The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Used to get lower back pain from doing heavy work and Techy'd take care of it, but this is high up, between my shoulders. Feels like a knife in me spine, never had anything like it. So it's a muscle spasm? What causes that then?

Your treatment sounds good, thank you!
Drink some of that Budvar!

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites
seem to have got the vomiting thing :(
I phoned the Surgery for advice when my elderly father got the Winter Vomiting bug. Two lines of advice from the GP: first, don't you dare come in and give it to me. Secondly, take Solpadeine Max or any-over-the-counter tabs containing morphine (as co-codamol) as this eases any stomach pain and also 'bungs' you up a bit.
Dioralyte is good for re-hydration.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Take the spine out and plug it back in again! Always works! - Except when you need a new one.

It may need checking-out but the most dramatic pains are usually nerves and spasms.

No consolation, when they are at their most horrid! Wishing you well! :)

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Is that what we used to call a medicine ball ?

Heavy leather thingy.

INT21.

Peripart

Antediluvian
Is that what we used to call a medicine ball ?

Heavy leather thingy.

INT21.
No, it's a small hard rubber ball (from memory, perhaps very slightly bigger than a golf ball). The game of fives resembles squash, but you hit the ball with a gloved hand rather than a racket. Also, there's no back wall. And a step halfway across the court. And, for no good reason, a buttress sticking out.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
No, it's a small hard rubber ball (from memory, perhaps very slightly bigger than a golf ball). The game of fives resembles squash, but you hit the ball with a gloved hand rather than a racket. Also, there's no back wall. And a step halfway across the court. And, for no good reason, a buttress sticking out.
That's the game. Quite good at in my youth. You didn't mention the 'up' line is a 45 degree 5" ledge...plus you need to use both hands.

Tigerhawk

Resistance is futile!
Went to see Aquaman at the movies. Decent movie, good special effects. Twenty minutes into the movie, two people arrive, and since they want to sit together in an almost empty theatre, instead of finding two seats together, insist I move one seat along (there was an empty seat on either side of me), then they spent the rest of the movie endlessly tweeting on their phones. Even the Death Glare I gave them failed to work, since they were too focused on their phones to pay attention.

Last edited:

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Went to see Aquaman at the movies. Decent movie, good special effects. Twenty minutes into the movie, two people arrive, an since they want to sit together in an almost empty theatre, instead of finding two seats together, insist I move one seat along (there was an empty seat on either side of me), then they spent the rest of the movie endlessly tweeting on their phones. Even the Death Glare I gave them failed to work, since they were too focused on their phones to pay attention.
Probably hiding out for a while having just committed a crime outside & checking phones to see whether the police were looking for them.

It's weird people go to shows then pay no attention to them. I was at a Bob Dylan gig going back a few years & there were 2 guys a few rows in front who talked LOUDLY to each other from the off - they had to shout to get over the music volume - until they were asked to shut the fuck up.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Went to see Aquaman at the movies. Decent movie, good special effects. Twenty minutes into the movie, two people arrive, an since they want to sit together in an almost empty theatre, instead of finding two seats together, insist I move one seat along (there was an empty seat on either side of me), then they spent the rest of the movie endlessly tweeting on their phones. Even the Death Glare I gave them failed to work, since they were too focused on their phones to pay attention.
There's a reason why I watch all films at home.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Christ that must have been annoying .. I'm pissed of with them on your behalf and I wasn't even there ..

I went with my best mate to see an Evil Dead/ Evil Dead 2 double bill in the early 90's ... then some punks (genuine English punks, not the American 'That guy's a punk!") decided to sit in front of us, again nearly an empty cinema, and then chat through the whole thing .. except they didn't because The Evil Dead was (and remains) my all time favourite film so I found the manager and they were thrown out instead. Fuckers.

edit: genuine pic from that same night, that's me in silhouette before I was pissed off with the punks.

aEvilDeadTamworth.jpg

Last edited:

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Went to see Aquaman at the movies. Decent movie, good special effects. Twenty minutes into the movie, two people arrive, and since they want to sit together in an almost empty theatre, instead of finding two seats together, insist I move one seat along (there was an empty seat on either side of me), then they spent the rest of the movie endlessly tweeting on their phones. Even the Death Glare I gave them failed to work, since they were too focused on their phones to pay attention.
Probably hiding out for a while having just committed a crime outside & checking phones to see whether the police were looking for them.
While committing a crime inside!

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
Lukozade - why so many varients? Due to me being an idiot in a hurry, I'm forever ending up with Lukozade Orange. Lukozade is Lukozade, and it really should be in a bottle with an orange film covering it to catch the sticky. It was the pleasure of being sick in the 70s!

There was another complaint but I've caught the hiccups and forgotten because, sod it, my sucrose drink of choice wasn't my actually sucrose drink of choice :frust:

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I am the QUEEN of cinema-annoyance. Anecdote time -

When Chariots of Fire came out the then Mr and I dumped the kids on the old dear one afternoon and went to see it. Place was nearly empty. We went upstairs and noticed my sister and her husband sitting downstairs directly underneath.

We had a big bag of food and drinks so for the entire showing we dropped litter on them from the balcony. Orange peel, sweet wrappers, tissues, little juice cartons, shells off monkey nuts, you name it.

I thought they'd move, or at least look up and recognise us, but they didn't. Bro in Law was stubbornly insisting they kept to their seats because 'Those little bastards aren't driving ME out!' or summat.

At the end The Mr and I legged it, giggling, leaving Sis and Bro in Law surrounded by rubbish. Bro in Law was APOPLECTIC with rage and never shut up about it for years. I assumed they knew who'd done it, but they didn't.

I finally told Sis about 10 years ago. She said it'd been one of the worse days of his life - him being a self-righteous prat an' all, y'know - and still brought it up several times a year as an example of the total corruption of Today's Youth. Not sure if she ever told him!

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I was wondering with the sugar tax how Lucozade could reduce its glucose content and still be Lucozade ?
Used to be very popular down my Pub.
I've read that some diabetics are unimpressed with the new low-sugar Lucozade formula because they use it to help manage their condition. A low-sugar version is no good for this.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I've read that some diabetics are unimpressed with the new low-sugar Lucozade formula because they use it to help manage their condition. A low-sugar version is no good for this.
Yes, my Dad keeps a bottle of it next to his bed in case he gets a low sugar attack.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
escargot said:

Two hands and one ball. Rubbed all over your back.

Sounds a bit naughty.

Mythopoeika,

Your thinking of the 'two balls and one hand' version. Different rules apply.

INT21.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Escargot,

..Not sure if she ever told him! ..

Maybe you should pick just the right moment at a family reunion and bring him up to date. I'm sure your sister would be eternally grateful.

INT21.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I am the QUEEN of cinema-annoyance. Anecdote time -

When Chariots of Fire came out the then Mr and I dumped the kids on the old dear one afternoon and went to see it. Place was nearly empty. We went upstairs and noticed my sister and her husband sitting downstairs directly underneath.

We had a big bag of food and drinks so for the entire showing we dropped litter on them from the balcony. Orange peel, sweet wrappers, tissues, little juice cartons, shells off monkey nuts, you name it.

I thought they'd move, or at least look up and recognise us, but they didn't. Bro in Law was stubbornly insisting they kept to their seats because 'Those little bastards aren't driving ME out!' or summat.

At the end The Mr and I legged it, giggling, leaving Sis and Bro in Law surrounded by rubbish. Bro in Law was APOPLECTIC with rage and never shut up about it for years. I assumed they knew who'd done it, but they didn't.

I finally told Sis about 10 years ago. She said it'd been one of the worse days of his life - him being a self-righteous prat an' all, y'know - and still brought it up several times a year as an example of the total corruption of Today's Youth. Not sure if she ever told him!
I remember going to the cinema with some mates when Octopussy came out, I'd have been about ten and one of us bought some rubber johnnys from the gents toilet, we were blowing them up and patting them off the balcony so they were bouncing off the heads of the people below.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
My wife buying an air-fryer for the kitchen that I don't need and will take up space in a tiny kitchen I'm trying to de-clutter. I cook pretty much every day and looked at them months ago and thought I didn't need one.

It doesn't even help with what I usually cook.

Tigerhawk

Resistance is futile!
"The Met Office said: 'winter's here now properly' as temperatures plunged as low as -12C in some parts of the UK this morning"... :mad:
Yeah, well, parts of Australia have had temperatures up to 47 C, and more heatwave conditions for next week, so I'd rather be cold than boiling hot!