• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Weeping Rock (Niobe Simulacrum; Mt. Sipylus; Turkey)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
The 'Weeping Rock' on Mount Sipylus has long been construed as a simulacrum for a woman in despair, associated with Niobe of Greek mythology ...

In Greek mythology, Niobe ... was a daughter of Tantalus and of either Dione, the most frequently cited, or of Eurythemista or Euryanassa, the wife of Amphion and the sister of Pelops and Broteas. ...

She was already mentioned in Homer's Iliad which relates her proud hubris, for which she was punished by Leto, who sent Apollo and Artemis to slay all of her children, after which her children lay unburied for nine days while she abstained from food. Once the gods interred them, she retreated to her native Sipylus, "where Nymphs dance around the River Acheloos, and though turned to stone, she broods over the sorrows sent by the Gods". ...

Using arrows, Artemis killed Niobe's daughters and Apollo killed Niobe's sons. According to some versions, at least one Niobid (usually Meliboea, along with her brother Amyclas in other renderings) was spared. Their father, Amphion, at the sight of his dead sons, either killed himself or was killed by Apollo for having sworn revenge. Devastated, Niobe fled back to Mount Sipylus and was turned into stone, and, as she wept unceasingly, waters started to pour from her petrified complexion. Mount Sipylus indeed has a natural rock formation which resembles a female face, and it has been associated with Niobe since ancient times and described by Pausanias. The rock formation is also known as the "Weeping Rock" (Turkish: Ağlayan Kaya), since rainwater seeps through its porous limestone. ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niobe

This 2001 Fortean Times article provides an overview of the Niobe legend and the author Peter James' quest to locate the 'weeping statue' long attributed as her final form ...
Niobe - Rock Goddess

Take a weeping Madonna,combine it with a simulacrum and dash of trompe l’oeil, then add a case of almost supernatural survival over some 3,000 years and a sidelight on the origins of the word syphilis, and there you have her –the ‘statue’ of Niobe.

According to some Greek myths, Niobe was the first woman –a kind of Hellenic Eve – whose descendants populated Greece. She can also make a good claim to be the grandmother of fortean phenomena. I first saw Niobe a few years ago when I was carrying out some archæological reconnaissance work near the Aegean coast of Turkey. The main task was to try to locate the prehistoric monuments which the ancient Greek writer Pausanias located in the hinterland behind Izmir (ancient Smyrna). He was a medical doctor who, in about AD 150, wrote the world ’s earliest surviving guidebook. ...

FULL STORY (At the Wayback Machine):
https://web.archive.org/web/2007062...features/articles/505/niobe_rock_goddess.html

Back