The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Ringo

Sanitised for your protection
but it has the potential to do vast amount of harm to the family. And if he wants to be well thought of when he goes, he's got to do some serious thinking.
Choppy seas don't last forever, cycleboy2. Keep on keepin' on. Whenever I am under, I always console myself with the cliche "This too shall pass". How is your Mum taking it?

Families, eh. Been there, done that, you can stick'em.
Sounds a bit bitter, Scargy. They're not always bad.

Last edited:

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Sounds a bit bitter, Scargy. They're not always bad.
Hm. I've an extended family of some 23? 25? cousins. I've never met six of them at all due to 'schisms'. Two I've not seem for 35 years due to a bitter divorce. About fifteen or so I've never even met. At least six of the reminder are complete and utter self-serving weasels. At least 4 of my aunts would stab you in the back as soon as look at you. Two of them have tried. One of those complained to me about how my mother dropped her in the sticky stuff regarding the care of their mother. I apologised for my mother's terminal cancer causing her such inconvenience (I'm not joking). I may have been a tinge sarcastic. Only two of them went to their mother's funeral. One of those didn't come to my mother's funeral. One did, none of the others (six) bothered. Two of said aunts defrauded me of several thousand pounds, just enough that it was annoying not so much it was worth court action to get it back. Bunch of shites. I keep in touch with one of my father's brothers, a gentle soul and two of my cousins, and only one of those with any regularity. I'm sure there are nice families. And compared with some here, mine are a breeze. But only because I don't have any contact with them...

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
Being old a frail now, the money they've thankfully got saved will be eaten up incredibly quickly with the expense of care homes, electric beds and other gadgets .. not trying to depress you or anything, quite the opposite in fact .. that cash will help them big time now.
No, that shouldn't be the case - thanks to us. We have power of attorney and my wife, who works for a financial adviser, sorted their finances out a while ago - taking advice and moving virtually of their savings into Prudential Bonds, which can't be taken into account when their finances are assessed for healthcare, as it has a life insurance element (or something like that - I'm not the financial brains!).

If we hadn't done this, my mother's three-times-a-day carer visits would be paid for by her. This is saving her c£1000 a month and the same will be true if either of my parents need to go into a home (and yes, my dad still bitches about the cost of the financial advice, even if it could save them the thick end of £100K!! Talk about ungrateful!?!). My parents' house is owned jointly and equally by them, my brother and me so that can't be sold to pay for their care - my brother and I may have to pay tax on it at some point, but it can't be sold. I advise my younger friends to get advice on this ASAP if they have elderly parents, as it could save them a fortune.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Spent part of the morning at the only kind of family get together we have. A funeral.

No problems. but a bit strange in that it was completely secular. No hint of religion at all.

Only blot on the scene was that the person running the service kept referring to the deceased as 'William'.

Everyone knew him as 'Willy'. 'Oor Wully'. He was from Glasgow.

INT21.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Spent part of the morning at the only kind of family get together we have. A funeral.

No problems. but a bit strange in that it was completely secular. No hint of religion at all.

Only blot on the scene was that the person running the service kept referring to the deceased as 'William'.

Everyone knew him as 'Willy'. 'Oor Wully'. He was from Glasgow.

INT21.
My family have EPIC funerals/wakes/piss-ups and they're usually secular. One uncle stipulated that mourners should dance down the aisle and out of the crem, which we did.

Another was so vehemently opposed to any mention of religion that his nominated funeral-speakers just gave little speeches of praise for him. He'd've blushed! We left the crem to 'So Long, It's Been Good To Know Ya!'

My family have EPIC funerals/wakes/piss-ups and they're usually secular. One uncle stipulated that mourners should dance down the aisle and out of the crem, which we did.

Another was so vehemently opposed to any mention of religion that his nominated funeral-speakers just gave little speeches of praise for him. He'd've blushed! We left the crem to 'So Long, It's Been Good To Know Ya!'
I want Michael Flatley to dance on my grave whilst singing the Pagan version of Lord Of The Dance.

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
I was dumb and thought I would be okay to skip a proper breakfast before I went to the gym because I really didn't want to eat. Ended up seeing stars on my deadlift working sets. Still got everything done but lesson learned I suppose

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I was dumb and thought I would be okay to skip a proper breakfast before I went to the gym because I really didn't want to eat. Ended up seeing stars on my deadlift working sets. Still got everything done but lesson learned I suppose
Carry about some dextrose tablets. I do, because I am diabetic - but it may be useful for you too.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
My whinge...
Well, I can see why the retail sector is dying and the online sector is taking over.
Earlier, I went to Currys PCWorld in Bedford to buy a top of the line (eye-wateringly expensive) laptop. I thought 'OK, it won't be in stock, so I'll get them to order one in'. Errr....no. That laptop is only available as an Internet purchase.
First off - I asked 2 young female assistants to help with my purchase. They were with Carphone Warehouse and couldn't help with laptops.
Young male assistant I spoke to called me 'mate'. WTF. Told me they couldn't order the laptop in, sorry.
Last thing, I took a copy of Norton to the till. Young assistant told me that the tills weren't working. I said 'OK, I'll just leave this here' and I put down the copy of Norton - then I walked out.
I have ordered the laptop from Amazon. Can't be arsed with shops now.

My whinge...
Well, I can see why the retail sector is dying and the online sector is taking over.
Earlier, I went to Currys PCWorld in Bedford to buy a top of the line (eye-wateringly expensive) laptop. I thought 'OK, it won't be in stock, so I'll get them to order one in'. Errr....no. That laptop is only available as an Internet purchase.
First off - I asked 2 young female assistants to help with my purchase. They were with Carphone Warehouse and couldn't help with laptops.
Young male assistant I spoke to called me 'mate'. WTF. Told me they couldn't order the laptop in, sorry.
Last thing, I took a copy of Norton to the till. Young assistant told me that the tills weren't working. I said 'OK, I'll just leave this here' and I put down the copy of Norton - then I walked out.
I have ordered the laptop from Amazon. Can't be arsed with shops now.
I have to admit that Currys PCWorld in the Jervis Centre in Dublin works better, the assistants are usually quite knowledgeable.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Last week I had a water leak in my admittedly old car.
The mechanic came 2 days later and said he needed to order a new water pump which he couldn't get till Thursday.
He spent 4 hours because after he installed it found the leak was in the manifold gasket.
Spent 4 hours yesterday trying to fix it and couldn't.
Says he will try to get a second hand part as he can't get a new one till next Thursday because of new year. Will tell me Monday what is happening so no car still.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
I have finally decided to stop reading the Daily Mail. I think it was damaging my health.
I've not read a newspaper for years. I used to get The Telegraph, but only for the crossword and occasional Sudoku. Then I bought the books of cryptic crosswords and Suduko and found I didn't need the paper...