The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
There was a section of road where I used to live that was like that - everyone seemed to dig it up. We'd even watch the gas people waiting patiently for the electricity people to fill in the hole and as soon as they left, they'd dig it up and then as they were finishing along would come the water people.
There are now plans to introduce 'green corridor cemeteries' in the UK ie bury the dead alongside motorways and railway lines. This makes some sense as there aren't pavements or public access alongside the major routes (suppose you'd throw a wreath out of the window as you passed) - just as long as the hole is dug beside the road or rail and not under the motorway or track.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-motorways-roads-railway-lines-a8988511.html

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
There are now plans to introduce 'green corridor cemeteries' in the UK ie bury the dead alongside motorways and railway lines. This makes some sense as there aren't pavements or public access alongside the major routes (suppose you'd throw a wreath out of the window as you passed) - just as long as the hole is dug beside the road or rail and not under the motorway or track.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-motorways-roads-railway-lines-a8988511.html
Not so much a 'plan' as a totally weird and unfeasible idea. The areas either sides of major roads and railways aren't untouched waste spaces, they're an important part of the transport infrastructure.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Not so much a 'plan' as a totally weird and unfeasible idea. The areas either sides of major roads and railways aren't untouched waste spaces, they're an important part of the transport infrastructure.
Don't forget we're living in the 'post-expert' age where rationality no longer seems to be a quality!

Surely the way to do it is when building new roads/railways to bury the dead underneath the road/rail tracks at a suitable depth whereby there won't be any, er, 'seepage'. There's an idea for a zombie film in there somewhere, the dead brought to life by the incessant noise and vibrations of vehicles and trains. Or something...

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Don't forget we're living in the 'post-expert' age where rationality no longer seems to be a quality!

Surely the way to do it is when building new roads/railways to bury the dead underneath the road/rail tracks at a suitable depth whereby there won't be any, er, 'seepage'. There's an idea for a zombie film in there somewhere, the dead brought to life by the incessant noise and vibrations of vehicles and trains. Or something...
There'd be problems with road ghosts and the like.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
I'm in an extremely bad mood as the bl00dy tv is stuck on one channel and it's the Federa match!! (Yes yes yes I know he's a good player works hard, and is a real gent but I'm bored of him ok?)

I hate it when techy stuff goes wrong. Initially I thought it was just the remote control and so changed batteries, then tried pressing buttons on the bt box and that just made me more cross as I couldn't seem to find the right one. However it does seem to be a problem with the box as I'm sure that worked the last time the remote control (known as a 'bonker' ... no sniggering .... in our house) went wrong. Wondered about resettting it or something but took one look at the tangle of wires and stuff at the back and lost the will to live.

Oh well on the plus side I didn't have to watch England getting beaten by
Sweden and I got rid of all the dust lurking in the corner behind the tv!

I'm still in a bad mood though. It's not so much that I wanted to watch TV all day but having a problem that I can't solve, that a five year old probably can, that I find distressing! Damn it I'm going to have to ring BT and try not to rant at the oppo about things not being built to last these days!

grumpy old lady Sollywos x

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
I'm in an extremely bad mood as the bl00dy tv is stuck on one channel and it's the Federa match!! (Yes yes yes I know he's a good player works hard, and is a real gent but I'm bored of him ok?)

I hate it when techy stuff goes wrong. Initially I thought it was just the remote control and so changed batteries, then tried pressing buttons on the bt box and that just made me more cross as I couldn't seem to find the right one. However it does seem to be a problem with the box as I'm sure that worked the last time the remote control (known as a 'bonker' ... no sniggering .... in our house) went wrong. Wondered about resettting it or something but took one look at the tangle of wires and stuff at the back and lost the will to live.

I'm still in a bad mood though. It's not so much that I wanted to watch TV all day but having a problem that I can't solve, that a five year old probably can, that I find distressing! Damn it I'm going to have to ring BT and try not to rant at the oppo about things not being built to last these days!

When our FreeSat box occasionally freezes, we switch it off at the plug for 30 seconds or so, then switch it back on. Is that something you can try? Wouldn't involve having to unattach any wires :)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Turn it off and on again.
Wait a few minutes while it's in the off state, so any stuff in memory clears.

Sollywos

When our FreeSat box occasionally freezes, we switch it off at the plug for 30 seconds or so, then switch it back on. Is that something you can try? Wouldn't involve having to unattach any wires :)
You are a STAR! Thankyou!! ...... I have telly back!! You've saved me from having to do some more dusting or something!!

So I'm no longer a grumpy Sollywos xxx

Schrodinger's Zebra

You are a STAR! Thankyou!! ...... I have telly back!! You've saved me from having to do some more dusting or something!!

So I'm no longer a grumpy Sollywos xxx
:D Glad to help

Now you just have to sit and channel-hop for hours, trying to find something worth watching ;)

Turn it off and on again.
Wait a few minutes while it's in the off state, so any stuff in memory clears.
Great minds think alike :)

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman

Just cremate everyone. Or fly all the Stiff’s out to the Andes (or is it Mexico?) drop them on mountain tops and let the birds pick you clean!

Sollywos

Just did my nightly exercise-bike run, but only managed 5k instead of the usual 10k which I've been doing every night for the past week or so.

Damn it, stupid legs. :(
Well I'm impressed! (Had to look it up as I still think in miles lol)

Sollywos x

Schrodinger's Zebra

Well I'm impressed! (Had to look it up as I still think in miles lol)

Sollywos x
I still think in miles too... but we don't know how (or even if) we can set the machine to show miles. the more I think about it, the more I'm unsure if it is reporting correctly (assuming, of course, that 5k or 10k is indeed a lot - it certainly feels like a lot).

Sollywos

I still think in miles too... but we don't know how (or even if) we can set the machine to show miles. the more I think about it, the more I'm unsure if it is reporting correctly (assuming, of course, that 5k or 10k is indeed a lot - it certainly feels like a lot).
It's not just the miles/ks but the discipline of doing it everyday when you haven't actually got to get anywhere that impresses me.

Sollywos x

Schrodinger's Zebra

It's not just the miles/ks but the discipline of doing it everyday when you haven't actually got to get anywhere that impresses me.

Sollywos x
Secret: I read my 'Great Mysteries of the Air' book whilst I'm cycling. Passes the time so I don't notice how long its taking.
Don't tell anyone else.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Secret: I read my 'Great Mysteries of the Air' book whilst I'm cycling. Passes the time so I don't notice how long its taking.
Don't tell anyone else.
When I worked at a gym I noticed a lot of members doing that (including me!) so I put magazine racks on the walls and invited people to leave magazines in them that they'd finished with, and to borrow other ones.

It was a great success but they were eventually taken down because reading magazines during exercise didn't 'look good'.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Just in case anyone's wondering, by the way, how I'm managing to cycle with my disability... although I've only recently started trying this, I actually find it easier than walking. My hips and knees don't move about all over the damn place so there's no "answer the helm, legs!" issues to worry about.

:mcow:

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Thanks for depressing me!
I had one of those, i payed about £80 to go to a speed awareness class for 4 hours, you choose the date and where, mine was quite near to me and the guys are great. How fast were you going Myth?

Zebs works for MS :O