• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Velvet Gentleman (The Mole)

A

Anonymous

I read once about a feud between two rival Scottish clans, which was brought to an end when one of the Chieftans was killed when his horse's foot went into a molehill whilst in a full battle charge against the other clan. The horse stumbled and the Chieftan crashed to his death after which his clansmen lost heart and bravely buggered off.

Ever since that day, members of the other clan traditionally raise their glasses 'to the velvet gentleman' in honour of the mole, whenever they take a drop of whisky to themselves .

Anyone know any more details of the above or any more 'toasts' with interesting histories?

Same story is also attributed to William of Orange, details here

Last edited by a moderator:
Very apt. I have handled moles (be carefull if you try this for they have sharp teeth!) and they are velvet.

We don't have moles in Ireland at all, which I find disappointing. Never seen one in real life but they look like nice wee creatures on TV.

<thinks>
How many moles can you get in a suitcase?
And how many would survive a trip to Ireland?
</thinks>

Not many. And the brutes eat their own weight in LIVE worms per day.

Which is why I am dubious about using so-called humane traps...unless you check them very often the mole will starve.

Not many cricket ground in Ireland either. Still best not to introduce species I suppose.

Originally posted by Atch
<thinks>
How many moles can you get in a suitcase?
And how many would survive a trip to Ireland?
</thinks>

I read somewhere that the journalist Claud Cockburn, who retired to Ireland, used to smuggle snakes into the country at every opportunity...

OT: Has anyone seen those gadgets that you put in the ground and give off vibrations, which are supposed to upset the moles' sense of direction and drive them off?

You're supposed to be able to achieve the same effect by burying one of those chips that play tunes in birthday cards in one of their runs, they play for a surprisingly long time.

Sadly, I tried this as my Dad has a long running campaign against moles in his garden...I don't think it worked, though at least the moles know the tune of 'Happy Birthday to You.'

Aha! Only in last week's Take a Break "World's Favourite True Life Weekly" there was a Top Tip of digging holes in your garden and placing empty bottles in them. As the wind blows over the bottles the noise will scare the moles away.

Apparently.

I've heard that slightly chewed wads of Juicy Fruit gum will repel them--something about the smell.

My cousin used to put dog poop down gopher holes to chase them off, which seems to be taking inhospitality a shade too far.

<Growls> people who send music playing birthday cards ought to be shoved dowm moleholes...

Same story is also attributed to William of Orange, details here

The link cited above is dead. Here's the relevant bit:

The Legacy Of William Of Orange
On February 20, 1702 William was riding Sorrel, a new horse, in the park of Hampton Court. As the horse began to gallop it stumbled on a molehill and fell throwing William who broke his collarbone, with ultimately fatal consequences. This unhappy incident was to give rise to a new Jacobite toast, ‘To the little gentleman in black velvet’. ...

SALVAGED FROM / FULL ARTICLE ACCESSIBLE AT:
https://web.archive.org/web/2004081...range.org.uk/history/Legacy_King_William.html

Back