majority.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-plant-based-dishes-becoming-fed-holier-than/

:rofl:

maximus otter

Restaurant scraps plant-based dishes after becoming fed up with ‘holier-than-thou’ vegans

Isle of Wight eatery defends itself against ‘nasty’ and ‘bullying’ vegans who were furious that their diet was not catered for.

An award-winning cafe has at hit out at “holier-than-thou” vegan customers saying they shouldn’t have to adapt their menu to “suit” customers who don’t eat animal products.

The Kitchen at London House on the Isle of Wight went online to defend itself against “nasty” and “bullying” vegans who were outraged at their decision to refuse to cater to their diets.

Addressing its critics, it said: “If you want vegan food, go to a vegan restaurant.”

The popular high street restaurant in Ventnor said that though it used to serve some vegan food, they decided to stop because of a “militant minority” that spoilt it for the majority.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-plant-based-dishes-becoming-fed-holier-than/

:rofl:

maximus otter
They always say ex-smokers are holier than thou too. Imagine encountering one of these vegans who had recently given up tobacco as well.

Someone here was a tad annoyed the other week as they'd gone to a Thai restaurant (know for it's obnoxious staff), ordered a vegan meal, driven 20 miles home, opened said meal and found it had meat in it. He was so enraged, he then drove 20 miles back to complain (which he filmed). I told him the same thing that these lot were told- that you should only ever go to a place that is totally vegan/vegetarian, run by people who are as well. If you don't, you will never be able to guarantee that they have washed knives etc no matter what they tell you.
In fact, they shouldn't even use the same cutlery/plates at all.

Government's "Food Tsar" believes that, to avoid climate breakdown, a reduction of 30% in meat consumption is necessary over the next decade.
That doesn't go as far as Greenpeace, who are advocating a 70% reduction.
With 85% of agricultural land in England being used for pasture for grazing animals such as cows or to grow food which is then fed to livestock, that is utterly unsustainable and something's clearly got to give.
The UK already has one of the highest % of vegetarian & vegan demographics in Europe, but you can expect to see government campaigns to encourage more citizens to take up a meat-free diet in the coming years.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-reduce-meat-dairy-intake-says-henry-dimbleby

Last edited:
I think you must have more crazed vegans in the UK than in the US. I've been a veggie most of my life and I really try to avoid animal products, like in shoes, which is not always possible, but it's not a cult. It's not kashrut ordained by god (and even there, you get full credit for doing your best.) I don't care if you use the same knives or dishes, and when all else fails I order the salad and am happy with it. It's not like a little animal protein sneaking into the tomato sauce gives it cooties. The behavior described above isn't about health, it's about severe self-importance, and if I owned the restaurant I'd throw them out too.

Winning the hearts and minds. Vid at link.

I wonder if these Animal Rebellion activists won many supporters by pouring milk on the floor of Harrod's department store in London?

At the beginning of the video, we see a woman standing outside the store. She says, "Hi, I'm Cath (?) from Animal Rebellion. I'm about to go into Harrods to pour all of the milk on the floor to convey that milk is destructive to the planet and cruel to animals.

Then the video cuts to the inside of the store, where we see people opening glass bottles of milk and pouring them onto the floor. An employee approaches them and says, "Why are you doing this? I'm going to call security." She makes good on her promise, and a team of private security guards comes in to haul off the protesters. At 0:55, you can see someone slip and fall in a milk puddle.

https://boingboing.net/2022/08/16/a...ilk-on-floor-at-harrods-department-store.html

Government's "Food Tsar" believes that, to avoid climate breakdown, a reduction of 30% in meat consumption is necessary over the next decade.
That doesn't go as far as Greenpeace, who are advocating a 70% reduction.
With 85% of agricultural land in England being used for pasture for grazing animals such as cows or to grow food which is then fed to livestock, that is utterly unsustainable and something's clearly got to give.
The UK already has one of the highest % of vegetarian & vegan demographics in Europe, but you can expect to see government campaigns to encourage more citizens to take up a meat-free diet in the coming years.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-reduce-meat-dairy-intake-says-henry-dimbleby
The Food Tsar has called for people to reduce their meat intake by 30%, not to become meat-free and the government is not asking people to give up meat and dairy. Firstly, let's be realistic about veganism, despite the almost evangelical social media and online hype the reality is that 99% of those who embark on a vegan lifestyle have faded after 12 months, with most failing much sooner:

https://inews.co.uk/news/environment/veganuary-2021-vegan-diet-most-people-dont-keep-up-834085

98% of the UK population aren't vegan. So is it really practical to be telling people they should give up meat and dairy? I think most people have got a lot more to worry about right now, such as being able to heat their homes this winter and it's only going to get worse as we head towards a recession. Franly, they probably don't want anymore lectures from the government about their lifestyle and certainly don't want a fresh meat tax. Personally, I feel such a move would be counter-productive and just get their backs up. Eating meat is deeply ingrained in people's lives and family histories; just look how beef sales bounced back from BSE

Then there are the health issues of people not putting the effort into a healthy meat-free diet and just eating fake meat that is just heavily processed pea protein and soya. Are people going to get sufficient vitamins and minerals from such a diet? There was another study released this week:

"Women who do not eat meat are more likely to break their hips in later life, a study has claimed.
Researchers followed 26,000 women for about 20 years and found vegetarians in the group were a third more likely to experience fractures than meat eaters."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-62504018

Eating less meat and having meat-free days? Absolutely. Chicken used to be a luxury, not something you can buy in a bucket. A vegetarian diet of home-cooked meals is extremely healthy and good for the planet. Not so sure about fake meats though. But persuading people to reduce consumption is always a better than advocating or demanding abstinence.

A vegetarian diet of home-cooked meals is extremely healthy and good for the planet.

- Until you factor in the sources of most of the novel and/or tastier vegetarian ingredients - quinoa, tofu, bananas, avocados, couscous etc. - and remember that another “wing” of the Green movement wants to ban all transport other than by rail.

The full-spectrum solution (in the minds of the people driving all this pish) is for us to be reduced to eating only locally-sourced, organic produce that’s in season. Rather unappealing in the UK.

Bon appetit!

maximus otter

" being able to heat their homes this winter "

Maybe climate change will give us shorter, warmer (and probably wetter) winters?
It's been many a year since I last saw any snow down here.

- Until you factor in the sources of most of the novel and/or tastier vegetarian ingredients - quinoa, tofu, bananas, avocados, couscous etc. - and remember that another “wing” of the Green movement wants to ban all transport other than by rail.

The full-spectrum solution (in the minds of the people driving all this pish) is for us to be reduced to eating only locally-sourced, organic produce that’s in season. Rather unappealing in the UK.

Bon appetit!

maximus otter
George Monbiot has had a rant against organic meat in the Guardian. He argues that introducing livestock to our natural environment degrades the ecosystem. Well George, pretty much all human activity degrades the ecosystem, especially building sprawling new identikit housing estates on green fields to cope with a population approaching 70 million. I would much rather see sheep and cattle in the fields than bulldozers and I don't want to get too political but it seems there are those in the Green lobby who want rewinding and open borders

George Monbiot has had a rant against organic meat in the Guardian. He argues that introducing livestock to our natural environment degrades the ecosystem. Well George, pretty much all human activity degrades the ecosystem, especially building sprawling new identikit housing estates on green fields to cope with a population approaching 70 million. I would much rather see sheep and cattle in the fields than bulldozers and I don't want to get too political but it seems there are those in the Green lobby who want rewinding and open borders.

Your first sentence says it all, really: “Monbiot...rant...Guardian”.

Remember: When these people talk about “reducing carbon”, the carbon they want to reduce is you and me.

maximus otter

Eating less meat and having meat-free days? Absolutely. Chicken used to be a luxury, not something you can buy in a bucket. A vegetarian diet of home-cooked meals is extremely healthy and good for the planet. Not so sure about fake meats though. But persuading people to reduce consumption is always a better than advocating or demanding abstinence.
I think this is the problem in all forms now, not just food- we have too much choice. Do we need shops full of plastic dog toys when a tennis ball would do?
As you have said regarding food, some things were eaten less often and we appreciated them a lot more for it.

George Monbiot has had a rant against organic meat in the Guardian. He argues that introducing livestock to our natural environment degrades the ecosystem. Well George, pretty much all human activity degrades the ecosystem, especially building sprawling new identikit housing estates on green fields to cope with a population approaching 70 million. I would much rather see sheep and cattle in the fields than bulldozers and I don't want to get too political but it seems there are those in the Green lobby who want rewinding and open borders
He clearly (a) knows nothing about farming and (b) doesn't seem to realise that cattle-poop is a good way to keep the soil healthy.

Back