The Vikings TV Series

skinny

Bono Parte
I looked for a thread, but search turned up nothing so here's a new one. Blend if I'm rehashing an old topic. This is the series I'm on about - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikings_(TV_series)

The Vikings has just commenced on TV down under and I was immediately drawn in. I can ignore the historical inaccuracies if the characters are engaging and the plot thickens in a satisfactory way. I found the sundial concept intriguing as a method of plotting vector on the open sea, but couldn't figure how the translucent stone would work to pinpoint the sun's position behind overcast skies. However, it is visually magnificent. Some good acting so far, but some shite too. Great sets, costumes, props etc. Can't wait for the full battle scenes in eps to come. I found Gaby Byrne a bit detached, sadly. He's done some cool work, but this won't be remembered on his record.

Has the series screened where you are yet? What do you think?

skinny said:
..but couldn't figure how the translucent stone would work to pinpoint the sun's position behind overcast skies.
Here you go:

Viking Sunstone Guided Ships in Cloudy Weather

...The Norse sagas mention a mysterious “sunstone” used for navigation. Now a team of scientists claims that the sunstones could have been calcite crystals and that Vikings could have used them to get highly accurate compass readings even when the sun was hidden.

The trick for locating the position of the hidden sun is to detect polarization, the orientation of light waves along their path. Even on a cloudy day, the sky still forms a pattern of concentric rings of polarized light with the sun at its center. If you have a crystal that depolarizes light, you can determine the location of the rings around the hidden sun.

Calcite is such a crystal. It has a property called birefringence: Light passing through calcite is split along two paths, forming a double image on the far side. The brightness of the two images relative to each other depends on the polarization of the light. By passing light from the sky through calcite and changing the crystal’s orientation until the projections of the split beams are equally bright, it is theoretically possible to detect the concentric rings of polarization and thus the location of the sun.

...Ropars cautions that archaeologists have yet to find a sunstone among Viking shipwrecks or settlements.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/ ... avigation/

I haven't seen the prog, though.

Sunstone. Cool. Rynner, you're a Fortean goldmine... There's a PhD in the search or engineering for such a lens.

Oz is usually last to screen everything. Surprised this hasn't been shown up north yet.

About 7 eps into the series and it has me hooked. I highly recommend it for the engagement value, if not for the historical accuracy. The most recent wonderous ep focused on a halucinogen-laden sacrificial festival of the gods in old Uppsala (Gamla Uppsala), in contrast to the outright battle violence and intrigue of the previous invasion focused eps. I don't know how close the setup on the TV show is to the historical reality of the folk themsleves. Seems to me these people lived in interesting enough circumstances without the need to embelish their culture too heavily.

Here's the website of the band who score the series. Wardruna: http://www.wardruna.com/. Samples on the site. Their style is described in Wikipee as 'dark folk'. Lends the series a unique atmosphere.

I think this show was a bit meh to begin with. I do wonder if they ever meet up and have fights with the GoT cast, since they both shoot in Ireland.

I enjoyed S1 & 2 but lost interest part way throu 3. Travis Fimmel is the star of the new Warcraft film.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just getting back into this series again after missing most of series 3 and 4. I binge-watched series 4 and am now fully engaged with the characters and the story again. Looking forward to the next season starting here tomorrow night. Unfortunately I previewed a key event on youtube, but no matter. SBSTV also showed a 90min documentary on the true background to the series. The writers and researchers freely acknowledge that they have pulled together a fictionalised plotline. Clive Standen doesn't impress me much as an actor, and Travis Fimmel's facial idiosyncrasies are getting a bit old. However, there is enough intrigue in the plot to overlook the flaws in the production. It is spectacular viewing and the music is perfect.

Second half of S4 starting on RTE2 on Wednesday. Ten more episodes!

And a 5th season of 20 episodes has been commissioned.

Surprised about this. It gets trailered to death on some channel or other and just looks like battle pr0n to me. Is there actually a plot?

Surprised about this. It gets trailered to death on some channel or other and just looks like battle pr0n to me. Is there actually a plot?

There is an ongoing story arc which touches on real historical events. Great love stories, betrayals, mysterious hooded figures. Some TCD lecturers are involved as advisers on the Historical Framework, customs etc.

A film but similar in style

Northmen: A Viking Saga: Outlawed Vikings are shipwrecked on the Scottish coast, though outnumbered the survivors vanquish a party of Scottish warriors and capture a princess. Great derring-do high adventure follow. They meet up with a warrior monk (a Caine-Friar Tuck hybrid) and do battle with mercenaries (who come from "East of the Carpathians) as they try to escape this savage land. Treks through forest, over mountains and across moors. Some savage battle scenes and hand to hand combat. The princess is a a soothsayer and here father is hotheaded, though it's a messenger who arrives with bad tidings who has his head set on fire. At least he wasn't deep fried. An enjoyable romp directed by Claudio Fah, written by Matthias Bauer and Bastian Zach. On Netflix. 7/10.

The spin-off series Vikings: Valhalla is due for release on Netflix before the end of 2021.
Looks like 28 episodes have been commissioned.

Set around a century after the Vikings finale, it features a return to Kattegat, the ongoing struggle between Norse paganism and Christianity, some epic war scenes and will ultimately bring the saga ever closer to the pivotal time in British history of the Norman conquest.

https://www.entertainmentdaily.co.u...on-1-where-to-watch-in-the-uk-when-is-it-out/

Last edited:
Back