• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Vultures Are Circling (Greed & Strife Around An Impending Death)

I'm not sure what's Fortean about this thread, but it does make me worry for humanity. Or worry for the side of humanity who get preyed upon by the other side.
Deathbed wishes denied can result in Fortean goings on. The before, during, and after of death can lead to much pondering tending to the Fortean.

It does show how important it is to return in spirit form after death, to make sure your relatives didn't mess up.

It does show how important it is to return in spirit form after death, to make sure your relatives didn't mess up.
If there is an after death I rather hope it can be used more constructively than revenge on errant beneficiaries.

It was very strange to have been privy to this end stage of this mans life when he and I never passed a word between us. Bit like being in the audience of a short drama.

I know exactly what you mean. When I was recovering from my operation and still in hospital, there was an elderly lady in the bed on the other side of the ward who, one day, was told that she had cancer which wasn't curable. Me and the rest of the patients on the ward were stunned when we could hear all of this coming from the closed curtain around her bed, which offered her no privacy whatsoever.

I still can't believe that she wasn't wheeled to another room to be told more privately. I would hate to be told something like that in full earshot of strangers.

I know exactly what you mean. When I was recovering from my operation and still in hospital, there was an elderly lady in the bed on the other side of the ward who, one day, was told that she had cancer which wasn't curable. Me and the rest of the patients on the ward were stunned when we could hear all of this coming from the closed curtain around her bed, which offered her no privacy whatsoever.

I still can't believe that she wasn't wheeled to another room to be told more privately. I would hate to be told something like that in full earshot of strangers.

Something similar happened when my stepdaughter was in hospital in London. I was sitting with her when a doctor came to tell the woman in the bed opposite that her ovarian cancer had spread, and there was nothing more they could do for her. They drew the side curtains but not the one at the foot of the bed so I could see and hear everything. It was the coldest, most horrible way to break this to her, and the doctor spoke to her as though she was an idiot. The doctor then walked away leaving her to break the news to her (late teen/early 20’s) sons when they arrived shortly after. It was a terrible situation- I wanted to go and speak to her, see if there was anyone I could call for her or whatever, but I was too cowardly. That was eight years ago and it’s something that will stick with me forever.

Something similar happened when my stepdaughter was in hospital in London. I was sitting with her when a doctor came to tell the woman in the bed opposite that her ovarian cancer had spread, and there was nothing more they could do for her. They drew the side curtains but not the one at the foot of the bed so I could see and hear everything. It was the coldest, most horrible way to break this to her, and the doctor spoke to her as though she was an idiot. The doctor then walked away leaving her to break the news to her (late teen/early 20’s) sons when they arrived shortly after. It was a terrible situation- I wanted to go and speak to her, see if there was anyone I could call for her or whatever, but I was too cowardly. That was eight years ago and it’s something that will stick with me forever.

I sympathise with your dilemma.

My conscience still troubles me over an incident in Bristol (sorry this is somewhat off-topic). Was walking home to a hotel from a pub session with colleagues during a seminar. Passing another pub a young girl came out somewhat hurriedly and asked me to see her home. She could have been anywhere between 14 and 21 and although I did in fact know where she was asking to go I cowardly said 'I'm a visitor, I don't know the town'. I was in my late 50's at the time and selfishly thinking all the trouble i could be in if she was in fact under age or working a scam.

But maybe she was scared and genuine and something terrible may have happened to her, I don't know. What a wimp I was.

My conscience still troubles me over an incident in Bristol (sorry this is somewhat off-topic). Was walking home to a hotel from a pub session with colleagues during a seminar. Passing another pub a young girl came out somewhat hurriedly and asked me to see her home. She could have been anywhere between 14 and 21 and although I did in fact know where she was asking to go I cowardly said 'I'm a visitor, I don't know the town'. I was in my late 50's at the time and selfishly thinking all the trouble i could be in if she was in fact under age or working a scam.

But maybe she was scared and genuine and something terrible may have happened to her, I don't know. What a wimp I was.

As with many things in life, one can only do what one feels is best at the time. I completely understand why you would choose to tell her you were a visitor and personally I don't think that makes you a coward or a wimp.

There are always things in life that one can beat oneself up over, thinking "what if". It doesn't get us anywhere except heartache. Believe me, I know.

Deathbed wishes denied can result in Fortean goings on. The before, during, and after of death can lead to much pondering tending to the Fortean.
My dad saw his mother at the end of his bed in the days leading up to his death. A couple of days prior to his passing he commented that the lady passing his bed looked “just like mum” and very close to the end he looked towards the bottom of his bed and desperately cried and reached out for her.
Admittedly he was off his face on morphine at the time so it could have been the drugs.

My dad saw his mother at the end of his bed in the days leading up to his death. A couple of days prior to his passing he commented that the lady passing his bed looked “just like mum” and very close to the end he looked towards the bottom of his bed and desperately cried and reached out for her.
Admittedly he was off his face on morphine at the time so it could have been the drugs.

It's funny what medication can do, when I was in Hospital being treated for Kidney Stones and Sepsis I saw the Grim Reaper walk through a side door; with a scythe and all. I knew it wasn't real because 5 minutes previously I'd called my wife to tell her I thought I was turning into the Incredible Hulk; it was fascinating!

My conscience still troubles me over an incident in Bristol (sorry this is somewhat off-topic).

These things are a dilemma and something that affects me with guilt.
It's great to think we would always give the benefit of the doubt and be charitable but many times in life I believe we act on a survival instinct when put on the spot.
I bet if you could rewind to the incident there would be something about her that made you think "Scam."
Not foolproof, but there are so many subtle and subconscious hints and triggers with human behaviour that you should not feel any guilt whatsoever.

All we can do is with hindsight, think how to act should a similar incident occur again.
For the record I would have acted exactly the same.

In fact, a few years ago I was at a gig and noticed a group of women there, drinking heavily.
Must have been 18-19, a lot younger than me,

Ater the gig I saw one of them on her own, staggering in the street.
Late at night, inner London.

I was in my car and told her to call a cab, but she was bladdered.
So I asked her where she was going and said I would call a cab, then she asked me to drop her home.
I declined, I just knew that had to be trouble.
So I waited a few seconds, and just then a woman cyclist appeared from the corner.

I explained the situation to the cyclist, and asked her to get the young drunk home.

A few weeks later I saw the young drunk woman at another gig, this time sober.
I mentioned the incident but she looked at me blankly, and I walked away.
So at least I know she had got home safe and sound!

Back