The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Thanks for all the good wishes, I am feeling better today, more groggy than anything else. Though the reason I'm not working is the reason I'm stressed, and so on.
!
Don't try to go back to work until you're fit. You need a proper recovery time. Think of it as damage limitation - you've had time off, now need to make sure you don't end up much worse.

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites
First time I got Cellulitis was from a tiny scrape on the knee from a lorry tail-lift - rapid red burning leg swelling following the vein, looked just like the Google pic. I was visiting my Mum in Hospital the next evening and went to the adjacent Walk-in Clinic. Doctor gave me a prescription for two antibiotics against deep tissue anaerobic infection (Strep and Staph) and I said I'd fill it next day - 'No, now !' she said. Apparently Cellulitis is a route for necrotising/flesh eating bug and people have died within 24 hours from sepsis. So I wandered around Wembley (near the Hospital, but miles from my home) at 9:30 pm with a gammy leg, looking for a late night Chemist.
Second and last time with Cellulitis and the skin hadn't even been broken - Clinic tested me for Diabetes as a source of ulcers "just in case". I would blame cats but I don't have any.
My colleague at work then got Cellulitis in his heel, but he wouldn't get it checked out until it had eaten a hole through his foot. Took four months to recover - idiot. But I do feel for your friend.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteBirdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Thank you @Bad Bungle . We were going to have coffee tomorrow (and possibly pancakes!) but she thinks that the GP is a better option. At least I'll be able to get her into SB's and stay until her folks can get there. Thank you for reassuring me I'm not "just" fussing!

brownmane

Ephemeral Spectre
You can test for allergies/hayfever by buying one of those nasal sprays and giving yourself a blast with it. If it helps, it's the allergies. If it doesn't it's a cold. Worked for me! It's a good idea to find to find out soil it's the hay fever you can deal with it in future.
No, it's a spring cold. I don't get allergies thank goodness they can be worse

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
l was browsing in a charity shop in Countytown yesterday, when the wired hood of my Barbour coat brushed an ornament off a shelf. Obviously it couldn’t have been one of the steel, rubber or plastic items that flanked it, oh no: It was resin.

Pow!

l now own a shit £3.49 broken resin model of a horse, and l don’t even have a shit £3.49 broken resin model of a horse.

lf l go in there next week and that piece of shit resin has been superglued back together and is on sale again, l am going full Taz.

Subsidiary whinge: l have now typed the word “resin” so many times that l’m doubting that it’s even a real word. Knackers.

maximus otter

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
l was browsing in a charity shop in Countytown yesterday, when the wired hood of my Barbour coat brushed an ornament off a shelf. Obviously it couldn’t have been one of the steel, rubber or plastic items that flanked it, oh no: It was resin.

Pow!

l now own a shit £3.49 broken resin model of a horse, and l don’t even have a shit £3.49 broken resin model of a horse.

lf l go in there next week and that piece of shit resin has been superglued back together and is on sale again, l am going full Taz.

Subsidiary whinge: l have now typed the word “resin” so many times that l’m doubting that it’s even a real word. Knackers.

maximus otter
At least you weren't in an antique shop when it happened.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I rent out my late dad's wee bungalow. We have new tenants in, and had to change electricity suppliers. The former firm has now charmed me with the following recent email exchanges:

Energy firm: "You owe us £150, you ****ing pirate! Pay up or we'll take you to court!"

Me: "Here are the meter readings up to and including one day before the new tenants moved in. These numbers are backed up by date-and-time stamped photos on my iPhone. Take me to court, you ****ing traffic warden's catamites, I ****ing dare you!"

Energy firm: "Er...It turns out that we owe you £200..."

Me:

maximus otter

Ringo

Sanitised for your protection
I fancy a good whinge so get ready to fold you arms under your bosoms, shake you heads and just say "Ooh, I know..."

The kids here are now on their summer holidays. They are off for 9 weeks. 9 weeks!!

I'm actually looking forward to the summer as we're moving house. That in itself is always stressful but I'm seeing it as a fresh start in a new larger home. I want to start winding down and feeling excited but the problem is that I have work getting in the way. I have 4 large shows to do in the next week which is very energy draining, time consuming and also requires meticulous planning and packing - which is hard when you're in the middle of packing moving boxes etc. After these shows I am on vacation for the rest of the summer so I just need to power through.

But I'm so close to the finsh line that I can feel my legs begin to buckle - this week is going to be a killer. I just want to be off now and able to focus on the summer.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
On the subject of renting out my late dad's bungalow, I may as well ease the pressure on my veins by venting here:

We had a long-term tenant, a single man, in the place for several years: Whoopee! We are fully hands-off, and rent out through an agency which conducts - and should follow up on - biannual inspections of the property in return for 10% of the take. Twice they notified us that the garden was "a bit overgrown". Twice - by return of email - I authorised them to task a tradesman to remedy the issue.

When he moved in, the garden was a neat patch of carefully-mown lawn surrounded by an equally neat earth border. There was one small forsythia bush.

When he moved out, one of the trees in the garden was fifteen feet high. The ivy was so overgrown that it had invaded the garden of the ancient old dear next door, who'd had a visit from the parish council bearing complaints from a third party about the state of "her" garden. We had to engage the services of three groups of tradespeople to remedy the disaster. That cost us four months' rental income.

The letting agency, who had so spectacularly dropped the ball, apologised and sent us a derisory cheque for 5% of the sum it had cost us to put things right. Needless to say, we are now with another agency.

The new agency put a nice foreign couple in there. Whoopee! After a few weeks, they phoned the agency in alarm because sparks were coming out of one of the radiators. We bought a replacement radiator (a week's rental income), delivered it, and tasked the agency to detail a tradesman to fit it; then to present our profuse and sincere apologies to the tenants.

The agency then asked us if an electrical safety inspection had ever been performed on the house (an ex-council bungalow about thirty years old). "A what?", I asked, before searching through years of paperwork to establish that no, it probably hadn't been done. Being all virtuous and shit I said, "Put us down for a dose of that, then!" That cost us five weeks' rental income.

Two weeks ago the new tenants managed to break off a key in one of the double glazed window locks. We haven't had the bill for that yet.

Two days ago I received notification from the tax man that my next self-assessment is due. That, plus the accountant's bill, will be another month's rental down the thunderbox...

If I see one more Channel 4 "Landlord from hell!" documentary, I won't be held responsible for my actions.

maximus otter

Last edited:

Tigerhawk

Resistance is futile!
Mid afternoon, there was an urgent pounding on the front door, and as I was just about to see who was being murdered, there was an equally urgent knocking on the glass pane. I opened the door (keeping the flyscreen locked is something I prefer to do, in this context, thank gods!) to be greeted by this scruffy looking man, mid thirties, holding a plastic bag with contents I never got a look at. "Is this Andrews Grandmothers house?" Shifty Man asks. There has never been an Andrew here, or anyone with the last name Andrew/s. I said no, and explained that there never was an Andrew/s or a Grandmother of any variety at this address. "Is this (gives house number and street name)?" he asks. Yes, but did he mean (further down the street, as the house numbers on this street go up to 230)? No, he meant this house. I said he was to go away and make sure of his details, as there never was anyone here by that name or description.

Now I am going to be kept awake all night, worried that some weirdo is going to try and break in and murder us all in our beds....

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
On the subject of renting out my late dad's bungalow, I may as well ease the pressure on my veins by venting here:

We had a long-term tenant, a single man, in the place for several years: Whoopee! We are fully hands-off, and rent out through an agency which conducts - and should follow up on - biannual inspections of the property in return for 10% of the take. Twice they notified us that the garden was "a bit overgrown". Twice - by return of email - I authorised them to task a tradesman to remedy the issue.

When he moved in, the garden was a neat patch of carefully-mown lawn surrounded by an equally neat earth border. There was one small forsythia bush.

When he moved out, one of the trees in the garden was fifteen feet high. The ivy was so overgrown that it had invaded the garden of the ancient old dear next door, who'd had a visit from the parish council bearing complaints from a third party about the state of "her" garden. We had to engage the services of three groups of tradespeople to remedy the disaster. That cost us four months' rental income.

The letting agency, who had so spectacularly dropped the ball, apologised and sent us a derisory cheque for 5% of the sum it had cost us to put things right. Needless to say, we are now with another agency.

The new agency put a nice foreign couple in there. Whoopee! After a few weeks, they phoned the agency in alarm because sparks were coming out of one of the radiators. We bought a replacement radiator (a week's rental income), delivered it, and tasked the agency to detail a tradesman to fit it; then to present our profuse and sincere apologies to the tenants.

The agency then asked us if an electrical safety inspection had ever been performed on the house (an ex-council bungalow about thirty years old). "A what?", I asked, before searching through years of paperwork to establish that no, it probably hadn't been done. Being all virtuous and shit I said, "Put us down for a dose of that, then!" That cost us five weeks' rental income.

Two weeks ago the new tenants managed to break off a key in one of the double glazed window locks. We haven't had the bill for that yet.

Two days ago I received notification from the tax man that my next self-assessment is due. That, plus the accountant's bill, will be another month's rental down the thunderbox...

If I see one more Channel 4 "Landlord from hell!" documentary, I won't be held responsible for my actions.

maximus otter
Unless you're a slumlord or you get the ideal tenant, renting a place out is a mug's game these days.
My brother in law and nephew invested their money in 2 flats in a small block in central Reading.
Each time they have rented them out, something's gone wrong. The latest is a major leak that damaged a wall. The tradesman they got in did a poor job of fixing it up. The other issue is insulation. None of those flats have cavity wall insulation. When they inquired about getting it done, they were told that doing just their flats would be no good, as it may cause problems with the other flats. The whole building has to be done in one go. Basically, they bought a lemon. Then there's the unreliable tenants.
They are out of pocket already. I had the same issues years ago when trying to rent out my house. In the end, I sold it.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I was up all night, in pain with this blinkin' constipation.
No fun at all.
Off to the docs in a minute.
I don't know if you're diet allows it but, porridge. A bowl for breakfast every day will work wonders. The most whole grain not milled to fuck variety you can find.

Not only does it consist of fibre, there's the gravity effect from the sheer gloopy mass of the stuff. Sometimes you will barely have time to finish the bowl before nature takes it's course. And its also reputedly beneficial for your cholesterol.

I remember saying the same to rynner when he had similar issues. Dunno if he ever took it up though.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
I don't know if you're diet allows it but, porridge. A bowl for breakfast every day will work wonders. The most whole grain not milled to fuck variety you can find.

Not only does it consist of fibre, there's the gravity effect from the sheer gloopy mass of the stuff. Sometimes you will barely have time to finish the bowl before nature takes it's course. And its also reputedly beneficial for your cholesterol.

I remember saying the same to rynner when he had similar issues. Dunno if he ever took it up though.
Yeah, my Dad followed that regime.
I can't while I'm on this low calorie diet, it's very rigidly structured - but thanks for the advice.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
That's odd, why are you constipated?

Seems strange to me as I eat about the highest-fibre diet you could manage without chopping up and swallowing bits of rope.
I've been on a low calorie diet for almost 2 weeks. My digestive system is not liking it.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Ah right, I see. Isn't there a roughage element to it? You'd think so.

We have lovely fresh pears in. Fibre with dignity, y'know.
I have to take Fybogel.
Stop it! I have to maintain this feckin' diet for 12 weeks!

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I've been on a low calorie diet for almost 2 weeks. My digestive system is not liking it.
£1 to a pinch of poop (pun not intended) you’re dehydrated. Drink a couple of pints of water as fast as you can. That should “light the blue touchpaper”.

maximus otter

Last edited:

Eyespy

Junior Acolyte
I don't have a bath, I'm afraid, only a shower, and a bath bomb in bed sounds messy.
They do a shower gel to help you sleep- Its a depressing mauve colour but it works- I have to hide it from daughter as it apparently smells lovely.

Hope you get back into a proper sleep rhythm soon- I have real problems staying asleep, hence shower gel before bed time.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Seeds increase stool-weight.
Olive oil greases the chute.

Best of luck with the twelve weeks.

My wife has recently decided that she wants to get back the figure she had pre-pregnancy and has dived into a hardcore programme of swimming and yoga six days a week.

No discernible effect for about six weeks, but now I notice the changes from week to week. She wasn't massively overweight, but as the pounds have fallen off, her posture has changed and the whole way she moves looks smoother.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Seeds increase stool-weight.
Olive oil greases the chute.

Best of luck with the twelve weeks.

My wife has recently decided that she wants to get back the figure she had pre-pregnancy and has dived into a hardcore programme of swimming and yoga six days a week.

No discernible effect for about six weeks, but now I notice the changes from week to week. She wasn't massively overweight, but as the pounds have fallen off, her posture has changed and the whole way she moves looks smoother.
Yup, gym trainers say if you do three sessions a week for a fortnight you'll start to see a difference.

brownmane

Ephemeral Spectre
Thanks for all the good wishes, I am feeling better today, more groggy than anything else. Though the reason I'm not working is the reason I'm stressed, and so on. Doesn't really get any better, does it? Still, at least I've improved enough to try and catch up with the TV I missed. Got to take your entertainment where you find it in this world.

Get well soon, @brownmane , nothing worse than a summer (or spring) cold. OK, there's a lot worse, but that's not much consolation!
Thanks GNC, though I think your whinge is a little worse than mine. Take care of yourself.