The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

graylien

Justified & Ancient
So the front door bell fell off the door on the Saturday before last. The sticky back has obviously degraded.

I email the landlady and offer to stick it back on myself with glue. But no, that won't do. She'll send her maintenance man over on Monday morning to stick it back on.

He does so. An hour later the doorbell falls straight off again.

Then the guy in the next door flat rings up the landlady on Monday afternoon. Again, she promises she'll get it fixed right away. Instead it's just lying on the doorstep all week.

Yesterday I notice someone has brought it inside and it's now lying on the floor in the hall.

I calculate the landlady collects £2,881 from this house each month. You can go just down the road to Hobby craft and buy a multipack of sticky pads specifically designed for outdoor use for £2.99.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Small and oblique whinge:

There's a significant difference between being capable of working fast without compromising standards when necessary and being expected to work fast at all times because you can and often do.

Some people do not appreciate this difference.
Sometimes I'm asked to do the washing up where I work .. the head chef and the managers have asked me why I'm able to 100% clear a room twice as fast as anyone else. My answers have ranged from "fuck knows?" when I'm busy to "because I'm awesome" when I'm joking around ..

The truth is, they don't use hot enough water or enough detergent, two elements that aren't exactly rocket science when you're washing dishes but these two factors still seem to elude them even though I've repeatedly shown them. Christ! .. the hot water and detergent does all the work for you lads!? .. the good news is, I'm getting paid for this easy work, the bad news is the company has cottoned on so sometimes they get me in to do the washing up in two rooms now so they can save costs on having to pay a co worker so I've made a rod for my own back there .. or secured a second overtime job ..

So the front door bell fell off the door on the Saturday before last. The sticky back has obviously degraded.

I email the landlady and offer to stick it back on myself with glue. But no, that won't do. She'll send her maintenance man over on Monday morning to stick it back on.

He does so. An hour later the doorbell falls straight off again.

Then the guy in the next door flat rings up the landlady on Monday afternoon. Again, she promises she'll get it fixed right away. Instead it's just lying on the doorstep all week.

Yesterday I notice someone has brought it inside and it's now lying on the floor in the hall.

I calculate the landlady collects £2,881 from this house each month. You can go just down the road to Hobby craft and buy a multipack of sticky pads specifically designed for outdoor use for £2.99.
What you need is a rear view (windscreen) mirror fixing kit from Halfords. That'll stick it up forever, for about a fiver.

Sometimes I'm asked to do the washing up where I work .. the head chef and the managers have asked me why I'm able to 100% clear a room twice as fast as anyone else. My answers have ranged from "fuck knows?" when I'm busy to "because I'm awesome" when I'm joking around ..

The truth is, they don't use hot enough water or enough detergent, two elements that aren't exactly rocket science when you're washing dishes but these two factors still seem to elude them even though I've repeatedly shown them. Christ! .. the hot water and detergent does all the work for you lads!? .. the good news is, I'm getting paid for this easy work, the bad news is the company has cottoned on so sometimes they get me in to do the washing up in two rooms now so they can save costs on having to pay a co worker so I've made a rod for my own back there .. or secured a second overtime job ..
Maybe they’re blowing smoke up your derrière thinking you’ll do all the washing up? That’s is in fact the sort of low life dirty stinking trick that I would pull.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Thanks for all the good wishes, I am feeling better today, more groggy than anything else. Though the reason I'm not working is the reason I'm stressed, and so on. Doesn't really get any better, does it? Still, at least I've improved enough to try and catch up with the TV I missed. Got to take your entertainment where you find it in this world.

Get well soon, @brownmane , nothing worse than a summer (or spring) cold. OK, there's a lot worse, but that's not much consolation!

graylien

Justified & Ancient
What you need is a rear view (windscreen) mirror fixing kit from Halfords. That'll stick it up forever, for about a fiver.
Yeah, I would do, but they won't allow tenants to do their own repairs. They insist on getting their maintenance man to do them.

So I send my landlady an email this morning asking why the work hasn't been done despite two of us tenants being told it would be done last week.

It's a polite email although I do mention she's getting nearly 3 grand in rent from the house each month, she employs a full time maintenance man, and a multipack of outdoor sticky pads from the shop 10 minutes walk away costs £2.99. I also remind her that I offered to stick the bell back on for free myself.

She sends me a very curt reply saying she is "very aware of the doorbell situation" but that the maintenance man has "been on a well deserved break."

I reply saying I now appreciate the reason for the delay and that if she had only told me or the other tenant that the maintenance man was on holiday last week then I wouldn't have even raised the issue.

10 minutes later, the maintenance man rolls up in his van and proceeds to fix the doorbell back on.

I assume the landlady has sent him out, so I wander down to say hello and explain I only emailed the landlady because I didn't realise he had been on holiday last week.

His exact reply was, "No, I haven't been on holiday. I've just been busy doing other stuff."

So basically she blatently lied to me.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteBirdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Cellulitis

Didn't know it existed a fortnight ago. Have spent the last week flat and cat sitting for a friend who is now going into her second week in hospital with it. Not helping that she is allergic to almost all antibiotics. Staff autism aware and she is in the best place she can be. But it's a shitty situation.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Cellulitis

Didn't know it existed a fortnight ago. Have spent the last week flat and cat sitting for a friend who is now going into her second week in hospital with it. Not helping that she is allergic to almost all antibiotics. Staff autism aware and she is in the best place she can be. But it's a shitty situation.
My Dad had that on his legs. Made it difficult to walk.

Frideswide

Staff member
It's her upper arm. Legs sounds /really/ bad.

I took in lots of drawing stuff, fidgets and so on. Really it's just her having the reassurance that her home and cats are ok. Am aware I'm wittering!

Frideswide

Staff member
Not useful at this precise moment but LUSH have some allegedly sleep inducing bath bombs which seem to work for a lot of people, me included.

Swifty

Can't be bothered, I'm more a stare at the ceiling guy. I know, it's a terrible state of affairs when you can't summon one measly sexual fantasy...
Well in that case, I'll try and find that ZZ Top tune with the lyric "last night I saw a naked cowgirl crawl across my ceiling" .. I think it's 'Planet full of Women' .. I'll be back in a bit ... hang on ..

edit:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
OK, I listened dutifully to the ZZ Top tune, but it's not my idea of aural erotica, sorry. Now I'm trying to think what is an erotic tune, and the only ones I can think of sound silly.

Anyway, before my headache comes back, I'm off to bed. By the force of will alone, I shall fall asleep!

Swifty

I don't want to think of Jessie from Toy Story naked, thanks.
Well in that case it's 50mg one a night over the counter sleepers dude .. or ill advised alcohol .. definitely not both at the same time .. I'd go with the sleeper with a 20 minute kick in time and a pint of water and an alarm clock ..

(wrong ZZ tune anyway sorry . it was good anyway though, you have to admit)

I've been debating with myself all day as to whether I have allergies or a spring cold. I think it might be a cold. All of you remarks of sympathy and "poor you" are quite welcome.
You can test for allergies/hayfever by buying one of those nasal sprays and giving yourself a blast with it. If it helps, it's the allergies. If it doesn't it's a cold. Worked for me! It's a good idea to find to find out soil it's the hay fever you can deal with it in future.