The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I’m not long back from the gym. There’s a song that they play a lot over the tannoy. I’ve no idea of the artist, but it has the remorseless oompah-oompah cheerfulness of a Japanese diarrhoea medication advert, and the chorus sounds annoyingly like “Paunchy, paunchy-paunchy!”, repeated over and over again.

This is not what I want to hear as a late middle-aged man trying to improve his fitness.

maximus otter

Last edited:

INT21

Antediluvian
Mytho' Shady,

My Saxo is an evil Diesel. The tax man loves it.

At the moment it's up on blocks as I am having to weld in some new metal to get it through it's next test.

INT21

Antediluvian
What annoys me is that mine is usually fueled with my own bio Diesel at the time of the test. And returns emissions far lower than when on DERV. But the tax laws do not allow for that.

INT21

Antediluvian
My only compensation is that I know I am not having to pay the tax on DERV.

All perfectly legal as I don't use enough to pass the personal use threshold.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
My payment might have been a bit higher if i had not forgotten something off of it, the insurance company noticed it was missing and have now put it on, but because it was their fault have put it on at their cost

I’m not long back from the gym. There’s a song that they play a lot over the tannoy. I’ve no idea of the artist, but it has the remorseless oompah-oompah cheerfulness of a Japanese diarrhoea medication advert, and the chorus sounds annoyingly like “Paunchy, paunchy-paunchy!”, repeated over and over again.

This is not what I want to hear as a late middle-aged man trying to improve his fitness.

maximus otter
When does late middle-age end and old age begin iyo? Asking for a friend.

All relative innit.
I've known 15 year-olds who are old-age already. My 76yo Da is as young as ever. He's still a wee gurrier.

Physically, I expect old age begins when you are reliant on others to do most things for you. Loss of independence in movement particularly.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
When does late middle-age end and old age begin iyo? Asking for a friend.
l recently read a broadsheet newspaper which opined that “middle age” could now be stretched to include 64.

l attained that advanced age a few days ago, ergo for one more year l shall cling to the appellation “middle-aged”.

l am already weighing nomenclature options for the period between turning 65, and attaining my old age pension and free bus pass at 67.

maximus otter

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
My life, in general, is a delight. However, in the past few weeks l have succeeded in causing myself minor injuries three times, each through the most ridiculous happenstance:

a) I gave myself a tiny but deep cut in the ball of my left thumb. “How?”, do l hear you ask? From the foil lid of a tuna ready meal, that lethal mechanism.

b) l was pressure-washing green algae off the back patio, and had the bright idea of using the water lance to hose the resulting goo off my feet and legs. Result? Two inches of epidermis off the inside surface of my left knee.

c) While deploying the carousel drier in the back garden yesterday, l stood up too rapidly and scraped some skin off the top of my head on one of its arms.

Considering the damage l can do to myself with the most innocuous artefacts, l am seriously debating whether l should leave the house this weekend with a hunting rifle and knives sharp enough to shave a sleeping mouse.

maximus otter

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
My worst cut was when I opened a can of corned beef. Really bad can design, combined with being a daft teenager.
Mine was when I was about 10, I'd found a garden chair at a bowls club in Barton Under Needwood and thought it would be a laugh to sit inside the frame to rock in it .. so I split the back of my head and had to get stiches, I've still got the lump now .. and a polaroid somewhere.

INT21

Antediluvian
Middle age seems to be a movable feast.

I feel to be in my mid fifties, but the reality shows when I have to get down on the floor while doing some repairs etc.
It's a slight effort. when I passed 65 I passed on all the heavy side of my employment to the younger strong guys. Changing 14" lathe chucks etc. But otherwise I can still do everything I have been used to doing. But I only do it in stages. (work a little bit, rest a little bit; get down tonight etc)
I see that some kids get things like socks or CDs for their dad when he has birthdays. Last week my younger daughter bought me a wheel barrow for my 75 th. I was delighted as I had been about to buy one myself to replace the one that was stolen months back. Now I can get on with some concreting.

So middle age never really happens. You just get older.

But you do get slightly more careless. I was putting the above mentioned wheelbarrow away in my shed 'annex' where the wood is stored. And knocked out one of the stack supports. Whole bloody lot fell on my head.

Unlike Maximus, I don't sit around long enough for the green algae to reach the stage I have to pressure wash it off my backside.

INT21.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
My worst cut was when I opened a can of corned beef. Really bad can design, combined with being a daft teenager.
My worst cut was when I was 18 back in 1981, when I decided to skinny-dip across the River Avon in Bath (Parade Gardens to the other side and back), and cut myself on a piece of glass - probably - the complete length of the inside of my one of middle toes. Took forever to heal and I still have the scar. But that wasn't my worst injury of the night, which was falling down a manhole in Pulteney Street - 12 feet on to stone through the broken manhole. Flip, that hurt. But I was young and bounced back...
I've also got an inch-long scar on my left shin from football - and that was through the shinguard. Without it, I reckon he'd have reached the shin bone or taken the leg off entirely!!

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
Is it now just accepted that children are allowed to watch YouTube and Netflix at the table in restaurants?

We let my daughter watch things for about 30-60mins in the afternoon/evening (winding down after she gets back), and she never asks for our phones when we are away from home, but today she pointed to five other families in the restautant whose children had headphones on and iPads going while their parents ignored them and chatted.

I refused to let her use my phone, but I don't want her to think that her father is an ogre. I told them that the other parents were 'wrong', but I heard my voice echoing back to me and cringed a little.

I can compromise a but, but I've met too many monosyllabic tantrum-prone beasts in the past few years. There's plenty of time for device-addiction in adulthood, isn't there?
I was on a train recently, nice quiet part of the carriage, just me and an older guy reading our papers when we were invaded by a gang of yummy mummies and their little “dahlings”. Kids started bouncing off the seats, screaming, shouting. Yummy mummies deeply engrossed in their phones took not one bit of notice. If one of the kids had been taken by the sandman I doubt they would have noticed until they disembarked at Liverpool Street. They didn’t even converse with one another, it’s little wonder the kids act as they do.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
All relative innit.
I've known 15 year-olds who are old-age already...
You think that's weird, I was corrected by a five year old at basic arithmetic a few days ago. Truthfully, she looked 4 but I'm saying 5 to make myself feel only slightly better ..

She ran over to my van to buy an ice cream for her and her mate, I hadn't fired up my tablet/ till yet .. she watched me trying to add the two figures then smiled and told me the correct amount after I'd gotten it wrong .. What I do is I always start with the big number first .. she wasn't hung over like I was in my defence. She was only as tall as my knees. Her Mum just smiled knowingly. :cool:

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
My life, in general, is a delight. However, in the past few weeks l have succeeded in causing myself minor injuries three times, each through the most ridiculous happenstance:

a) I gave myself a tiny but deep cut in the ball of my left thumb. “How?”, do l hear you ask? From the foil lid of a tuna ready meal, that lethal mechanism.

b) l was pressure-washing green algae off the back patio, and had the bright idea of using the water lance to hose the resulting goo off my feet and legs. Result? Two inches of epidermis off the inside surface of my left knee.

c) While deploying the carousel drier in the back garden yesterday, l stood up too rapidly and scraped some skin off the top of my head on one of its arms.

Considering the damage l can do to myself with the most innocuous artefacts, l am seriously debating whether l should leave the house this weekend with a hunting rifle and knives sharp enough to shave a sleeping mouse.

maximus otter
You sound like a few pages of the accident book on a construction site!

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
You can do it Swifty, just don't let her treat you like shit tho, nobody has a right to do that