The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Pietro_Mercurios

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
12,022
Reaction score
172
Points
114
Hived off from the Best of British thread, which is a positive one, here's the whinge one back, where you can whine and carp to your heart's content. Stu.

rynner2 said:
A thread for Brits to give themselves a pat on the back, rather than whingeing all the time! Don't know if we can keep this going for long, but we can kick off with this:

Britain is now most powerful nation on earth

...
At fantasy. :rofl:
 

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Joined
Aug 19, 2003
Messages
50,560
Reaction score
24,311
Points
284
Location
Eblana
Re: The Best of British

Pietro_Mercurios said:
rynner2 said:
A thread for Brits to give themselves a pat on the back, rather than whingeing all the time! Don't know if we can keep this going for long, but we can kick off with this:

Britain is now most powerful nation on earth

...
At fantasy. :rofl:
Thats you ruled out of the Honours List.

You'll never become a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire.
 

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Joined
Aug 7, 2001
Messages
55,235
Reaction score
9,052
Points
284
There's a lot of money in Fantasy, which is one of the reasons Britain is top dog in 'soft power'.

James Bond isn't a documentary, you know! ;)
 

Pietro_Mercurios

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
12,022
Reaction score
172
Points
114
I've just been listening to a piece on the R4 PM show about the 'spare room tax'. Soon, Britain will be leading in social inequality, too.

James f#@king Bond. :roll:
 

Pietro_Mercurios

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
12,022
Reaction score
172
Points
114
drbastard said:
I thought Rynner started this thread as somewhere to actually be positive about the UK- and hell, we could do with some good news in the current climate.

But of course instead what we get is the board’s Marxists throwing their shit against the wall again. How drearily predictable.
I'm not a Marxist. But, if you want to make cheap ad hom's, one tired, far right cliché is as good as another.
 

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Joined
Aug 19, 2003
Messages
50,560
Reaction score
24,311
Points
284
Location
Eblana
Pietro_Mercurios said:
drbastard said:
I thought Rynner started this thread as somewhere to actually be positive about the UK- and hell, we could do with some good news in the current climate.

But of course instead what we get is the board’s Marxists throwing their shit against the wall again. How drearily predictable.
I'm not a Marxist. But, if you want to make cheap ad hom's, one tired, far right cliché is as good as another.
You are a Groucho Marxist?
 

Pietro_Mercurios

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
12,022
Reaction score
172
Points
114
ramonmercado said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:
drbastard said:
I thought Rynner started this thread as somewhere to actually be positive about the UK- and hell, we could do with some good news in the current climate.

But of course instead what we get is the board’s Marxists throwing their shit against the wall again. How drearily predictable.
I'm not a Marxist. But, if you want to make cheap ad hom's, one tired, far right cliché is as good as another.
You are a Groucho Marxist?
A grouchy Marxist?
 

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Joined
Aug 19, 2003
Messages
50,560
Reaction score
24,311
Points
284
Location
Eblana
Pietro_Mercurios said:
ramonmercado said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:
drbastard said:
I thought Rynner started this thread as somewhere to actually be positive about the UK- and hell, we could do with some good news in the current climate.

But of course instead what we get is the board’s Marxists throwing their shit against the wall again. How drearily predictable.
I'm not a Marxist. But, if you want to make cheap ad hom's, one tired, far right cliché is as good as another.
You are a Groucho Marxist?
A grouchy Marxist?
Thats me!
 

drbastard

Chaote
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
723
Reaction score
405
Points
94
Pietro_Mercurios said:
drbastard said:
I thought Rynner started this thread as somewhere to actually be positive about the UK- and hell, we could do with some good news in the current climate.

But of course instead what we get is the board’s Marxists throwing their shit against the wall again. How drearily predictable.
I'm not a Marxist. But, if you want to make cheap ad hom's, one tired, far right cliché is as good as another.
Well that's me in my place. I expect I shall cry myself to sleep tonight now. Clutching my Nazi teddy bear and today's copy of the Daily Mail.
 

Pietro_Mercurios

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
12,022
Reaction score
172
Points
114
drbastard said:
...

Well that's me in my place. I expect I shall cry myself to sleep tonight now. Clutching my Nazi teddy bear and today's copy of the Daily Mail.
Without a doubt.
 

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Joined
Aug 19, 2003
Messages
50,560
Reaction score
24,311
Points
284
Location
Eblana
drbastard said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:
drbastard said:
I thought Rynner started this thread as somewhere to actually be positive about the UK- and hell, we could do with some good news in the current climate.

But of course instead what we get is the board’s Marxists throwing their shit against the wall again. How drearily predictable.
I'm not a Marxist. But, if you want to make cheap ad hom's, one tired, far right cliché is as good as another.
Well that's me in my place. I expect I shall cry myself to sleep tonight now. Clutching my Nazi teddy bear and today's copy of the Daily Mail.
I had you down as a Telegraph reader.

 

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Joined
Aug 7, 2001
Messages
55,235
Reaction score
9,052
Points
284
Ruddy buses!

Yesterday pm I wanted to go into town. Waited for the (once an hour) bus, but it never showed in the next 25 minutes, so I gave up and went home.

This morning's bus was 15 minutes late arriving.

Coming home this afternoon I waited for the 1540 bus from town. It never showed. Long story short, I eventually got home even later than if I'd waited for the 1640 instead - which was on time!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
 

SHAYBARSABE

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Joined
May 5, 2009
Messages
1,495
Reaction score
46
Points
54
Pietro_Mercurios said:
I've just been listening to a piece on the R4 PM show about the 'spare room tax'. Soon, Britain will be leading in social inequality, too.
No, you don't: we're really good at social inquality, too, and we're not giving up our place.
:twisted:
 

SHAYBARSABE

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Joined
May 5, 2009
Messages
1,495
Reaction score
46
Points
54
SHAYBARSABE said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:
I've just been listening to a piece on the R4 PM show about the 'spare room tax'. Soon, Britain will be leading in social inequality, too.
No, you don't: we're really good at social inequality, too, and we're not giving up our place.
:twisted:
 

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Joined
Aug 7, 2001
Messages
55,235
Reaction score
9,052
Points
284
Got back to Falmouth this pm, joined others to wait for the bus home.

After a while, a bus driver came and asked which bus we were waiting for, and when we told him, he said "It's not coming. There's only one bus to cover the whole route!"

Fecking First should be arrested for impersonating a bus company! :evil:
 

Cherrybomb

Justified & Ancient
Joined
Aug 26, 2009
Messages
1,344
Reaction score
651
Points
129
Location
Sitting on the roof, at dusk.
rynner2 said:
Got back to Falmouth this pm, joined others to wait for the bus home.

After a while, a bus driver came and asked which bus we were waiting for, and when we told him, he said "It's not coming. There's only one bus to cover the whole route!"

Fecking First should be arrested for impersonating a bus company! :evil:
As should West Midlands Travel! :x
 

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Joined
Aug 7, 2001
Messages
55,235
Reaction score
9,052
Points
284
As First buses don't seem to respond to complaints made via their website, this time I've emailed the Passenger Transport Unit at Cornwall Council. I hope they can put some pressure on First, as the PTU is responsible for allocating the bus routes amongst the competing bus companies. (Sadly, First seems to have squeezed their only other rival, a much smaller company, out of this corner of Cornwall altogether. :evil: )
 

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Joined
Aug 7, 2001
Messages
55,235
Reaction score
9,052
Points
284
The PTU couldn't help me directly on my complaint, as the service concerned is a commercial one (not subsidized by the Council). But they did offer to forward my email to First management, which I agreed to.

This seems to have ruffled some feathers, as within 90 minutes I got two emails from First Customer Services, responding to this latest complaint, and another I made last week!

In both cases "This is currently being investigated and we hope to be in a position to respond to you within the next ten working days. Your ref number is xxxxx". Whoopee! I gotta reference number! :roll:

But what I really want is a reliable bus service... :(
 

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Joined
Oct 29, 2002
Messages
29,708
Reaction score
35,273
Points
309
Location
East of Suez
It's very difficult to piss up on someone, so if you can find someone with a higher position, it's always a good idea to ask them to piss down on your behalf.
 

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Joined
Aug 19, 2003
Messages
50,560
Reaction score
24,311
Points
284
Location
Eblana
theyithian said:
It's very difficult to piss up on someone, so if you can find someone with a higher position, it's always a good idea to ask them to piss down on your behalf.
If you get the email address of a CEO then you will get redress. Was having trouble with my bank 12 years ago, got the CEOs email, swiftly got satisfaction plus IR£100 compensation.
 

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Joined
Aug 7, 2001
Messages
55,235
Reaction score
9,052
Points
284
A chain of linked petty annoyances today. My electric meter ran out of credit this morning; although I have a system for topping up the key every Wednesday, it's oddly run out at least two days early.

In the rush to recharge the key before I went out, I left a Tesco coupon at home... Now I rarely spend £20+ in one go, but today I did - I could have got £2 off with the coupon! :evil:

Back home again, I found I had to log back in to FTMB because the computer didn't shut down properly when the power went off. But that didn't go smoothly either - I'd composed a longer version of this post, but when I tried to submit it, it disappeared - and I had to log in again! :(

This time, I'm going to save my post first...
 

Fluttermoth

Mrs Treguard
Joined
Feb 5, 2008
Messages
958
Reaction score
987
Points
109
I've had some workmen out to day to fix a loose tile on the roof.

This is the third time I've had someone round, and they still managed to come without the right ladders :roll:

Now I have to wait until the 21st! I've already been waiting six weeks for this to be fixed.

The first time, the HA sent a plumber :evil:
 

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Joined
Aug 25, 2001
Messages
30,149
Reaction score
16,341
Points
309
Fluttermoth said:
Now I have to wait until the 21st!
Come on, it's not the end of the world. Er, is it?
 

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
2,833
Reaction score
2,751
Points
169
My new irritation - blokes food shopping in t-shirts and shorts. It's -1 degree outside, do you think you are hard? Do you think it makes you look cool? Its not pajamas or 'onezies' I suppose, but you still look like a moron in this weather...and breathe...
 

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Joined
Sep 18, 2001
Messages
40,630
Reaction score
30,071
Points
309
Location
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Spudrick68 said:
My new irritation - blokes food shopping in t-shirts and shorts. It's -1 degree outside, do you think you are hard? Do you think it makes you look cool? Its not pajamas or 'onezies' I suppose, but you still look like a moron in this weather...and breathe...
Yeah - I saw a guy doing that yesterday. Weird.
 

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Joined
Aug 3, 2003
Messages
15,658
Reaction score
6,937
Points
284
As First buses don't seem to respond to complaints made via their website
You just reminded me of a complaint I made through their website about 18 months ago now, when a driver didn;t know the fare for my stop and wouldn;t charge the right one even after the two women behind me who were also going to the same stop told him... I do not think they respond ever!

Worst have got so much more reliable, since I started cycling everywhere you can almost guarantee one will come along right after I join the main road and dog me the entire fecking route.
 
Top