The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
I had the trouble of ants, well both my sister and i, she used to live next door, so, what we did is grab some creosote and we put a thin line all the way around our places, stopped them in their tracks, never had em since

brownmane

Ephemeral Spectre
Grrrr!!! The ants have found another spot to nest - behind the fireplace now!
Try mixing a bit of honey and borax. Put little spots of mixture where you see the ants travelling. The ants love the sweet and will bring it to their nest, thereby poisoning the nest, wherever it may be.

Warning - put it in places where pets and kids can't get into.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I lived in a house with an ant problem. The garden was full of them too, the bitey sort. The front path had them right by the step so if someone stood there too long trying to sell us things they'd soon feel the ants biting and shove off. We didn't get follow-up visits.

Anyway... the ants in the kitchen started overruning the place and nothing worked, so I eventually asked them politely to cool things down a bit.

Stood beside the table and said to them
'We don't mind one or two of you popping in for crumbs but there are hundreds of you, it's too much.'

No more trouble after that. Not stupid, ants.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I lived in a house with an ant problem. The garden was full of them too, the bitey sort. The front path had them right by the step so if someone stood there too long trying to sell us things they'd soon feel the ants biting and shove off. We didn't get follow-up visits.

Anyway... the ants in the kitchen started overruning the place and nothing worked, so I eventually asked them politely to cool things down a bit.

Stood beside the table and said to them
'We don't mind one or two of you popping in for crumbs but there are hundreds of you, it's too much.'

No more trouble after that. Not stupid, ants.
I may try that as a last resort.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Ants did once get a nest going in a gap in the wall behind my fridge. I well recall the day they took flight, because I was hosting a lunch-party!
About this time of the year, iirc.

I put all the usual stuff down, which they were meant to take back to poison the brood. It enfeebled them but it took several years before I could say they were eradicated. That was my lunch-guests but ants got the same treatment.

Ant-powder on the threshold is an unsightly decoration but it has prevented them gaining a foothold since.

You can try charming them à la escargot. Not all locations are suitable for the kettle of boiling water. :exercise:

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
we seem to have solved the ant problems this year by having loads of sparrows who are scoffing the lot.

otoh we do have a bit of a sparrow problem now....

my whinge today. that building alarm which has gone off every night after midnight, for the last 4 nights. grr.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
we seem to have solved the ant problems this year by having loads of sparrows who are scoffing the lot.

otoh we do have a bit of a sparrow problem now....

my whinge today. that building alarm which has gone off every night after midnight, for the last 4 nights. grr.
I'll let the sparrows in through the window, ha ha.
A bit of (apparent) good news. I saw a few ants straggling about this morning, so I sucked them up with the vacuum cleaner and went off to work.
I thought I'd see a whole lot of them crawling about, but they seem to have disappeared. Ant Stop must really work!
Maybe I should have posted this in the Unwhinge thread?
Tomorrow, I will stick fine metal mesh over the air vents in the lounge.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Your place, Shady. Didn't you suspect? Ants out of the bag now!
:O bet you bought it over
He doesn't, he just buys another vacuum cleaner.
I was just wondering if the vacuum cleaner kills them, as i have visions of hundreds of ants shooting up the tube like some sort of water park ride

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I’ve just been out into the back garden, where l’m topping up the bird bath and hedgehog bowl three times per day. The temperature on our back wall - in the shade - is 88.9⁰F. That is eight degrees hotter than my buddy’s house in inland southern Spain at this moment.

We have about 30’ of hose in the garden. The first water out of it is too hot for me to run over my hands.

maximus otter