The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
We live in an older house in the country so occasionally we get visited by a few mice. My no fail strategy has always been to use peanut butter like you, but to bait two traps side by side with each other so if a mouse successfully eats the bait off one without setting off the trap, the second one will always get it. Works every time.

Tigerhawk

Resistance is futile!
I remember once putting down traps, and about 10 one night as we watched some TV drama or other, there was this mighty snap, which made us all jump. When we checked the trap, the mouse began writhing about in its death throws and would do so for the next hour. Creepy as F...., but the poor thing did die eventually, after going quiet for a few minutes, then noisey thrashing, then quiet, etc.

Bigphoot2

Carbon Based Infestation
Too bloody expensive probably. Sony make decent tvs from what I've seen but they're not cheap, & probably not that affordable for your average sales assistant.
I've had reliability issues with the few Sony products I've used over the years - couple of VCRs and camcorders. At work and at home we used Samsung and Panasonic equipment and never had any problems with them.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
I remember once putting down traps, and about 10 one night as we watched some TV drama or other, there was this mighty snap, which made us all jump. When we checked the trap, the mouse began writhing about in its death throws and would do so for the next hour. Creepy as F...., but the poor thing did die eventually, after going quiet for a few minutes, then noisey thrashing, then quiet, etc.
Wow that's just cruel shame on you.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Poor thing, you should have spared it that. Maybe flushed it.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I empathise. My tenth of the current batch did away with itself when I was away for the holiday, so I don't know if I should call it Eve, Noël or Boxer.

I need to rebait my traps; I suspect they are still lurking. :sherlock:
10? bloody hell!

We live in an older house in the country so occasionally we get visited by a few mice. My no fail strategy has always been to use peanut butter like you, but to bait two traps side by side with each other so if a mouse successfully eats the bait off one without setting off the trap, the second one will always get it. Works every time.
This sounds like a good idea - I'll give it a go.

Tigerhawk

Resistance is futile!
Christ man you should've put it out of it's misery. Drown it or tie it up in a plastic bag and gas it using a car exhaust.
Poor thing, you should have spared it that. Maybe flushed it.
Conk on the head with a spoon would of been quicker.
Thank you everyone for making me feel guilty, we did think it was dead to begin with, and every time it stopped moving. Besides, as if breaking its neck isn't cruel or a miserable way to go, but to drown it, or gas it or conk its head in would add to its misery. There's an unexpected mean streak in this thread I don't like the looks of...

(Myself included, before anyone protests!)

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
I have had to on a few rare occasions when a trap failed to kill instantly, render the coup de grace to a mortally wounded rodent. A rolled up newspaper will kill a mouse without bloodshed with one swift blow.
It's unpleasant and upsetting, yet puts the poor creature out of it's misery instantly. You just have to deliver the blow decisively.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Sorry Tiger didn't set out to make u feel bad. I was bought up in the country where you put things out of their misery usually with a spade. Honestly drowning is pretty quick if you don't feel up to hitting things.

I must say the older I get the harder it is to kill anything and I'd go hunting as a kid and wouldn't think twice about pulling a trigger. I have a mate who's a few years older than me who feels the same. His rifle is only ever used to kill the odd sick sheep. He never goes hunting now.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Bugger .. my keyboard's jammed so I'm writing this from our local tourist information building untill I can get a USB keyboard. On the plus side, I won't be posting much until that happens so I can rediscover what it's like to go out of my front door more often.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Presume you have done all the usual unplugging and plugging back in again, which usually clears USB glitches?

On the positive side, you can usually find a new one for next to nothing. Good luck! :comphit:
I did all that and more. It turned out my keyboard was bolloxed so I've got new one. I was reduced to watching TV last night.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Last night I started having a dry cough/sore throat and went to work this morning pretty well dosed-up, with a load of yellow cough sweets to hand. Thought I was doing OK until my upper back suddenly seized up. Like a big spasm, couldn't even straighten up to walk and it hurt to breathe. Rang my boss and told him I was doing one ASAP.

So I'm now on t'sofa with an ice pack on the affected part. It's OK when I'm still but walking is agony. Hoping it's a pulled muscle rather than one of the scarier possibilities.

Last night I started having a dry cough/sore throat and went to work this morning pretty well dosed-up, with a load of yellow cough sweets to hand. Thought I was doing OK until my upper back suddenly seized up. Like a big spasm, couldn't even straighten up to walk and it hurt to breathe. Rang my boss and told him I was doing one ASAP.

So I'm now on t'sofa with an ice pack on the affected part. It's OK when I'm still but walking is agony. Hoping it's a pulled muscle rather than one of the scarier possibilities.
Take care, I've had that type of spasm, might be related to cold and the way you hold yourself to ease the symptoms.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
seem to have got the vomiting thing :(
Make up some rehydration drink. There are recipes online. It's good for both vomiting & diarrhoea bugs. Being dehydrated is partly what makes you feel rough.

Take care, I've had that type of spasm, might be related to cold and the way you hold yourself to ease the symptoms.
Please tell me more! How long does it last? What makes it go away? Will it come back? etc

Make up some rehydration drink. There are recipes online. It's good for both vomiting & diarrhoea bugs. Being dehydrated

Please tell me more! How long does it last? What makes it go away? Will it come back? etc
Been a while since it happened but I think stretching my should muscles helped, the worst of it was gone within a day or two. If it lasts any longer then you may have pulled something, doctor time.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Been a while since it happened but I think stretching my should muscles helped, the worst of it was gone within a day or two. If it lasts any longer then you may have pulled something, doctor time.
Thank you! Not sure I'm going to work tomorrow. Supposed to ring the doctor at 8am. Probably won't get through. You'd die of summat before you see one at our surgery.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Make up some rehydration drink. There are recipes online. It's good for both vomiting & diarrhoea bugs. Being dehydrated is partly what makes you feel rough.

I get this sometimes. I get mrs coal to gently roll a fives ball on my back until the spasm is located and then lean on it until the muscle stretches a bit, then let go suddenly. It can hurt but it generally breaks the cycle. Warning: I'm not an osteopath, on you own head as it were.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I get this sometimes. I get mrs coal to gently roll a fives ball on my back until the spasm is located and then lean on it until the muscle stretches a bit, then let go suddenly. It can hurt but it generally breaks the cycle. Warning: I'm not an osteopath, on you own head as it were.
Used to get lower back pain from doing heavy work and Techy'd take care of it, but this is high up, between my shoulders. Feels like a knife in me spine, never had anything like it. So it's a muscle spasm? What causes that then?

Your treatment sounds good, thank you!