The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
I am currently working my way through the seasons of Elementary on Prime. I am enjoying it very much, loving guest spots by Rhys Ifans and Sean Pertwee. Especially chuffed with Ophelia Lovibond (love her in W1A). Plus, any show that manages to include Carcass deserves to be watched and treasured (hello Red Dwarf!)

I am, however, irritated by everybody referring to Clyde as a turtle: he looks like a tortoise to me! I accept Watson saying "turtle", she's American; Holmes and Kitty are British. Holmes pronounces "privacy" as a British person does, Watson as an American so why does he go American when it comes to Clyde? (I know there's a technical truth and that Holmes also goes all American when he writes down dates, but still.)

More distressing is that every now and again KItty uses the iPhone "Sonar" sound on her phone for tex alerts. It's my morning alarm sound so I have a Pavlovian response to it of "Oh no!"

GNC

King-Sized Canary
It's so the American audience know what they're talking about. I know what you mean, though, Elizabeth Henstridge and Ian De Caestecker on Agents of SHIELD do it too, and I wonder if they think of us folks back home and feel a bit embarrassed using Americanisms.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
More distressing is that every now and again KItty uses the iPhone "Sonar" sound on her phone for tex alerts. It's my morning alarm sound so I have a Pavlovian response to it of "Oh no!"
Early one morning soon after acquiring an iPhone I heard the alarm and jumped out of bed, horrified because I couldn't remember what shift I was on - no idea at all, as if I wasn't even working at all that day.

I checked and I wasn't, and the alarm hadn't gone off.

The radio had been on all night and the farming programme was about migrant workers all sleeping in caravans and getting up at the crack of dawn to pick fruit. The reporter was spending time with them to see how hard it was. (Very hard indeed as it turned out.)

So my surmise was that I'd heard the reporter's iPhone alarm and responded to it as if it were mine.

Bet I wasn't the only one!

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
Sort of similar, except I don't have any radios or what not in my bedroom. This morning (technically) I heard that sonar sound, and fumbled to get the phone to stop it. LIt the phone up to see that it was 01.25am, no alarm, nothing. Just the conviction that I had heard my alarm. I must have dreamt the sound but it still woke me up.

I stuffed the phone under my pillow and attempted to get back to sleep whilst Archie (who had also woken up) played hunt mummy's feet, quite successfully!

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Sort of similar, except I don't have any radios or what not in my bedroom. This morning (technically) I heard that sonar sound, and fumbled to get the phone to stop it. LIt the phone up to see that it was 01.25am, no alarm, nothing. Just the conviction that I had heard my alarm. I must have dreamt the sound but it still woke me up.

I stuffed the phone under my pillow and attempted to get back to sleep whilst Archie (who had also woken up) played hunt mummy's feet, quite successfully!
I used to have dreams like that in my old place. I'd wake up hearing the doorbell ring, fumble my way to the door and then realise - I don't have a bloody doorbell!

Funny thing is that now I'm in a new place with a doorbell, it doesn't happen.

Ulalume

tart of darkness
I used to have dreams like that in my old place. I'd wake up hearing the doorbell ring, fumble my way to the door and then realise - I don't have a bloody doorbell!

Funny thing is that now I'm in a new place with a doorbell, it doesn't happen.
A friend and I were discussing this recently - being woken up by nonexistent doorbells or knocks. We wonder if it's not some psychological mechanism that happens when a dream starts getting uncomfortable. Perhaps it's trying to prevent us from having a nightmare or something like that.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
A friend and I were discussing this recently - being woken up by nonexistent doorbells or knocks. We wonder if it's not some psychological mechanism that happens when a dream starts getting uncomfortable. Perhaps it's trying to prevent us from having a nightmare or something like that.
I believe this is the case, and here's why ...

When you're asleep (or mostly asleep during the hypnagogic / hypnopompic entry and exit phases) your brain / mind is essentially offline - at least partially disengaged from your peripheral sensory apparatus.

As is evident in dreaming, your isolated brain / mind can generate its own versions of sensory perceptions - most particularly visual and auditory perceptions.

In this relatively isolated mode there's nothing to cause visual / auditory perceptions except your underlying states (e.g., emotion) and nothing to flesh out or substantiate such DIY perceptions except what we call memory. The memory bit is important, because non-existent doorbells / knocks are taken to be familiar sounds.

During our ongoing life experience we cannot help but associate / correlate certain perceptions (e.g., sounds) with a given emotional or reactive state. You hear the phone ring, you react ... You hear someone ringing or knocking at the door, you react ...

In the absence of real time engagement with perception of the external milieu, these associations / correlations can fire off (in neural terms) all on their own, without any conscious orientation to external stimuli to indicate which side of the association is a cause and the other an effect.

I think the doorbell / knock represents an internal emotional state that sort of "backfires" to trigger a perceptual memory associated with such a decisive unexpected auditory prompt. This is why the most common phantom perceptions are interpreted as one or another of the three most common such prompts to which we're accustomed to reacting without thinking: a phone ringing; a doorbell ringing; and knocking at the door.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Very interesting, @EnolaGaia - This reminds me that you have a psychology degree, yes? it must come in very handy for things like this.
Technically - no. My first baccalaureate degree was a customized major blending anthropology and psychology. I have a masters-level background in general, human factors, and cognitive psychology. My only formally credited psychology (per se) item is my doctoral minor in cognitive psychology.

P.S. While on the subject of my history ... I haven't forgotten your request (LOA thread) for me to relate my personal re-engineering odyssey. It's slowly being drafted in what little free time I have amidst all the other forum duties.

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Technically - no. My first baccalaureate degree was a customized major blending anthropology and psychology. I have a masters-level background in general, human factors, and cognitive psychology. My only formally credited psychology (per se) item is my doctoral minor in cognitive psychology.

P.S. While on the subject of my history ... I haven't forgotten your request (LOA thread) for me to relate my personal re-engineering odyssey. It's slowly being drafted in what little free time I have amidst all the other forum duties.
Fantastic, thanks! :)

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.

Great to get a bit of your background EnolaGaia thanks. I always enjoy reading your posts as it's clear you know your stuff!

Sollywos x

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Mr Zebra is just back from taking my car t'garage to get the Air Conditioning recharged/re-gassed/whatever-you-call-it.

Except it didn't work, so they said it might be the compressor and we'll have to book it in again to get that looked at. I've just googled it... and it ain't cheap.

Gaah why is life never straightforward?:rage: Why couldn't it just be the recharge/re-gas that it needed? Why can't it just be that simple?

Thanks, universe.

Last edited:

Schrodinger's Zebra

Have you tried Halfords, not sure if they do that but they do have something to do with A/C
https://www.halfordsautocentres.com/air-conditioning/air-con-pre-inspection-service
Thanks, the garage has already tried the re-gas which didn't work, leaving the probability that it's the compressor (and therefore even more expensive).

I'm just so annoyed that it's one of those things that could have been straight-forward (i.e. re-gas could have fixed it) but for whatever reason has turned out to be more complicated.

I hate when that happens.

Schrodinger's Zebra

You're probably right @Peripart and @Shady... like I said, it's more the "why the hell didn't the simple solution just work" scenario that annoyed me as much as anything; we had it booked in for the re-gas, paid for that, and it ought to have fixed it but universe/fate/cosmic joker decided not.

Sometimes I just wish life would be more straightforward, but it never is, is it.

:dunno:

I'll try to be less depressed, I really shall.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Because you wanted it to work so it didnt, it's life, so be happy and roll a window or two down instead, cheaper. Or you could buy a fan

EnolaGaia

Staff member
... like I said, it's more the "why the hell didn't the simple solution just work" scenario that annoyed me as much as anything; we had it booked in for the re-gas, paid for that, and it ought to have fixed it but universe/fate/cosmic joker decided not. ...
Sorry, but ... You need to "own" the fact you overlooked or attempted to bypass a basic principle - no purely maintenance action on a system will improve its performance if the system itself is flawed, broken, or dysfunctional.

If your car dies with a blown engine it will do no good to refill the gas tank. It's futile to try and inflate a flat tire while ignoring the fist-sized hole in its sidewall.

brownmane

off kilter
It's like when a job that should be straightforward and take 30 minutes ends up taking more than an hour.

Example, my phone jack needed replacing. I looked up how on internet. Just as straightforward as I thought. I bought the new jack and lied on my floor to take off the old one. Yes, first inconvenience is that, for some reason, the jack is less than an inch from the floor.

So I took the wires off, carefully observing colours, sequence - no I am not mechanically inclined - so that I could put everything back as it was. Of course one wire broke off. Crap! Easy remedy is to pull more of the wire through the wall. No cuz some idiot had caulked the wires to the wall.

Next find wire strippers to lengthen the wire connection. Not. My late hubby had all kinds of tools, but no wire stripper to be found. Phone my brother. He comes over (3/4 of an hour gone now) with his wire strippers. He volunteers to replace my jack. 'Course he has to question my know-how first and then he lies his 6 ft frame sideways on the floor to fix what should have been a 1/2 hour tops job.

I never expect anything to work as I plan. The easier the job is, the more things that happen to impede it.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Sorry, but ... You need to "own" the fact you overlooked or attempted to bypass a basic principle - no purely maintenance action on a system will improve its performance if the system itself is flawed, broken, or dysfunctional.

If your car dies with a blown engine it will do no good to refill the gas tank. It's futile to try and inflate a flat tire while ignoring the fist-sized hole in its sidewall.
Wait, what? Air conditioning wasn't working (has never worked in the few months I've owned the car), garage advised re-gas which apparently is the normal way of fixing it, they tried that and it didn't work so they're now saying its probably the compressor.

What part of that did we overlook or attempt to bypass? I'm somewhat confused (not an abnormal state for me, mind you :) ).

It's like when a job that should be straightforward and take 30 minutes ends up taking more than an hour.

Example, my phone jack needed replacing. I looked up how on internet. Just as straightforward as I thought. I bought the new jack and lied on my floor to take off the old one. Yes, first inconvenience is that, for some reason, the jack is less than an inch from the floor.

So I took the wires off, carefully observing colours, sequence - no I am not mechanically inclined - so that I could put everything back as it was. Of course one wire broke off. Crap! Easy remedy is to pull more of the wire through the wall. No cuz some idiot had caulked the wires to the wall.

Next find wire strippers to lengthen the wire connection. Not. My late hubby had all kinds of tools, but no wire stripper to be found. Phone my brother. He comes over (3/4 of an hour gone now) with his wire strippers. He volunteers to replace my jack. 'Course he has to question my know-how first and then he lies his 6 ft frame sideways on the floor to fix what should have been a 1/2 hour tops job.

I never expect anything to work as I plan. The easier the job is, the more things that happen to impede it.
Yup. I feel your pain. :)

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Wait, what? Air conditioning wasn't working (has never worked in the few months I've owned the car), garage advised re-gas which apparently is the normal way of fixing it, they tried that and it didn't work so they're now saying its probably the compressor. ...
OK - then it's on the garage ... They should have done at least a cursory inspection to see if the system seemed functional. Maybe they did; maybe they didn't ...

Schrodinger's Zebra

OK - then it's on the garage ... They should have done at least a cursory inspection to see if the system seemed functional. Maybe they did; maybe they didn't ...
Yeah, I dunno if they did to be honest. :)

I've been doing a cursory google search which suggests we'd be looking at a few hundred pounds o_O to replace the compressor. If that's the case... nope!

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Yeah, I dunno if they did to be honest. :)
I've been doing a cursory google search which suggests we'd be looking at a few hundred pounds o_O to replace the compressor. If that's the case... nope!
A bad / defunct compressor would definitely negate the A/C, but there are other possible faults that could prevent it generating cold air. Leaks, blockages in any of the components, and so forth. It there's no flow in the system it could be most anything. If there's no pressure it's most likely the compressor.