The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Oh well bannd from another sub Reddit all I said was its hypocritical That it ok that are male characters get sexualised but female characters it's not ok I must of triggered a power mod in girl gamers sub Reddit don't even have to be rude or unpleasant to get banned on Reddit and it's impossible to get a unjustified banned lifted.

this is what the mods claim I did.
Why even come into this community if your entire posting history is going to roughly be: "Well it happens to men too so stop complaining". We welcome discussion from everyone, but not people coming in to demean the experiences of others.

I have never said this nor have I set out to demean the experience of other and i tired being diplomatic but I got muted for 72h fine the mods in that sub Reddit can get stuffed.

Last edited:

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
He's clearly having a moment. The BBC is happily besotted with him and it is quite exciting even if I don't get it.

To carry on with my old person's lack of understanding of the lad, I watched his Glasto set and all I really thought was "Pull your trousers up!" Why do young men were their trews slung so low?
Apparently, it stems from when prisoners (in the States) had their belts taken off them so they couldn't use them as weapons or commit suicide.
That's why we now have people from even small towns, all over the world, who like to be thought of as 'Gangsters'. The ironic thing is that if you dropped them into the rougher parts of Los Angles or Detroit, they would probably s*** themselves. It's ok being a 'Gangster' when you live in Chipping Norton- not so much when in Skid Row or Compton.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
A few days ago I came across an old thread from 2005, I think, where someone had mentioned that there are websites for 'Road Enthusiasts', which caused much hilarity amongst two posters who couldn't believe that some people have an interest in roads.
I am one of the people who likes roads; the history of roads, road layouts, by-passes/re-alignments, looking at 'then and now photos' and old maps to see how much things have (or haven't) changed etc.
My 'whinge' therefore, are people who belittle someone else for liking something they don't. That's not very 'Fortean' is it?
(I mean not murder of course).- I don't have an interest in say, motorbikes or fast-food, but I know many people do have.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
It's ok being a 'Gangster' when you live in Chipping Norton- not so much when in Skid Row or Compton.
Is you disrespectin' the East Staines massive bruv ? is it? .. is that how it is though? .. etc etc etc ..

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Oh well bannd from another sub Reddit all I said was its hypocritical That it ok that are male characters get sexualised but female characters it's not ok I must of triggered a power mod in girl gamers sub Reddit don't even have to be rude or unpleasant to get banned on Reddit and it's impossible to get a unjustified banned lifted.

this is what the mods claim I did.
Why even come into this community if your entire posting history is going to roughly be: "Well it happens to men too so stop complaining". We welcome discussion from everyone, but not people coming in to demean the experiences of others.

I have never said this nor have I set out to demean the experience of other and i tired being diplomatic but I got muted for 72h fine the mods in that sub Reddit can get stuffed.
I read Reddit daily, but it's not a healthy place for any kind of debate.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
They sound great.
I did catch the first episode and intended to watch it again as it was ok, but haven't done so.
I was getting a bit of deja vu, but don't they say that there are only seven stories that are used in films? Something like that- so it's no wonder I suppose.
The novel Catch-22 was a seminal work and had a huge effect on later writers. It recycled the seven commonly-accepted story archetypes highly efficiently!

They are, as described by the writer, Christopher Booker:

Overcoming the Monster.
Rags to Riches.
The Quest.
Voyage and Return.
Comedy.
Tragedy.
Rebirth.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
A few days ago I came across an old thread from 2005, I think, where someone had mentioned that there are websites for 'Road Enthusiasts', which caused much hilarity amongst two posters who couldn't believe that some people have an interest in roads.
I am one of the people who likes roads; the history of roads, road layouts, by-passes/re-alignments, looking at 'then and now photos' and old maps to see how much things have (or haven't) changed etc.
My 'whinge' therefore, are people who belittle someone else for liking something they don't. That's not very 'Fortean' is it?
(I mean not murder of course).- I don't have an interest in say, motorbikes or fast-food, but I know many people do have.
I like road stuff too! :D (Do you look at the Sabre Roads forum?)

I love old road signs (pre-Worboys stuff) and seeing how things have changed (in my opinion, roads always looked nicer 'back then' than they do now, all cluttered with all paraphernalia of signs and paint).

So yeah... I'm with you on that whinge. There's nowt wrong with having different likes and dislikes and different opinions.

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites
Road outside Work has been dug up again, think it's Fibre Broadband this time, before that it was Water, Electricity, Water again, TFL Underground problem and the chance to try out a new Trench-digger. When a twenty metre section of road gets finished, it is re-surfaced, lines painted on it and then coned off so that the machinery and equipment can be parked on it as the next twenty metre section is dug up. Guessing we're the only country in the Developed World that lays Utility pipes and cables under a road instead of alongside it.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre

I love old road signs (pre-Worboys stuff) and seeing how things have changed (in my opinion, roads always looked nicer 'back then' than they do now, all cluttered with all paraphernalia of signs and paint).

So yeah... I'm with you on that whinge. There's nowt wrong with having different likes and dislikes and different opinions.
Yes Sabre is great!
I use this one more though; https://www.roads.org.uk/
It's run by a chap called Chris and there are some great articles on there. The 'Ringways' project which was mostly shelved due to protests, is a very interesting read, (perhaps especially to Londoners), but there is lots of stuff on there meticulously researched, that you may also enjoy.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Senior moments:

I just thought to myself, "Bollocks, I've forgotten to re-zhoozh me doofer."

Lit. trans: "Bother, I have forgotten to put my iPad on to charge."

maximus otter

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre

A few houses were saved here!
https://goo.gl/maps/9NpmsRdwsqMqJ2Ag9

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
I regret getting the picade mini bar top it's given me nothing but grief I should of got the picade console and the company are very slow at replying to emails and I managed to fry my raspberry pi 3 b+ So had nothing but bad luck since last week.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Ah very interesting link, I'll have to have a play with that NLS site. Thanks :)

Yes Sabre is great!
I use this one more though; https://www.roads.org.uk/
It's run by a chap called Chris and there are some great articles on there. The 'Ringways' project which was mostly shelved due to protests, is a very interesting read, (perhaps especially to Londoners), but there is lots of stuff on there meticulously researched, that you may also enjoy.
Never seen that forum before, I'll have a look, thanks too :)

I'd hate to be the one that seems to have lost most of his garden to the sticky-out bit at the top of the roundabout!

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
Bloody BBC- again.
The one and pretty much only thing I look forward to watching on the box is 'Inspector Montalbano' of a Saturday eve on BBC4.
Apparently though, one channel is not enough for them to show Glastonbury (it's also on BBC2 all night), they have to use up TWO.
And to rub more salt in the wound, the 'singer' who is on at the time said favourite prog (would have) started? - Liam Gallagher.
Fan-freekin'-tastic.
They should have a dedicated channel for sport and such things as this.
Typical BBC response to my complaint;
They never mention how many complaints they've had against the amount of air time used for this.
''....to create a world-leading immersive experience.'' What does that even mean?
Pyschobable at it's highest.

Thank you for contacting us about the BBC’s coverage of Glastonbury Festival.

We understand that you felt too much broadcast time was given to this event.

Glastonbury Festival is the largest greenfield music and performing arts festival in the world and has become an essential fixture of the British summer. There is a huge demand across our audience for coverage of this event, with 20 million accessing our broadcasts over the weekend. Given the BBC’s investment in this outside broadcast, it makes sense for us to obtain the best value for money and to cover as much of the content from the 5 stages as possible. This coverage is spread across TV, digital, BBC Sounds and radio services to create a world-leading immersive experience.

Although we understand that not everyone will wish to view the festival, it is enjoyed by a very wide range of people, across all age groups. When serving a diverse audience with many differing tastes and preferences it can be tricky to please everyone, and in previous years we had heard from disappointed viewers who felt we hadn’t provided enough coverage.

Glastonbury has been part of our summer schedule on Radio 1, Radio 2, BBC Two and BBC Four for many years now. This year saw BBC One broadcast a couple of performances, including Kylie Minogue’s Legends tea-time slot, and although the total number of hours of coverage has increased overall – we believe that we’ve struck the right balance in our Glastonbury coverage across our different platforms. There is also a range of programming available at all times on BBC iPlayer and BBC Sounds and we believe audiences would have found alternative material to enjoy if they were unhappy with our commitment to broadcast the festival.

Nonetheless, we appreciate your feedback and can assure you that your comments have been forwarded to the relevant teams responsible for delivering our coverage.

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints Team

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
Road outside Work has been dug up again, think it's Fibre Broadband this time, before that it was Water, Electricity, Water again, TFL Underground problem and the chance to try out a new Trench-digger. When a twenty metre section of road gets finished, it is re-surfaced, lines painted on it and then coned off so that the machinery and equipment can be parked on it as the next twenty metre section is dug up. Guessing we're the only country in the Developed World that lays Utility pipes and cables under a road instead of alongside it.
Typical Britiain.
I noticed a few years ago that the lines painted on roads don't seem to last anywhere near as long as they used to even in relatively quiet areas. I asked a road-worker about this and he said I was correct in my assumption because they had changed the formula to a much harder one that doesn't bend and flex with the road surface and therefore is prone to cracking and is also more difficult to lay as they have to be much quicker. So, more cost to the tax-payer for having them re-done every few months.

As for laying pipes alongside a road, where is that done B/B?

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
There was a section of road where I used to live that was like that - everyone seemed to dig it up. We'd even watch the gas people waiting patiently for the electricity people to fill in the hole and as soon as they left, they'd dig it up and then as they were finishing along would come the water people. A neighbour asked why they waited until it was filled before digging and they told him that they weren't allowed to use someone else's hole and the job description they were given specifically stated that they had to dig a hole to access the pipes.

Schrodinger's Zebra

There'a a bug going round, like a mild flu-type thing. I seem to have picked it up. Off to work in a bit so dosing up with LemSip.
Hope you feel better soon. Chocolate will help :)

They never mention how many complaints they've had against the amount of air time used for this.
''....to create a world-leading immersive experience.'' What does that even mean?

Glastonbury Festival is the largest greenfield music and performing arts festival in the world and has become an essential fixture of the British summer. There is a huge demand across our audience for coverage of this event, with 20 million accessing our broadcasts over the weekend. Given the BBC’s investment in this outside broadcast, it makes sense for us to obtain the best value for money and to cover as much of the content from the 5 stages as possible. This coverage is spread across TV, digital, BBC Sounds and radio services to create a world-leading immersive experience.

Although we understand that not everyone will wish to view the festival, it is enjoyed by a very wide range of people, across all age groups. When serving a diverse audience with many differing tastes and preferences it can be tricky to please everyone, and in previous years we had heard from disappointed viewers who felt we hadn’t provided enough coverage.

Glastonbury has been part of our summer schedule on Radio 1, Radio 2, BBC Two and BBC Four for many years now. This year saw BBC One broadcast a couple of performances, including Kylie Minogue’s Legends tea-time slot, and although the total number of hours of coverage has increased overall – we believe that we’ve struck the right balance in our Glastonbury coverage across our different platforms. There is also a range of programming available at all times on BBC iPlayer and BBC Sounds and we believe audiences would have found alternative material to enjoy if they were unhappy with our commitment to broadcast the festival.

Nonetheless, we appreciate your feedback and can assure you that your comments have been forwarded to the relevant teams responsible for delivering our coverage.

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints Team
That letter is such a load of twaddle! Why do I get the feeling that "your comments have been forwarded to the relevant teams" translates to "we have thrown your letter in the bin"

Stupid BBC. Doesn't matter how many "diverse" people like Glastonbury, it only needs to be on one bloody channel! (Sorry, I wasn't even affected by the coverage and it has still annoyed me!)

A colleague is off with severe bronchitis and another tells me there are currently outbreaks of Slapped Cheeks Syndrome and chicken pox in schools, plus a kids' form of foot and mouth disease. Sounds bizarre.
Hopefully your flu doesn't turn into bronchitis then, stay well. Have you had any of that chocolate I recommended yet? :)

What the heck is Slapped Cheek Syndrome? I'm afraid to google it... and foot and mouth in a kid?

There was a section of road where I used to live that was like that - everyone seemed to dig it up. We'd even watch the gas people waiting patiently for the electricity people to fill in the hole and as soon as they left, they'd dig it up and then as they were finishing along would come the water people. A neighbour asked why they waited until it was filled before digging and they told him that they weren't allowed to use someone else's hole and the job description they were given specifically stated that they had to dig a hole to access the pipes.
The world.
Has officially.
Gone mad.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Grrr! I think I may have been caught doing a few MPH over the limit, on a part of the road where there is no need at all for such a low speed limit (no houses, no paths, just farmland). Sneaky guys were hiding round a corner.
Have to wait and see if I get a pesky letter now.
News update!
I didn't get a pesky letter (so far). Must have just been inside the threshold.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Thank you!
Dosed up, went to work, had a good day as usual - lots of banter, coffee, lovely views - and now I'm back, showered, had soup & sarnies for tea and watching a horror fillum before bed.
Excellent stuff, glad to hear it :) Take it easy over t'weekend.

News update!
Good news too :)

Last edited:

hunck

Justified & Ancient

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints Team
Basically this boils down to 'you can't please all the people all the time'.

It's only on 1 weekend a year, & the audience is probably an order of magnitude greater than Inspector Montalbano. I don't watch that much of it myself but I don't object to it being on multiple channels. You could say the same thing about Wimbledon fortnight or the World Cup. Large audiences but not much interest for those not interested, other programmes dropped etc,

One episode's delay is not too much to bear is it? You might even find the whole thing is on iplayer..

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
News update!
You may have to keep your fingers crossed for a day or three more:

If you’re caught by a speed camera

Within 14 days of your car being caught speeding you’ll be sent a:
  • Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP)
  • Section 172 notice
https://www.gov.uk/speeding-penalties

maximus otter

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
Basically this boils down to 'you can't please all the people all the time'.

It's only on 1 weekend a year, & the audience is probably an order of magnitude greater than Inspector Montalbano. I don't watch that much of it myself but I don't object to it being on multiple channels. You could say the same thing about Wimbledon fortnight or the World Cup. Large audiences but not much interest for those not interested, other programmes dropped etc,

One episode's delay is not too much to bear is it? You might even find the whole thing is on iplayer..
No, but it just happens too much. And in this case on three channels (at least). The world cup is only every 4 years, so that's bearable (just), but it's all these things added up over a year that make it a regular occurrence. Add in snooker/darts/tennis/last night of the proms....
I know they can't please everyone all the time, but they should have a dedicated channel for the majority of this stuff that goes on for a good while.
It's more the pricipal of the matter though and BBC do annoy me anyway. The licence fee, Jimmy Saville, pompous news reporters, biased reporting....

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar