The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Can everyone remember when you just pressed the on button after remote controls were invented and you then had to press perhaps two or three buttons to start watching television .. moving images on your screen that you didn't mostly care about back then either but it was relaxing to have noise in the background or something to just visually zone out to ..

TV is so fiddly to watch these days and I'm not even an old man, I'm only middle aged but these remote controls have convinced themselves they're NASA control nowadays, I used to chuckle at old people in the 80's who couldn't get on with them, I used to know how to set a video recorder and much more but contemporary TV is incredibly un user friendly to me .. the only reason I've just switched our TV off is because the remote was being so awkward, I was waiting for a message to flash up on the screen telling me "stand on your left leg and then pat your head while rubbing your tummy in a circle" ..

When is someone going to bring a retro remote back onto the market so I can just press the ON button and then the 1,2,3 or four button? .. that's surely got to be a kickstarter idea worth investing in ..

.. and it's not that I'm incapable of being a servant to a modern remote control, I'm unwilling to be because for me, TV has always been a tool used to unwind so why should I/we have to jump through all of the hoops these days? ..

Last edited:

Tigerhawk

Resistance is futile!
It's the middle of summer, in the middle of a heatwave, and due to a burst water mains nearby, there is no running water at all. I tried to make a cup of tea earlier and when no water came out of the faucet, I knew something was wrong. Looked up online and found out the problem, but I want my cup of tea now!

Swifty

This is really good news: Swifty is moving on up to be the new rynner!

Now . . .

Sits. Vac. [when did you last see that?] Cromer. Person required to take on all duties in Cromer. Must like Cromer and duties therein.

Sorted. :)
There's only one Rynner .. did you see the Cromer gag Tribble made for B3TA by the way ? .. this is starting to get out of control ..

Attachments

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Can everyone remember when you just pressed the on button after remote controls were invented and you then had to press perhaps two or three buttons to start watching television .. moving images on your screen that you didn't mostly care about back then either but it was relaxing to have noise in the background or something to just visually zone out to ..

TV is so fiddly to watch these days and I'm not even an old man, I'm only middle aged but these remote controls have convinced themselves they're NASA control nowadays, I used to chuckle at old people in the 80's who couldn't get on with them, I used to know how to set a video recorder and much more but contemporary TV is incredibly un user friendly to me .. the only reason I've just switched our TV off is because the remote was being so awkward, I was waiting for a message to flash up on the screen telling me "stand on your left leg and then pat your head while rubbing your tummy in a circle" ..

When is someone going to bring a retro remote back onto the market so I can just press the ON button and then the 1,2,3 or four button? .. that's surely got to be a kickstarter idea worth investing in ..

.. and it's not that I'm incapable of being a servant to a modern remote control, I'm unwilling to be because for me, TV has always been a tool used to unwind so why should I/we have to jump through all of the hoops these days? ..
You could buy a One For All universal remote and program it to do all the necessary. Just a suggestion.

Tigerhawk

Resistance is futile!
It's the middle of summer, in the middle of a heatwave, and due to a burst water mains nearby, there is no running water at all. I tried to make a cup of tea earlier and when no water came out of the faucet, I knew something was wrong. Looked up online and found out the problem, but I want my cup of tea now!
Normal Services Resumed about an hour after I posted, so my sacrifice to Mothman clearly helped...

escargot

Beloved of Ra

Yup, we have the full Sky works along with the over-complicated remote. My usual desperate tactic of pressing all the buttons in turn just doesn't work any more.

Asking Techy doesn't help either.

'Press 'right'. No, the other 'right!''

'How about I press it out of the window?'

catseye

For the greater good
Having another 'boo hoo' moment. My daughter, who lives out in Oz, and who's been over here for a month having travelled back with me after my two weeks out there, flies back tomorrow. We've had six weeks together, after two years' separation (bar one two week holiday in Jan) and I won't now see her again (in real life, there's Messenger, obviously) until 2020.

I always think I will be philosophical and glad to get my routine back to normal. She's not my only child, the others are all still geographically and emotionally very close to me, but no matter how I reason it, I am still a snotty mess at the very thought of her going away again. She has a fab life out there, a boyfriend a job and a dog, so she is very happy to be returning. I miss her. That is all.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Wow lot of people really want hmv to go under and the same old streaming is better than having film and music on disk but what those people don't get is they are paying a monthly subscription which works out more then buying on disk that you buy once.

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman

We presently have 6 remotes for various purposes on the coffee table between us. Incidentally, our smart phones can also control our smart t.v if we so desire as well as our smart air con, smart microwave and smart refrigerator (if we had one). We have not traveled down this road so far.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.

I have to do a telephone helpline whenever my mum uses the remote for anything other than switching the telly on. "What thing do I press on the thing so I can use the thing?"

She's got a habit of just pressing buttons at random and ending up with a menu screen and then I have to go to her place to set things back to normal. Mind you it's taken her long enough to learn to press the buttons, she used to just wave the remote in front of the TV and then complain it wasn't working.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I have to do a telephone helpline whenever my mum uses the remote for anything other than switching the telly on. "What thing do I press on the thing so I can use the thing?"

She's got a habit of just pressing buttons at random and ending up with a menu screen and then I have to go to her place to set things back to normal. Mind you it's taken her long enough to learn to press the buttons, she used to just wave the remote in front of the TV and then complain it wasn't working.
My parents are the same.
I had to write a sheet of dumbed-down instructions for them.

Bigphoot2

My parents are the same.
I had to write a sheet of dumbed-down instructions for them.
That would be wasted on my mum as she knows best. No matter what I tell her, she'll insist I'm wrong -I've only had a career in AV work so what do I know about using a remote to change channels? Then someone will come along and tell her exactly what I've been telling her and she'll turn to me and say "See, that's how you do it. Why didn't you tell me?"

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
That would be wasted on my mum as she knows best. No matter what I tell her, she'll insist I'm wrong -I've only had a career in AV work so what do I know about using a remote to change channels? Then someone will come along and tell her exactly what I've been telling her and she'll turn to me and say "See, that's how you do it. Why didn't you tell me?"
Our youngest son was (sometimes still is) like that. We can give all the sagely advice based on experience, previous success or failure and he just won't believe it. Someone, even a complete stranger can come along offering the same suggestions or information and he's all ears. Then of course, we're to blame for not having imparted this knowledge to him previously. Kids (and in your case, parents), who'd have 'em?

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman

Yeah, I have to use 2 remotes in a particular order to watch TV, and the "smart" set top box one is anything but. And also why does my bastard TV (or maybe the set top box? I don't even know) like to turn itself off? There's a quick flash up of a message and then it's off, way too quick to pull up the remote, then find the right remote, then angle it right to select the keep TV on option, then I have to go through the start up procedure all over again

Bigphoot2

What annoys me about my collection of remotes is that the buttons are so bloody sensitive. It just needs a very small greenfly to fart within fifteen feet of one and the telly jumps to another channel or one gets stuck between two cushions and just happens to land in a position where a cushion presses on the up part of the rocker switch that controls the volume and it's perforated eardrums all round.

Swifty

Yeah, I have to use 2 remotes in a particular order to watch TV, and the "smart" set top box one is anything but. And also why does my bastard TV (or maybe the set top box? I don't even know) like to turn itself off? There's a quick flash up of a message and then it's off, way too quick to pull up the remote, then find the right remote, then angle it right to select the keep TV on option, then I have to go through the start up procedure all over again
Absolutely mate .. I couldn't have put all of that any better.

Bigphoot2

Have you checked the settings menu? There might be an energy saving function that switches it off after a while - chances are it'll be hidden away in some obscure sub-menu.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
There's a quick flash up of a message and then it's off,
Mine gives me sixty seconds and it pops up after 3 hours, regardless of what I am viewing. Last time I investigated the settings, I found the options were 1 hour, 2 hours or 3. I couldn't opt out!

I think these horrible, user-unfriendly features have to be engineered into sets to tick energy-saving boxes. My computer will also time itself out - though that tends to be activity-dependent. Between them, they conspire to go down when I venture to treat myself to a pee or a tea. :frust:

Last edited:

Bigphoot2

Mine gives me sixty seconds and it pops up after 3 hours, regardless of what you are viewing. Last time I investigated the settings, I found the options were 1 hour, 2 hours or 3. You can't opt out!

I think these horrible user-unfriendly features have to be engineered into sets to tick energy-saving boxes. My computer will also time itself out - though that tends to be activity-dependent. Between them, they conspire to go down when I venture to treat myself to a pee or a tea. :frust:
The first thing I do with a new TV is switch off all the features - especially the horrible movie mode (each manufacturer will have a different name for it) which basically makes a multi-million dollar movie look like it was shot on Uncle Bob's camcorder.
It might be worth having another look at the settings - the opt-out setting may not be in an obvious place.

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
Have you checked the settings menu? There might be an energy saving function that switches it off after a while - chances are it'll be hidden away in some obscure sub-menu.
I have been in every menu possible and for the life of me, even a hunt online hasn't turned anything up. It drives me mad sometimes

Bigphoot2

I have been in every menu possible and for the life of me, even a hunt online hasn't turned anything up. It drives me mad sometimes
Makes you wonder if these people ever use their product. Reminds me of the time a few years back when I was looking for a new TV. I asked a casual acquaintance who worked in Sony shop what their TVs were like. His reply, "Put it this way, nobody in the shop owns one."

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Makes you wonder if these people ever use their product. Reminds me of the time a few years back when I was looking for a new TV. I asked a casual acquaintance who worked in Sony shop what their TVs were like. His reply, "Put it this way, nobody in the shop owns one."
Too bloody expensive probably. Sony make decent tvs from what I've seen but they're not cheap, & probably not that affordable for your average sales assistant.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
My mice are back after a break of several months when they've been on holiday down the road - I've seen one, very small, probably a young one, & I found a tiny one almost dead on the floor. Traps are set with peanut butter but so far no action.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I empathise. My tenth of the current batch did away with itself when I was away for the holiday, so I don't know if I should call it Eve, Noël or Boxer.

I need to rebait my traps; I suspect they are still lurking. :sherlock: