The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I had one of those, i payed about £80 to go to a speed awareness class for 4 hours, you choose the date and where, mine was quite near to me and the guys are great. How fast were you going Myth?

Zebs works for MS :O
I have no idea what speed I was doing.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
I have never had one in my life, it was bloody scary to have a letter of prosecution, I have always been a good girl, no run ins with the police at all
Anyway Myth, it will tell your speed and where they caught you and offer you to go to court or go to speed awareness, if your speed was not excessive

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Just in case anyone's wondering, by the way, how I'm managing to cycle with my disability... although I've only recently started trying this, I actually find it easier than walking. My hips and knees don't move about all over the damn place so there's no "answer the helm, legs!" issues to worry about.

:mcow:
No I wasn't wondering as I didn't know! Now I'm even more impressed!

I might have to get myself one of them there bikes ..... can I borrow your book when you've finished with it? Sounds to me, who finds real life a rude interruption to whatever book I'm reading, like an excellent use of the time!

Sollywos x

James_H

And I like to roam the land
There are now plans to introduce 'green corridor cemeteries' in the UK ie bury the dead alongside motorways and railway lines. This makes some sense as there aren't pavements or public access alongside the major routes (suppose you'd throw a wreath out of the window as you passed) - just as long as the hole is dug beside the road or rail and not under the motorway or track.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-motorways-roads-railway-lines-a8988511.html
Talk about dystopian.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Talk about dystopian.
I have a Natural Burial Ground a few miles from me - a large field with the Departed buried in bio-degradable coffins (cardboard) and no markers that I can see. As long as the process doesn't affect the Water Table and the field isn't let out to Metal Detectorists, I reckon this is a relatively cheap and fast-decomposition way forward for burials.
But there are 500,000 deaths a year in England and Wales with only so many fields that can be set aside from Agriculture or Building. Other under-used areas of land (motorway, airport, railway verges, Blue Peter garden) will have to be used for burials in the future.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Exocet, Weeble and Load are coming to stay, so I decide to blast the algae off our back patio using our Kärcher pressure washer. See if you can spot where my deliberate error occurs:

a) Unpadlock side garden gate.

b) Re-enter house via garden door. Lock garden door from inside, leaving keys in lock.

c) Unlock front door and exit, locking front door behind me.

d) Unlock garage door and remove Kärcher pressure washer. Lock garage door.

e) Trundle washer into back garden.

f) Reattach padlock to garden gate, securing it.

g) Realise that I am now locked into a secure rear garden
, and that I have only a front door key and no phone. There is a 6' fence between me and freedom.

h) Because we are so security conscious ( :rolleyes: ), there are no tools available to me in the back garden.

i) Select house brick and go caveman on (annoyingly - and surprisingly - resilient) £2.99 padlock.

j) Smash padlock off eventually, but now staple is hammered flat onto hasp at 90º, so gate is still secure.

k) Blessedly find that heavy-duty screwdriver attachment on Swiss Army Knife can be used to lever hasp back into position, freeing gate and me.

l) Re-enter house via front door.

m) Resolve never to speak of this.

n) Post tale on Intermong...

maximus otter

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
Exocet, Weeble and Load are coming to stay, so I decide to blast the algae off our back patio using our Kärcher pressure washer. See if you can spot where my deliberate error occurs:

b) Re-enter house via garden door. Lock garden door from inside, leaving keys in lock.

g) Realise that I am now locked into a secure rear garden, and that I have only a front door key and no phone. There is a 6' fence between me and freedom.

h) Because we are so security conscious ( :rolleyes: ), there are no tools available to me in the back garden.

i) Select house brick and go caveman on (annoyingly - and surprisingly - resilient) £2.99 padlock.

j) Smash padlock off eventually, but now staple is hammered flat onto hasp at 90º, so gate is still secure.

k) Blessedly find that heavy-duty screwdriver attachment on Swiss Army Knife can be used to lever hasp back into position, freeing gate and me.

maximus otter
I had you down as a 'Leathermans' not a 'Swiss Army Knife' kind of chap.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
With a can of beer in your other hand, gotta keep hydrated
Reminds me of the guy in Oz who was stopped by the police while driving his 'ute' with a crate of beer in the front passenger seat with the seatbelt around it and his young child being flung about while unsecured on the back seat.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
You should have been filming the speedo with your phone, then you'd know for sure.
When I had a job with the courts there were several people who were prosecuted after their speeding videos were posted online. They should have lost their licences forthwith on the grounds of stupidity.

Sollywos

g) Realise that I am now locked into a secure rear garden, and that I have only a front door key and no phone. There is a 6' fence between me and freedom.

maximus otter
I actually had tears of laughter when reading this! Mainly empathetic laughter I might add, not mocking as I have a history of locking myself out. Whenever it happens I remind myself that 'one day this will make a funny story' which you have demonstrated so well! :)

Sollywos x

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
I actually had tears of laughter when reading this! Mainly empathetic laughter I might add, not mocking as I have a history of locking myself out. Whenever it happens I remind myself that 'one day this will make a funny story' which you have demonstrated so well! :)

Sollywos x
I locked myself out a few weeks ago through my own stupidity. I opened the front door to throw out some breadcrumbs for the birds when it blew shut behind me. We've got an 8ft-high wall and a 6ft locked gate. Hmm. Tried one neighbour, not in. Handily the other neighbour was in so she let me through the house and I climbed over the fence. The back door was open, which was why the door blew shut.

A few years ago I found myself locked in, which was not my fault. I lived in a flat in Trowbridge. I locked my flat but was unable to leave the building's front door as the lock had broken. I had to go back to my flat, phone work to say why I wouldn't be in (yeah, right, I'm not sure they believed me) and then phone a locksmith. Several hours later and £120 poorer (split four ways) all was well in the world.

Last edited:

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
Tabloid 'news'-papers that not only insist on having 'The Weather' on the front page, but also what 'The Weather' will be like in the next few months. Even worse, the same paper I saw this on today, predicted fantastic weather for the bank holiday earlier this year and got it totally wrong. You'd have thought they would've learnt their lesson, been ashamed of their incompetence, stopped doing it and maybe, call me old fashioned here, actually put some news on the front instead.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Some years ago when heavily pregnant I was locked out when the front door blew shut. I asked a passing young man to climb over the 8' High wall and open the gate, which he kindly did in seconds.

Turned out he was a burglar so it's no wonder he was so good at scaling walls.

Some years later we moved round the corner to a house that, I soon learned, was the gathering place for him and his friends, yes, the local burglars.

The next door neighbour warned us to keep the bathroom window shut because that exterior wall was where the burglars practiced climbing and getting in.

Living there was hairy for a few years.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

maximus otter
I did this once in a house I was renting.
I put the chain on the front door and went out through the back door into the garden.
Here's the thing - I HAD the key to the back door. It was a tatty old pub lock. Before I closed the door, I tested the key in the lock and it turned OK. So I thought I could safely close the door and work in the garden. So I closed the door.
When I later tried to get back in, the damn thing wouldn't turn.
Plus, I couldn't get out the back gate or get in the front door.
Luckily, the next door neighbour heard me and lent me a hammer. I had to smash a small pane of glass to reach inside and open the door.
Then I had to get a glazier in to fix the glass.
Cost me a bunch of money.

Sollywos

This might be more appropriate in the 'It Happened To Me' section but it follows on more neatly in this one.

So I've got my tv back and determined to use it and finding nothing else better in the listings decided to watch 'The Last Leg' which I'd recorded the previous evening. I was going to go on fb at the same time so opened it and before proceeding to the Scrabble app I noticed in my feed that one of my friends had posted in a group we are both in so clicked on it and while it was connecting looked back at the tv.

They were discussing the outcry of a black woman getting the part of the Little Mermaid. 'Bloody hell' thinks I 'the things some people will make a fuss over. Ye gods have they nothing better to do? Maybe more than meets the eye though so I'll google it later'. Looked back at the 'puter and ........ well I don't need to tell you what my friend had posted about do I?

Still this is the winge thread so here goes:-

Zucker baby this is just not on sunshine! Turning a blind eye to nosey parkers wanting my data is one thing, but using psychic powers to predict what I'm about to see on TV is a breach of privacy way too far. Where will it end in your quest to have us all dependant on you? Pack it in right now y'hear!!

Okay okay it was just a minor coincidence ... or was it? These are worrying times. :)

Sollywos x

Sollywos

Tabloid 'news'-papers that not only insist on having 'The Weather' on the front page, but also what 'The Weather' will be like in the next few months. Even worse, the same paper I saw this on today, predicted fantastic weather for the bank holiday earlier this year and got it totally wrong. You'd have thought they would've learnt their lesson, been ashamed of their incompetence, stopped doing it and maybe, call me old fashioned here, actually put some news on the front instead.
The concept of tabloid 'news' being more reliable than their weather predictions is a new one on me.

Yes plain simple unadulterated news and not misleading headlines would be a step in the right direction but I can't see it happening anytime soon as it's not what they are for.

Sollywos x

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
The concept of tabloid 'news' being more reliable than their weather predictions is a new one on me.

Yes plain simple unadulterated news and not misleading headlines would be a step in the right direction but I can't see it happening anytime soon as it's not what they are for.

Sollywos x
I know, you're right of course, but I live in (false) hope!

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Tagging @escargot in on this one cos I know she'll just love what I'm about to say. Symptoms Scargy!

Spent all day yesterday alternating between the settee and the bathroom (sick four! times) and today I don't feel much better although thankfully the absolutely horrific stomach pain has lessened... slightly. Now sitting 'ere waiting to see if my cup of tea will stay down today.

Stupid thing is I don't even know what I've eaten which could have caused it... nothing that was 'off' anyway.

On the plus side... suppose I'll have lost some weight. :D