• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I have nothing to add except The Voynich Manuscript is one of the most delicious, mentally-itchy mysteries to enjoy, along with DB Cooper & his haul of dollars, the existence of The 'Q' Text and what happened to Lord Lucan. We'll never ever know in all possible likelihood but still, we wonder and try to speculate/solve the potentially unsolvable!

I love this place :headspinner:

edited to add:

The BBC Radio 4 programme is still available: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01wl75n

Oh come on! Surely you're not doing serious work if "covfefe" is on the list?

There is no list of most common words, and the researchers never mentioned 'covfefe'.

Here's the actual paper they wrote on their work:

https://www.aclweb.org/anthology/Q16-1006

The study has more to do with the intricacies of computational linguistics than with getting any traction on translating the manuscript per se.

After doing a number of permutations on the data (each of which is based on a number of presumptions) these authors merely mention they think they'd identified 5 words " ... that would not be out of place in a medieval herbal ..." - 'narrow', 'farmer', 'light', 'air', 'fire'.

That's it; that's all.

Both their convoluted methodology and journalists' over-inflation of their very tentative conclusions have been the subject of criticism, as noted in this popular press article:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/1/16959454/voynich-manuscript-mystery-ai-decoded-debunked

The whole things seems rather silly.

It is highly unlikely that such a book would be the only thing written in any written language. No matter how obscure.
What would be the point ?
If it was an attempt to remove money from the pocket of some king etc, then it would be a very strange king who would simply accept it as 'a mystery' book from a far land. Surely the first thing he would do is get his scolars to examine it.
And they would say, sorry, don't mean a thing to us.

And it must have taken up a very large part of some very clever persons time to create.

The whole exercise seems pointless.

But a nice thing in it's own right.

INT21

Surely this is a massively-significant discovery to have made about the Voynich? How on earth did I miss this back in 2014?

I do hope this hasn't been discredited, as it sounds quite persuasive...

http://www.livescience.com/43542-voynich-manuscript-10-words-cracked.html

I've now skim-watched Dr Stephen Bax's utterly-superb video above, and I'm completely convinced that he has made fantastic scientific progress on decoding the Voynich script.

His primary method is the attempted matching of era-correct proper names for the depicted plants, but corroborating this with what appear to be certain appended alternative names foot-noted below the illustrations (so, by analogy he's adducing the 'latin' botanic names with putative 'folk' names) but doing this within a convincing projection as to the likely geographic and archeosociological/linguistic contexts.

The guy is an utter genius, with solid credentials, full scientific peer reviews and he's a clear & convincing speaker. This is very nearly a Rosetta Stone effect, a decode made from matching the script to peoples, plants and planets.

Wow. Just completely amazing...the Voynich is NOT a hoax, it's almost certainly a long-dead Arabic/Near Eastern/Caucasian unwritten language, a dialectum insula that's been shared only between a small number of users.

And did you know it was already a well-established fact that more than one 'hand' was involved in writing the Voynich original?

Amazing. His website (more than 200k unique visitors, increment that figure now)

https://stephenbax.net

And a link to a PDF of his main thesis...

http://stephenbax.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Voynich-a-provisional-partial-decoding-BAX.pdf
Careful, don't TL-DR it.

It's looking more like a just a left-to-right isolated script, NOT a cypher, from a spoken-only Urals/Stepps dead dialect that has a strong Arabic influence. The pre/post repeats are an Arabian script habit, to compensate for the lack of written vowels in that language family.

So think of the following influences....an orthography that has something in common with dictionary IPA letter-sets ; emphasis modifiers by repeating letters; left-to-right Arabic-influenced language in a Latinate script (I immediately thought of Moorish dialects, and Maltese, just as I wrote that); A work of guidance regarding herbal health and astrology, that includes a few different language strains (think of repeated texts written in an indigenous and scholarly tongue).

Bax has it cracked...nearly

RIP again, Dr Stephen Bax. And may the probable veracity of your genius in respect of the VM immortalise your memory.

I was going to say, yeah, yeah, more theories that go nowhere, but nope, it seems to be the real deal! He's shown his working and everything.

The published paper's explanation seems far more sound and coherent than any of the others I've seen to date.

I'm more than a little apprehensive, though ... The manuscript has been an enigma for so long I'm finding it hard to wrap my mind around the notion its mysteries have really been solved.

The published paper's explanation seems far more sound and coherent than any of the others I've seen to date.

I'm more than a little apprehensive, though ... The manuscript has been an enigma for so long I'm finding it hard to wrap my mind around the notion its mysteries have really been solved.

Yes, it does seem fairly coherent. I do find the the responses of the Academia just as enlightening though.

Dr Lisa Fagin Davis, executive director of the Medieval Academy of America, of Cheshire’s paper. “This is just more aspirational, circular, self-fulfilling nonsense.”

Well, yeah, maybe, or maybe not.

Dr Kate Wiles, a medievalist and linguist and senior editor at History Today, said ... 'You can’t just have one person saying: ‘I’ve cracked it.’ You have got to have the field, on the whole, agreeing.”

Really? I'm not so sure on that one.

Here's the University of Bristol's press release:

Bristol academic cracks Voynich code, solving century-old mystery of medieval text
A University of Bristol academic has succeeded where countless cryptographers, linguistics scholars and computer programs have failed—by cracking the code of the 'world's most mysterious text', the Voynich manuscript.​
Although the purpose and meaning of the manuscript had eluded scholars for over a century, it took Research Associate Dr. Gerard Cheshire two weeks, using a combination of lateral thinking and ingenuity, to identify the language and writing system of the famously inscrutable document.​
In his peer-reviewed paper, The Language and Writing System of MS408 (Voynich) Explained, published in the journal Romance Studies, Cheshire describes how he successfully deciphered the manuscript's codex and, at the same time, revealed the only known example of proto-Romance language.​
"I experienced a series of 'eureka' moments whilst deciphering the code, followed by a sense of disbelief and excitement when I realised the magnitude of the achievement, both in terms of its linguistic importance and the revelations about the origin and content of the manuscript.​
"What it reveals is even more amazing than the myths and fantasies it has generated. For example, the manuscript was compiled by Dominican nuns as a source of reference for Maria of Castile, Queen of Aragon, who happens to have been great aunt to Catherine of Aragon.​
"It is also no exaggeration to say this work represents one of the most important developments to date in Romance linguistics. The manuscript is written in proto-Romance—ancestral to today's Romance languages including Portuguese, Spanish, French, Italian, Romanian, Catalan and Galician. The language used was ubiquitous in the Mediterranean during the Medieval period, but it was seldom written in official or important documents because Latin was the language of royalty, church and government. As a result, proto-Romance was lost from the record, until now."​
Cheshire explains in linguistic terms what makes the manuscript so unusual:​
"It uses an extinct language. Its alphabet is a combination of unfamiliar and more familiar symbols. It includes no dedicated punctuation marks, although some letters have symbol variants to indicate punctuation or phonetic accents. All of the letters are in lower case and there are no double consonants. It includes diphthong, triphthongs, quadriphthongs and even quintiphthongs for the abbreviation of phonetic components. It also includes some words and abbreviations in Latin."​
The next step is to use this knowledge to translate the entire manuscript and compile a lexicon, which Cheshire acknowledges will take some time and funding, as it comprises more than 200 pages.​
"Now the language and writing system have been explained, the pages of the manuscript have been laid open for scholars to explore and reveal, for the first time, its true linguistic and informative content."​
Source:​

Not. Convinced. At. All.

Seems very thin on actual, er, substance. And 'euraka' moments, you've gotta be kiddin'...!

Having previously described Cheshire as “a University of Bristol academic”, the university is taking pains to distance itself from him. It said: “The research was entirely the author’s own work and is not affiliated with the University of Bristol, the school of arts nor the Centre for Medieval Studies”.

Ha-ha-ha!

Yes, it would indeed seem that the gun has been well and truly jumped on this.

https://voynichportal.com/2019/05/07/cheshire-recast/

Precisely. I've just read the putative 'volcano' trasliteration, and I remain very unconvinced. This effort looks to have been much (much) less than it was pitched as, by the media.

Was it over-sold (the thesis), or over-welcomed (by the MSM)?

My hopes are still resting upon the late Steven Bax's translation method for cracking the VM.

I did spot this claim on the BBC website the other day and raise a cynical eyebrow!
Only one? Roger Moore stylee!?
DAhA1bdXUAErYgK.jpg

Well it was fun while it lasted.

Back