The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Thought it was just me who was absentminded.
On Sunday I gave my daughter the things I wanted to pay for at the selfserve at Big W And put back the large trolley they have there.
Wasn't till later when I was putting away all the shopping for the day I realised I had left a bag of tinsel and cards I'd bought elsewhere in the trolley which was opaque so you couldn't easily see at the back.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Thought it was just me who was absentminded.
On Sunday I gave my daughter the things I wanted to pay for at the selfserve at Big W And put back the large trolley they have there.
Wasn't till later when I was putting away all the shopping for the day I realised I had left a bag of tinsel and cards I'd bought elsewhere in the trolley which was opaque so you couldn't easily see at the back.
No offence but I served a woman who was so scatty today bless her .. but she took so long finding the extra 16p for her £4.16 bill .. it was: empties purse, drops money (not on the floor), retrieves money, gives me coins, drops them under the bag, retrieves coins, counts them out carefully twice to get to 16p, gets it wrong twice so I help her organise her change to 16p again, removes the coins that I got together to make 16p, returns the coins but not enough, returns the coins to get to 16p again but too much, returns the coins again but 10p over ... wrong of me I know but I just chucked it all in the till and said "Yeah .. that's right, thank you. "

She wasn't old .. she just didn't want to just surrender that 20p coin I kept looking at.

Last edited:

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I lost my glasses a couple of weeks ago. Never used them much but I do need new ones for reading smaller print. Specsavers here I come.
I went to Specsavers to get eye test/new glasses. I'd been using poundshop readers at + 1.5 to + 2 which were generally OK & about the right mag for my purposes. When I got the prescription glasses I was surprised to find they were +4! They were useless unless reading really close up. I eventually got them changed to + 2 but be warned if you go to them, the distance they use for determining reading glasses is 30 cm - about 1 ft. Why, I don't know. You'll have to tell them the length you generally read at or you'll get the same.

I went to Specsavers to get eye test/new glasses. I'd been using poundshop readers at + 1.5 to + 2 which were generally OK & about the right mag for my purposes. When I got the prescription glasses I was surprised to find they were +4! They were useless unless reading really close up. I eventually got them changed to + 2 but be warned if you go to them, the distance they use for determining reading glasses is 30 cm - about 1 ft. Why, I don't know. You'll have to tell them the length you generally read at or you'll get the same.
I reckon I usually hold papers/books about 1 foot away from my eyes!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Simultaneous whinge/unwhinge: the pound (sterling)!

I do a fair bit of moving money between my bank accounts and I can't ever recall it being so weak.

Since 2006 when I first moved overseas it has lost 35% of its value (against the currency here).

Prepare for price rises in the UK if this isn't a blip.

Lb8535

Ephemeral Spectre

I do a fair bit of moving money between my English bank account and I can't ever recall it being so weak.

Since 2006 when I first moved overseas it has lost 35% of its value (against the currency here).

It's a brief period of respite to us Americans that the whole world is sitting wondering what the hell you all are going to do next.

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
It's a brief period of respite to us Americans that the whole world is sitting wondering what the hell you all are going to do next.
Tell me about it! It's got to the stage now where I can't watch the TV news; I can cope with it - just about - in the papers and on the radio, but actually seeing it in front of me makes me angry, virtually instantly. (I think this is about as close to politics as I can get here!)

I do a fair bit of moving money between my English bank account and I can't ever recall it being so weak.

The Euro is too strong against the Pound Sterling but not strong enough against the US Dollar. I wish things would balance out.

Lb8535

Ephemeral Spectre
Tell me about it! It's got to the stage now where I can't watch the TV news; I can cope with it - just about - in the papers and on the radio, but actually seeing it in front of me makes me angry, virtually instantly. (I think this is about as close to politics as I can get here!)
Personally I find it very soothing to watch the West Wing.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
...I do a fair bit of moving money between my bank accounts ..

Always suspected he was one of them thar Capitalists.

INT21 ;)

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
Bit of a weird one today. I'm presently off work with stress, partly the result of trying to cope with my two elderly, sick parents. There are other issues as well, but that's what started things off, and it's generally been a pretty difficult year. And today took a very odd tack...

There have been a few occasions recently where my father has clearly wanted to tell me something, but with so much on my plate I suggested he talks to a counsellor; he was initially sceptical but in the end said he would do so (I thought it was to do with events when he was in the army in West Africa in the 1950s). Earlier this week he also asked me to contact the woman who helped draw up my parents' wills as he wanted to change his, but without me or my wife being present. We both jumped to the same conclusion - that he wanted to disinherit my brother (they're estranged at present mainly because my dad's acting like a complete idiot most of the time). Fortunately my dad said that wasn't the case. Phew, all relaxed on that front at least until today...

...when at a booze-accompanied Christmas lunch my dad blurted out the fact that I have a half-sibling of about my age (I'm 55), whose existence he was only informed of during the last year. THAT WAS A F***IN BOMBSHELL! I really didn't know how to process that, but it means that while my mother was having my brother and me, my dad was having an affair, and not being very careful. Thanks a lot! I knew he had 'had his moments', and that's being generous to him (it's not difficult reading between the lines when your dad's named as a co-respondent in a divorce case when you're a teenager) but that takes it all to a whole new level. Fuckity fuckity fuckity fuckity fuck!

INT21

Justified & Ancient
I never knew or looked into anything in my parents life.

Probably the best way to go.

The thing is, do you send a Christmas card ?

INT21.

Seriously, don't sweat it.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Damn ... That's a pretty significant fact to drop on you from out of the blue ...

My advice is to avoid second-guessing what his intentions may be with regard to changing his will. My guess is that you 'put 2 and 2 together' from recent events and assume he's wanting to add an heir. For all you know, he may be intending to explicitly block (e.g., via disinheritance) any claim the half-sibling may have on his estate. It can go any which way, and it's ultimately his decision alone.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
I wonder if he's absolutely sure the child is his?
Once, whilst visiting my elderly Father, I answered the phone and a woman asked if his middle name
was V..... I said that it was and she asked to speak to him,
When he went on another woman was there and she blurted out that he was her father.
My Father was very taken aback and explained that he was 86 years old and had never strayed from my Mother. He was very upset and wondered if someone had given his name to the mother at that earlier time.
Besides which his given names were for his mother's step grandfather and he was always known by another name .
He never heard from the woman again and we thought at the time she should have done more research before ringing someone randomly from the phone book.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
...I do a fair bit of moving money between my bank accounts ..

Always suspected he was one of them thar Capitalists.

INT21 ;)
Paying debts and National Insurance in the UK! That's an 'unwhinge': as all the time my foreign currency gets stronger and the pound gets weaker, the money I owe is shrinking in real terms.

Swifty

Bit of a weird one today. I'm presently off work with stress, partly the result of trying to cope with my two elderly, sick parents. There are other issues as well, but that's what started things off, and it's generally been a pretty difficult year. And today took a very odd tack...

There have been a few occasions recently where my father has clearly wanted to tell me something, but with so much on my plate I suggested he talks to a counsellor; he was initially sceptical but in the end said he would do so (I thought it was to do with events when he was in the army in West Africa in the 1950s). Earlier this week he also asked me to contact the woman who helped draw up my parents' wills as he wanted to change his, but without me or my wife being present. We both jumped to the same conclusion - that he wanted to disinherit my brother (they're estranged at present mainly because my dad's acting like a complete idiot most of the time). Fortunately my dad said that wasn't the case. Phew, all relaxed on that front at least until today...

...when at a booze-accompanied Christmas lunch my dad blurted out the fact that I have a half-sibling of about my age (I'm 55), whose existence he was only informed of during the last year. THAT WAS A F***IN BOMBSHELL! I really didn't know how to process that, but it means that while my mother was having my brother and me, my dad was having an affair, and not being very careful. Thanks a lot! I knew he had 'had his moments', and that's being generous to him (it's not difficult reading between the lines when your dad's named as a co-respondent in a divorce case when you're a teenager) but that takes it all to a whole new level. Fuckity fuckity fuckity fuckity fuck!
I had a phone call from Janette yesterday ..

Janette was my mum's best mate, she's known me since I was just a bump in my mum's tummy and she's been Aunty Janette ever since, she's known me for 45 years, she was asking how my mum was getting on because I took the initiative to phone her so we then called each other when we thought my mum might die this year .. the weird thing is, her husband Reg has been fighting cancer for about 10 years now and my mum ditched them .. end of .. she said it was because Reg was getting too bitter (that and my parents started a new life in France) so it was hard not to repeat that to Janette but I didn't and I won't. I told her my sister's the one to talk to these days what with my parents crashing at hers until they work out what to do next. She asked me about my dad, I told her I'd just asked him for a 20 quid bung and he'd refused, worse than that, he told my mum he was going to and just hasn't .. fair enough, it's his money not mine although I couldn't refrain from telling Janette and saying "my dad's always been a bit of a bastard anyway" .. she just chuckled and as tactfully as possible agreed.

I'm not holding my breath for anything being left to me in a will from my parents, I've already told them I don't want anything and that they should spend as much as possible on themselves (they've worked hard for it) and with whatever's left, leave it to my sister's kids. I'd only waste it on crap anyway. My dad once blurted out that I was a mistake pregnancy (after he'd burned loads of my stuff in our garden). Cheers dad. Classy.

Keep going cycleboy2 XX

Last edited:

Swifty

.. and it's cathartic to know I'm not the only one who's dad's a bit of a prick. To his credit, he did apologise to me once and explained that he'd never been a father before .. scratch that, he's a liar because my older sister came before me so yep, he's still a bit of a prick .. :) .. he's also come to the rescue a few times when I've been in some kind of danger and I've done the same for him, if he wasn't my dad, he's not the sort of man I'd go for a pint with though ..

Last edited:

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
I had a phone call from Janette yesterday ..

Janette was my mum's best mate, she's known me since I was just a bump in my mum's tummy and she's been Aunty Janette ever since, she's known me for 45 years, she was asking how my mum was getting on because I took the initiative to phone her so we then called each other when we thought my mum might die this year .. the weird thing is, her husband Reg has been fighting cancer for about 10 years now and my mum ditched them .. end of .. she said it was because Reg was getting too bitter (that and my parents started a new life in France) so it was hard not to repeat that to Janette but I didn't and I won't. I told her my sister's the one to talk to these days what with my parents crashing at hers until they work out what to do next. She asked me about my dad, I told her I'd just asked him for a 20 quid bung and he'd refused, worse than that, he told my mum he was going to and just hasn't .. fair enough, it's his money not mine although I couldn't refrain from telling Janette and saying "my dad's always been a bit of a bastard anyway" .. she just chuckled and as tactfully as possible agreed.

I'm not holding my breath for anything being left to me in a will from my parents, I've already told them I don't want anything and that they should spend as much as possible on themselves (they've worked hard for it) and with whatever's left, leave it to my sister's kids. I'd only waste it on crap anyway. My dad once blurted out that I was a mistake pregnancy (after he'd burned loads of my stuff in our garden). Cheers dad. Classy.

Keep going cycleboy2 XX
Life, eh? Families, eh? Like you, my brother and me told my parents for years to spend their money - it's theirs, they'd worked hard for it - but sadly now they're too ill and frail to enjoy it. And that was before we knew how much money they actually had. A life time of saving meant there's a lot more money than we or they expected to find - partly because there were 15-20 ISAs! Sheer madness.

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
.. and it's cathartic to know I'm not the only one who's dad's a bit of a prick.
It's not so much him having an affair, that was no surprise - but having an affair around the time my mum was having two kids, that staggered even me! It's come back to haunt him now, though I've no idea of the circumstances behind him only just finding out about his other progeny in the last year, but it has the potential to do vast amount of harm to the family. And if he wants to be well thought of when he goes, he's got to do some serious thinking.

Swifty

Life, eh? Families, eh? Like you, my brother and me told my parents for years to spend their money - it's theirs, they'd worked hard for it - but sadly now they're too ill and frail to enjoy it. And that was before we knew how much money they actually had. A life time of saving meant there's a lot more money than we or they expected to find - partly because there were 15-20 ISAs! Sheer madness.
Being old a frail now, the money they've thankfully got saved will be eaten up incredibly quickly with the expense of care homes, electric beds and other gadgets .. not trying to depress you or anything, quite the opposite in fact .. that cash will help them big time now.