• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Veil (Boris Karloff Series)

gattino

Justified & Ancient
Not to assume others are as ignorant as I was about the existence of this show, but should you be...

I stumbled on it on Amazon prime, but luckily all episodes are on Youtube.

1958 - The series was made but apparently never broadcast so has become, apparently, a cult secret delight, hailed as the best show you've never seen. Karloff presents, ala Rod Sterling, and acts in each 25 minute fortean drama "based on" supposedly true events. The series One Step Beyond made a similar claim but when you could identify what those tales were purportedly based on they were so far removed from the source events that the claim was meanginless. I assumed the same was probably true of The Veil, until i watched an episode where i recognised the real life case its only lightly fictionalised from. So I now assume the rest are more or less genuinely inspired by real anecdotes. Certainly all the famlliar tropes of forteana are there...the phantom hitchhiker, the restless spirit, the remembered past life etc.

It's a really decent little series, and a treat to see Karloff acting as multiple "normal" people for a change, even if he can't ever change his accent.

There are 10 or 12 episodes, but here are a couple to whet your appetite. You can as i say find them all on Youtube.

The one that i recognised as a slightly altered real life famous court case from various psi and afterlife books:

And one about an indian past life case, worth including as it also features an incredibly young George Hamilton as an indian youth, looking worryingly like a pretty version of Jimmy Carr.

I seem to recall that it was issued on DVDs by Network, quite a few years back.

They took out a full-page ad. in FT, iirc. Probably their best way to blow the entire advertising budget! :headspinner:

51FZ4WEN60L._AC_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Veil-DVD-Boris-Karloff/dp/B0009FHKYK

Last edited:
Back